Courses near Athens, Tx

1,409 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by powerbelly
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When visiting family in the area we usually play Twin Lakes which is always nice. I've also played Pinnacle in Mabank which is pretty good for the price. What other courses in the area should I try?

I always here about Pine Dunes but reading reviews online it seems that course conditions don't always match the price tag...
Stive
AG
Garden Valley plays decent and is a pretty little course for the price (just off I-20 between Lindale and Canton).

Pine Dunes has the reputation but some people aren't big fans for mixed reasons (for every person that doesn't like it, there's two more that love it, so mixed reviews all around).
FirefightAg
AG
Pine dunes is good
MarkPro
Drive up 19 towards Canton and play Twin Lakes. Really fun. I second Garden Valley and Pine Dunes.
oldschool87
AG
Pine dunes...

Ask to see JFF stuff in the back. Pro and jff family were good friends. Has some stuff and the OU A&M cotton bowl helmet.

Pine dunes is pretty good! Just don't stay there!
AustinCountyAg
Looks like the F.I.L. got us set up at Kings Creek? He has a buddy that's a member there so he wants to play there with him....

Never heard of the place. What should I expect?
DadAG10
Goat Ranch, always windy on the north side of lake.

That was from 15+ years ago the last time I played.

Will anxiously await your review.
AustinCountyAg
DadAG10 said:

Goat Ranch, always windy on the north side of lake.

That was from 15+ years ago the last time I played.

Will anxiously await your review.

Damn
AV8ORAG84
AG
Pine Dunes is a good option. You can always go up to Canton and play Van Zandt Country Club, call them , I think they will,let you play if from out of town. It is a good course.
AustinCountyAg
Ended up skipping on Kemp course and we are playing pinnacle.... should be interesting. Sounds like the dudes we are playing with and hard core east tx type if you know what I mean
Stive
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Ended up skipping on Kemp course and we are playing pinnacle.... should be interesting. Sounds like the dudes we are playing with and hard core east tx type if you know what I mean

Go on....
Lupac
AG
What's the issue with staying at Pine Dunes? I've never been but have a work golf outing there next weekend and staying at the condos onsite.
oldschool87
AG
It's fine, for a guys golf outing.

It's just not whats in the brochure shall we say...
DadAG10
Pinnacle several steps above Kings Creek.

Haven't played there in a while.

Let us know the conditions.
AustinCountyAg
DadAG10 said:

Pinnacle several steps above Kings Creek.

Haven't played there in a while.

Let us know the conditions.

Pinnacle was in pretty good shape today. $37 for afternoon round was a little steep since it can be booked on golfnow for $25. Greens looked like the were just punched a week or two ago. Fairways were running fast. Greens on the front nine were pretty dang quick. Overall it was worth the price.

It also helped I played pretty good today. 5 over on the front and nine over on the back. Had several horrible swings on the back that cost me a stroke or two. I enjoyed it as a change of pace from our usual rounds at twin lakes.
Gil Renard
AG
Played Garden Valley yesterday. Very pretty course
AustinCountyAg
Gil Renard said:

Played Garden Valley yesterday. Very pretty course
how does it compare to twin lakes?
claybot
AG
I played Pinnacle on Friday also. The in-laws are members and have a house down there so I get out there quite a bit. It's a fun track, super narrow so always challenging. It's currently in pretty good shape by Pinnacle standards. The members recently bought the course and are doing thier best to make some improvements. Unfortunately though, the older members out-voted the others to cut down 2 very old trees in order to make the course easier. One guarding the right side of #1 green and one in #15 fairway. But definitely worth playing if you're in the area.

I prefer all the other courses mentioned here over Pinnacle though ... Pine Dunes, Twin Lakes and Garden Valley. It's just hard to drive anywhere else when Pinnacle is in the backyard.
Gil Renard
AG
I liked twin lakes better but I'm not picky I liked both. Greens were in better shape at twin lakes but that was last year
powerbelly
AG
Lupac said:

What's the issue with staying at Pine Dunes? I've never been but have a work golf outing there next weekend and staying at the condos onsite.
Nothing. They are just bare bones accommodations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.