Houston Mayor is an absolute Moron

18,287 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAG 05
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I find it interesting that everyone is knocking the decision because the tournament might not be as successful as it currently is. Like it's somehow forgotten that the tournament was a complete joke before being made what it is now.

Stop judging memorial based on what it is. Redstone / Golf Club of Houston had to be made into the club that it is. Memorial is centrally located and has thousands of wooded acres around it. It can be made into anything they want. You're either being selfish / shortsighted that you don't want it improved or not considering that a tournament course could be built next to it.

My opinion of the mayor aside. If it can be done it could be a great marketing and fund raising endeavor for the city. Whether you admit it or not, it sucks that the Houston Open isn't actually in Houston. And a centrally located event of this scale is always better than on the fringes.

I'd personally love to see the conservancy use a little of that swamp to build a world class tournament golf course that could really benefit the rest of the park, munis, and Houston. It even makes sense to partner with the polo club for the amenities right next door. The tournament course at Camp Logan sounds nice. Do it right and a US Open could happen. There's definitely room to add a Greenbriar like hotel / spa and Shooting facility.

It might fail, but it could also become much more than the SHO is today. Hell, I hope they make all of you eat crow.
Pahdz
The biggest hurdle for people (council) would be the lost revenue from shutting it down to renovate and believing that would be made up in future ventures.
AgLA06
AG
Pahdz said:

The biggest hurdle for people (council) would be the lost revenue from shutting it down to renovate and believing that would be made up in future ventures.

Agreed. It would take locking in a long term sponsor and a plan that shows how profits from the tournament can subsidize / improve the other munis. If they ever want to make munis in Houston truly work (profitable) they need more centrally located like Memorial and Hermann. Improve Herman a little and it could be profitable (if it already isn't) as well.

I love living in town. My biggest complaint is that I have to drive a ways to the burbs to play golf because Hermann and Memorial are over crowded and impossible.
07fta07
AG
It's not going to Memorial. Based on what I've heard, it's not going anywhere.
Ag_07
AG
Played Memorial for the first time in a few months this weekend.

It's a shlt hole right now. Worst shape it's been in years. Sandy, torn up tee boxes and chewed up, crappy greens.

No way in hell that course could host a PGA event within the next 3 years.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Speaking as a Dallas golfer that grew up attending the Byron Nelson but in recent years seeing its field really suffer from a **** date on the PGA calendar (week after Players Championship), it would be a shame to see Houston piss away what has become a very good date with a bad decision here. Hope they work it out.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

Played Memorial for the first time in a few months this weekend.

It's a shlt hole right now. Worst shape it's been in years. Sandy, torn up tee boxes and chewed up, crappy greens.

No way in hell that course could host a PGA event within the next 3 years.

They just airrated the greens tees and fairways within the last 2 weeks or so.
Before that it was in pretty good shape
jonj101
AgLA06 said:

I find it interesting that everyone is knocking the decision because the tournament might not be as successful as it currently is. Like it's somehow forgotten that the tournament was a complete joke before being made what it is now.

Stop judging memorial based on what it is. Redstone / Golf Club of Houston had to be made into the club that it is. Memorial is centrally located and has thousands of wooded acres around it. It can be made into anything they want. You're either being selfish / shortsighted that you don't want it improved or not considering that a tournament course could be built next to it.

My opinion of the mayor aside. If it can be done it could be a great marketing and fund raising endeavor for the city. Whether you admit it or not, it sucks that the Houston Open isn't actually in Houston. And a centrally located event of this scale is always better than on the fringes.

I'd personally love to see the conservancy use a little of that swamp to build a world class tournament golf course that could really benefit the rest of the park, munis, and Houston. It even makes sense to partner with the polo club for the amenities right next door. The tournament course at Camp Logan sounds nice. Do it right and a US Open could happen. There's definitely room to add a Greenbriar like hotel / spa and Shooting facility.

It might fail, but it could also become much more than the SHO is today. Hell, I hope they make all of you eat crow.

Is this a semi-troll attempt?
AgLA06
AG
No.

Why couldn't that happen?
jonj101
Its not so much that it "couldn't" happen, its more like it won't happen.

Those tweets that were posted at the beginning of the thread as well as discussions around the event give no indication that COH is interested in building a second championship caliber golf course, with a number of complimentary amenities. The view is that they want the event at the existing Memorial Park golf course.

If what they were proposing was the option of a second world class course that could still attract a strong field as a prep for Augusta and attract a major championship, then I'm sure a number of people would be supportive to that. But aside from your post no where have I seen that discussed. It also doesn't suck that the Houston Open isn't technically in the COH limits. It's inside the beltway and not hard to access, and on a course that was designed to accommodate a large scale event.
Ag_07
AG
Aeration doesn't damage greens and tees like that. Hell they aerated over 2 weeks ago. Healthy greens should bounce back by then with our weather.

We play there quite often and during the spring and summer about once a week or so but we won't be back for awhile. It's crap.
cheeky
AG
AgLA06 said:

Selfish? U.S. Open?!? The polo club? Mr. Mayor, put the bottle down and get some rest!
Mr.Bond
AG
My god the field this week is atrocious. This is what the Houston Open will be like at memorial Park
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Mr.Bond said:

My god the field this week is atrocious. This is what the Houston Open will be like at memorial Park

Well most of the guys are taking the week off after the PGA and those who've clinched a spot in the 125 are resting. So that has something to do with it.
Mr.Bond
AG
I understand just making a point to the previous discussion
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

tandy miller
AG
Haven't watched any of this tourney bc of this exact reason... hard to get excited about a bunch of unknowns.

And as far as the location goes, I honestly don't care. I went to the SHO this year for my first PGA experience and had a blast. I DGAF where it's held.... if I can have an experience like I did this year I will gladly go wherever it's held in the Houston area
Mr.Bond
AG
Don't you think the venue and field had something to do with the level of fun you had

AgLA06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Don't you think the venue and field had something to do with the level of fun you had

I don't think the average casual fan going to the tournament gives a second thought what course or players. TV viewers, sure.

Outside of Phil or Speith, there really isn't a noticeable difference in galleries and I don't see either not coming regardless.
_lefraud_
AG
1. There are 7 major champions currently in the top 25 today, and Henrik Stenson is the leader. Not too shabby for the week after a major and week before the playoffs start. Yea, it's not the greatest field, but it's not the Barbasol Championship either.

As for Houston. The stop there is all about the schedule. It's gotten solid fields the past several years because it falls the week before the Masters. Sure, the tournament committee helps entice guys to play by how they setup the golf course, but let's not kid ourselves here. If the SHO were anywhere else on the schedule, especially the week AFTER a major, the field would be pretty meh, no matter where they play the actual tournament.

If anything, the people with the SHO need to to do whatever it takes to not lose that spot on the schedule.
tandy miller
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Absolutely. What I meant was that as long as conditions are good and there's a decent field location wouldn't matter to me
RustyBV
AG
The latest:
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/11/27/houston-open-pursues-alternate-sponsorship-model.html
Mr.Bond
AG
Subscription required

Yesterday
AG
The Houston Golf Association could employ a different sponsorship model for its largest annual golf event in the Bayou City.
Organizers with the Houston Open, along with the PGA Tour, have been pursuing smaller investments from multiple sponsors over the past few weeks as they continue to look for a solo title sponsor for the 2018 event, said Steve Timms, the Houston Golf Association's president and CEO. The Houston Open has been searching for a new title sponsor after Shell Oil Co. announced in June 2016 it would discontinue its partnership with the event.
The move to have multiple sponsors is rare in the PGA Tour only one other event, the Players Championship, uses a similar model.
"It would be a smaller investment than the full title (sponsor)," Timms said. "(But) it would aggregate up to a full title sponsorship."
The deal could potentially involve up to three companies, called founding partners, with significant presences in Houston, Timms said. If this deal is reached, the event would likely be called the Houston Open sponsored by the founding partners.
Founding partners could be a mix of local and national sponsors and would likely be from different industries for example, the companies wouldn't all be focused in energy, Timms said.
Talks started after Hurricane Harvey between HGA and the PGA about the potential new sponsorship model. This structure would also help focus the event's attention on Houston and celebrate the city's recovery after one of the costliest natural disasters in U.S. history, Timms said.
Timms said he couldn't predict when a deal with a title sponsor or founding partners could be reached, but said he'd like to have a deal signed "as soon as possible" since the 2018 event is scheduled to occur March 26 to April 1.
Multiple sponsors could be tricky to juggle, but having sponsors outweighs not having sponsors for the Houston Open, said Tom Stallings, a professor in the practice for the Department of Sport Management at Rice University. The new model could also expose the Houston brand to more companies.
"This is a tremendous opportunity for people who have not been in the sponsorship arena," Stallings said.
The PGA Tour declined to comment.
Yesterday
AG
Sounds like what they're trying to do at Colonial.
JYDog90
AG
I guess Tillman is cash poor right now?
Matsui
AG
Why is that?
TXAG 05
AG
Just bought the Rockets

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.