Trinity Forest - Dallas

2,072 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by powerbelly
Bobaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had the opportunity to view the track on Friday. A friend has a reciprocal membership and invited a friend, my daughter and her friend. It is an impressive layout. Incredible greens. The links layout is really well done. No carts allowed and a caddy is mandatory for each foursome. It is a tough course. I think the Nelson made a very wise move to Trinity starting in 2018. I predict the tournament will grow in popularity given the uniqueness of the layout.
FTAco07
AG
No carts will be fun when it's 95+ for four months straight. I'd still love to play the course though.
Yesterday
AG
Bobaloo said:

I had the opportunity to view the track on Friday. A friend has a reciprocal membership and invited a friend, my daughter and her friend. It is an impressive layout. Incredible greens. The links layout is really well done. No carts allowed and a caddy is mandatory for each foursome. It is a tough course. I think the Nelson made a very wise move to Trinity starting in 2018. I predict the tournament will grow in popularity given the uniqueness of the layout.

I hope you're right but the Nelson didn't suffer due to the course. TPC Las Colinas is a fantastic course with very little scenary. The Nelson suffers because it's sandwhiched between the Players and US Open coupled with the heat in late May. Their saving grace right now is Jordan Spieth.
grego
AG
The Nelson absolutely suffers from the course. There was a survey of tour pros that had them rank all the courses they played. TPC Four Seasons was near the very bottom. Top (from what I can recall) was Augusta, Pebble, Harbor Town, Colonial, Muirfield.

In talking with a pro last year he said the only real draw to coming to Irving is that players with families love the setup with the hotel and all of its services right there on sight.

I do agree that it also suffers greatly from the calendar, as does Colonial. In addition to being in a bad spot on the calendar it is also essentially opposite the BMW.

It will be interesting to see how the Nelson does the next few years by exchanging a bad course and good accommodations for a good course in a bad area with no accommodations nearby.
Tom Hagen
AG
It doesn't look like a spectator friendly course. No trees for shade, and located in an area where you wouldn't want to hang out before or after.
Yesterday
AG
grego said:

The Nelson absolutely suffers from the course. There was a survey of tour pros that had them rank all the courses they played. TPC Four Seasons was near the very bottom. Top (from what I can recall) was Augusta, Pebble, Harbor Town, Colonial, Muirfield.

In talking with a pro last year he said the only real draw to coming to Irving is that players with families love the setup with the hotel and all of its services right there on sight.

I do agree that it also suffers greatly from the calendar, as does Colonial. In addition to being in a bad spot on the calendar it is also essentially opposite the BMW.

It will be interesting to see how the Nelson does the next few years by exchanging a bad course and good accommodations for a good course in a bad area with no accommodations nearby.

I hope you're right because I'd love to watch top 10 players in my hometown. I just don't see it with the schedule. Even if the course moves up 10 spots on the favorite course list, will that make a difference? Hasn't really helped Colonial.
FTAco07
AG
Bump for an old thread. I had the chance to play Trinity Forest recently and overall I was not a fan. The course was in fantastic shape and was actually prettier than I anticipated, but the greens are borderline unfair. The course has been open for a year and they are still rock hard to the point that I'm not sure anybody in our foursome had a ball mark to repair all day. To add to that the caddies said they were rolling a 12. The green complexes are huge, but depending on where the pin is your landing target may only be a few feet in diameter if you want a put inside of 20 feet. I'm far from a good player, but I didn't make a single put outside of five feet and had a couple of four putts if you count putts from off the green (and you're probably not chipping from anywhere near the green). All in all it was one of the more mentally taxing and frustrating rounds of golf I've ever played.

The tour pros are going to eat that course alive from tee to green if the wind isn't howling, but they are going to throw a fit on and around the greens. I also don't have any idea how they plan to accommodate a crowd on the course because there just isn't that much room off the fairways that isn't native waste area.

All in all I'm certainly glad I got to play it, and it will help me understand and appreciate what the pros do out there, but I can't imagine playing that course on a regular basis unless you are a whiz with the flat stick or a masochist.

BTW, they do have carts and golf boards for those who want them, but it's a great layout to walk if the weather allows for it. The course rates 74.8/132 from the back tees and 71.8/129 from the whites.
hoya-ag
AG
Been thinking about trying to get a tee time out there. Worth the $350 green fee?
FTAco07
AG
Not to me, unless you just want to say you played the course the pros play. I don't know the policy on public tee times, but I was told at some point they are only going to have one a day available. I was a guest of a member and I think the guest fee was only $100 or $125. Don't forget a caddie is mandatory and will add to the cost.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Its funny, other pros have said they never bring their wife to the Nelson due to the scenery.
Yesterday
AG
Funny timing. I played with Greg Chalmers last week and he thinks it will be back at TPC Las
Colinas within two years. He said the course isn't getting good feedback from the pros who have played it. He said TPC Las Colinas is at the bottom of the list as far as courses go but the all around amenities that it has helps the tournament draw. He said if Trinity Forest doesn't wow the field then the Nelson will be in a world of hurt.
Tom Hagen
AG
That is exactly what I was thinking.
powerbelly
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Funny timing. I played with Greg Chalmers last week and he thinks it will be back at TPC Las
Colinas within two years. He said the course isn't getting good feedback from the pros who have played it. He said TPC Las Colinas is at the bottom of the list as far as courses go but the all around amenities that it has helps the tournament draw. He said if Trinity Forest doesn't wow the field then the Nelson will be in a world of hurt.
ATT is the second largest sponsor on the PGA tour and they want the tourney at TF. I don't see it moving back to TPC Las Colinas for any reason.

The biggest threat to the Nelson is ATT breaking ties with the Salemanship club.
Yesterday
AG
powerbelly51 said:

03ki11erAG said:

ATT is the second largest sponsor on the PGA tour and they want the tourney at TF. I don't see it moving back to TPC Las Colinas for any reason.

The biggest threat to the Nelson is ATT breaking ties with the Salemanship club.

I agree that the tourney will stay at TF as long as AT&T wants it there, but that doesn't mean the players will go there. AT&T wants a better field and a better all around tournament. If the new course doesn't do that will they still want it at TF?

I hope it's a huge success because A. I'm a golf fan and another premier course in Dallas is good and B. TPC Las Colinas will do well regardless thanks to the 4 Seasons.
powerbelly
AG
I know Speith will play, and if his buddies also play it should be an okay field. I think the calendar will also have a large impact on the field.

ETA: Wrong emoji
dc509
AG
This might be a long shot, but if for some reason AT&T becomes displeased with TF I wonder if they would take a look at Maridoe. Huddleston is also trying to create a course that could host the US Open. No one is really talking much about Maridoe past a D Magazine feature, and were TF to fumble the Byron then that could be an opportunity for them.
powerbelly
AG
Huddleston is almost universally disliked in Dallas. I don't think anyone really wants to have to do business with him.
dc509
AG
I agree. He's going to have a nice shiny country club though. As a lover of golf I'm at least semi interested to see what happens with his course. He's clearly shooting for big things, but no one really cares. That much money and effort is likely to attract some attention at some point.
powerbelly
AG
Agree, I think it will be from someone who doesn't know his reputation.

It takes a special kind of ******* to not be able to join any of the major Dallas clubs, even with his family connections.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.