Phil Mickelson

1,928 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by t - cam
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know all about the FIGJAM stuff. I know some people think he's fake and arrogant and cocky. I spent a lot of time rooting against him actually.

But having just seen him in person for the first time (followed him for about 9 holes today), you know what? I get the love now. I see why he is so popular. Fake or not, doesn't change fact that he engages the fans and is polite and makes everyone feel special. I watched a ton of golfers in person the last two days in Austin and Phil was the only player I saw- literally the only one- who talked to the fans.

He responded when people yelled at him. Sometimes he spoke, sometimes he just nodded and gave a thumbs up. But he listens and he engages.

He gave a kid a ball right in front of me today. No reason, just to make a kid happy. I saw no other players do that.

When he hit his drive into the rough on the par 5 sixth, when he arrived at his ball he first greeted and thanked the volunteers who had to move the ropes for him,and then he walked into the crowd and asked how everyone was doing. He looked up and smiled.

When walking with Berger down the fairway, he talked with a normal voice to where we fans could actually hear him. The other players talked quietly, like they were telling secrets.

I've never been a huge Phil fan. Now, in all honesty, I can't help but be. Part of that is the appreciation you get from seeing people in person and then just seeing his every interaction for two hours, it's impressive.

If that's what fake is, I'll take it. Sports needs more like him.

Boo Weekley
I'm with you. I've razzed him at times on here and get that he can be cocky to other players and likes to swindle them out of their money (supposedly), but he does the opposite for his fans. He gives them more than their money's worth imo and goes out of his way to make them feel special or like they're a part of the game. I tried to not like him, but I can't help it, I'm a fan.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Supposedly tips the clubhouse workers very well too, I'm a lefty fan.
Harry Stone
AG
If he has been doing it his entire career how is it fake? You cant fake being good to fans for 20 years.
watty
AG
Exactly
Thisguy1
I've followed him every time I've gone to the SHO and he's there. Really does seem like a very likeable guy, and I obviously like him because I follow him when I'm down there.

That being said, he's still a very "confident" guy. Which I'm cool with. I hated the black leather jacket on Feherty though.
Matsui
AG
He learned from Palmer. It's awesome.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Even if it was fake, it just shows he's smart about marketing himself and the game. That's no knock in my book.

In reality though, I think he's just a competitive guy with incredible skill, a lot of confidence, he loves what he does for a living, and he's not shy about interacting with people. I really think he legiitimately has a lot of appreciation for what kind of life this game (and its fans) has allowed him to lead, and that oozes out in his interaction with fans.
Matsui
AG
Golf is a loner mans sport so not suprisiing that overly engaging guys stick out.
powerbelly
AG
This won me over to Phil. I don't care how much of a dick he is in private.

jackie childs
AgOutsideAustin said:

I've seen a couple of golf digest articles about this, including this one from 2014:

Quote:

Phil Mickelson's ball started left and kept fading. Left of Winged Foot's 72nd-hole fairway; left of the rough, the crowd, the trees lining the fairway, and into a hospitality tent stationed on the neighboring hole. After four more shots, Phil held his head in his hands before making a meaningless putt.

"I just can't believe I did that," he said afterward. "I am such an idiot."

The worst collapse of Mickelson's career was complete. He had lost the 2006 U.S. Open by one shot with a double bogey on the final hole.

But that's not where the story ends. After making the obligatory media stops and signing autographs, Phil sought out Winged Foot's staff members. He thanked them for their work, shook their hands, and discreetly handed each a wad of cash: $1,000 here, $1,500 there. Phil had spent a lot of time preparing at Winged Foot before that year's Open, so he wanted to thank everyone.

It's reasonable to estimate that Mickelson handed about $10,000 in tips to staff throughout the week, according to people who were there. But as he was driving away, Phil felt compelled to turn the car around. In the craziness after his collapse, he realized he had forgotten to tip a handful of the locker-room guys, and he didn't want to leave without taking care of everyone.
LHIOB
AG
If Phil wasn't cocky he wouldn't be Phil. He'd be another PGA pro making 7 figures a year playing golf.

Cocky Phil lets you see him hit a 64* wedge off a tight lie short sided with water long to 8 inches.

My brother (Aggie369) mentioned on another thread that one year at the US Open (I think?) Phil let my dad hit his Yonex clubs. My dad was left handed and a damned good golfer. He liked them so Phil sent him a set. Just like that.

Manziel has a little Phil to him. This might blow up in your face or it could be awesome. If you follow Phil for 18 holes there is a 100% chance you will see something awesome. And 9 times out of 10 that awesome shot comes after a drive thats worse than any drive Ive ever hit.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
jackie childs said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

I've seen a couple of golf digest articles about this, including this one from 2014:

Quote:

Phil Mickelson's ball started left and kept fading. Left of Winged Foot's 72nd-hole fairway; left of the rough, the crowd, the trees lining the fairway, and into a hospitality tent stationed on the neighboring hole. After four more shots, Phil held his head in his hands before making a meaningless putt.

"I just can't believe I did that," he said afterward. "I am such an idiot."

The worst collapse of Mickelson's career was complete. He had lost the 2006 U.S. Open by one shot with a double bogey on the final hole.

But that's not where the story ends. After making the obligatory media stops and signing autographs, Phil sought out Winged Foot's staff members. He thanked them for their work, shook their hands, and discreetly handed each a wad of cash: $1,000 here, $1,500 there. Phil had spent a lot of time preparing at Winged Foot before that year's Open, so he wanted to thank everyone.

It's reasonable to estimate that Mickelson handed about $10,000 in tips to staff throughout the week, according to people who were there. But as he was driving away, Phil felt compelled to turn the car around. In the craziness after his collapse, he realized he had forgotten to tip a handful of the locker-room guys, and he didn't want to leave without taking care of everyone.

That's why I like him! Thanks for the story.
t - cam
AG
I've lived an died with Phil over the last 25 years of his career. I am a fan of his the same way I am of Aggie sports or Dallas pro franchises. Love hearing these stories that help confirm what I have always believed to be true. When people break out their negative Phil stories the source is always some guy that knows a guy.
jackie childs
following up on the earlier story I posted, Golf Digest (I swear I don't work for them) did another feature in one issue last year where one of their writers walked around and asked players how much cash they typically have on them (wallet or in the bag).

while some carry very little, most of the bigger name guys they talked to carried a few hundred bucks. but not Phil...he had $8,100

Golf Digest- Carrying Cash

watty
AG
LHIOB
AG
Phils pants and shoes cost more than every other piece of clothing in the photo
t - cam
AG
watty said:

Dudes a phony.

Just kidding.

I must say I do love that the match play is in Austin now. I don't realize while watching every week but there are so few courses around the globe that look like our southwest hill country courses. The big stones built into the terrain, the wispy mesquite trees. It's a cools style of golf course that is pretty unique to our region.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.