Jack

2,820 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Part 1 of 3 airs tonight for anyone wanting to set their dvr's. Hope it's good. There should be countless of chances at reruns given its the golf channel but just a reminder for anyone interested.
Furlock Bones
AG
didn't know. thanks for posting. dvr is now set.
bdgol07
AG
Whew, thanks for the reminder
aginlakeway
AG
Moved back to 8:30 CST tonight ...
DannyDuberstein
AG
FYI - Golf Channel seems to be running 30 minutes behind, so my guide says 8-9, it will be on from 8:30-9:30
birdman
If it is half as good as Arnie, it will be magic. Really looking forward to watching it.

I keep thinking that Golf Channel will start doing more of these programs. They are timeless.
ORAggieFan
One of four US Open winning fraternity brothers of mine.
Mr.Bond
AG
**** I had it set to record and now I bet half of it will be cut off
birdman
Here's a Nicklaus stat.

In his first twenty years after turning pro, he finished Top 5 in 50 majors. Ridiculous.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mr.Bond said:

**** I had it set to record and now I bet half of it will be cut off

Replays midday tomorrow
aginlakeway
AG
Well done.
Bunk Moreland
Great series.

I really didn't even need the narration. Just very well done.

You always assume with guys in that era that they were protected by lack of social media and the 24/7 news cycle, but I'd like to think jack really is 70% as classy as the series makes him out to be.

Great champion. Want to win. Want to be better than anyone. But be humble and respect your opponents while doing it.
jakal0722
In my limited experience with the Nicklaus family, they are as classy as they come. I volunteer at the Memorial every year and I have yet to hear a bad story about him. He has high expectations for his event but he is class.
t - cam
AG
It was entertaining but felt like a puff piece. I have no idea if there is any real controversy in the Nicklaus family but this series had no intention of showing it off there was.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well done. I didn't care for the folksy old-timer narration, but not a big deal.

I buy the lack of controversy. The guy hauled his family around a ton and made it a point to be home as much as he could. I think they just did a great job of staying close and tight knit which goes a long way toward avoiding some of the pitfalls that celebrity families fall into.
CyclingAg82
AG
t - cam said:

It was entertaining but felt like a puff piece. I have no idea if there is any real controversy in the Nicklaus family but this series had no intention of showing it off there was.

One thing about Nicklaus - from everything I have read about him, and now shown in this series....totally devoted to his wife and family. I never really heard of anything remotely controversial about him.

The show did not highlight anything negative- because there wasn't any to speak of. Of course he was in his prime when there weren't multiple idiots around him with cellphone cameras. So there's that.
oldschool87
AG
Shot on 16 at the Masters 86, Jacks Son, "Be good, "

Jack, not even looking, picking up his tee, "It is... "

Pure Gold!!!!!!!!!
oldschool87
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

t - cam said:

One thing about Nicklaus - from everything I have read about him, and now shown in this series....totally devoted to his wife and family. I never really heard of anything remotely controversial about him.

The show did not highlight anything negative- because there wasn't any to speak of. Of course he was in his prime when there weren't multiple idiots around him with cellphone cameras. So there's that.
This is the argument I have made forever!!!!

In his absolute prime age of his golfing career, he tried to play the minimums for roughly 8 years so he could be with his family!!!!

If he practiced half as much as Tiger, not even practiced, just showed up to the course 1 day earlier, he probably wins another 5 majors, and who knows how many more wins, he just did not enter the tournament...

You look at Jack's swing in his twenties, it is pure violence!!!
_lefraud_
AG
Since you mentioned his swing, I'll counter that had Jack played a lot more golf in his prime, than maybe injuries or parts of the body go earlier which wouldn't allow him to play into his 40s.
CyclingAg82
AG
oldschool87 said:

CyclingAg82 said:

t - cam said:

In his absolute prime age of his golfing career, he tried to play the minimums for roughly 8 years so he could be with his family!!!!

If he practiced half as much as Tiger, not even practiced, just showed up to the course 1 day earlier, he probably wins another 5 majors, and who knows how many more wins, he just did not enter the tournament...

Even more amazing was his win total vs. tournaments entered. According to PGA Tour, he entered 595 events and made the cut 506. 286 Top Ten finishes...and then there are the ridiculous stats from the majors. 18 wins and 19 runner ups, is a record for the ages.

Truly astounding.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Hard to believe people mention tiger in same class as Jack.

Tiger closer to long john daily in character
Mr.Bond
AG
People don't compare Tiger to Jack off the course..... Ever.
jonj101
CyclingAg82 said:

t - cam said:

Bingo.

As well as text messages, emails, or any other digital evidence that that could expose what he did away from the spotlight.
jja79
AG
I didn't know the story about his financial crisis while building Muirfield. Not hard to believe though when you think about it.

Over the weekend I was visiting with some golf course design/construction people and they mentioned he had another crisis in the more recent past and lost the Nicklaus Design company. It still bears his name but he's no longer the owner.
Bunk Moreland
CyclingAg82 said:

oldschool87 said:

CyclingAg82 said:

t - cam said:

Even more amazing was his win total vs. tournaments entered. According to PGA Tour, he entered 595 events and made the cut 506. 286 Top Ten finishes...and then there are the ridiculous stats from the majors. 18 wins and 19 runner ups, is a record for the ages.

Truly astounding.

Yeah, the runner ups imo are the biggest takeaway. It's the same with Federer's stats...it's the "almosts" the look most impressive. 18 Grand slam wins sure, but 10 runner ups, 41 semi-finals appearances, and only person to reach the final of each grand slam 5 or more times.

All of the close calls for guys like Jack and Federer help strengthen the case for why getting to 18 is so impressive, and why it'll likely be too hard for anyone else to achieve.
Poot
I took out of that what an incredible psychological warrior he was. Everyone knew majors were a big thing, but he prioritized them in such a way that he actually limited his possible challengers.

With his words/actions/priorities he cranked up the heat in majots to a point where 80% of the field were non factors before they even teed it up.

Incredible.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I think the funniest thing I saw in the Jack documentary was this:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.