Enjoying golf when playing with social golfers

5,725 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agsalaska
Post removed:
by user
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "right" answer is-- Know it's just for fun and don't keep score

I hate playing with those people...i tell myself I just won't play but any golf is better than no golf

I'm sure this may get some "you sound fun to play with" comments but honestly I only enjoy playing with people who like to get better...its fun to compete and easier to focus. I don't play golf for fun....i have fun when I get to play actual golf

1208HawkTree
AG
Join them and don't worry about it. Unless I paid a lot of money and/or it's a really exclusive course that I wouldn't normally be able to play otherwise, I'm all for the occasional grip it, rip it, then chug it round of golf with friends. As long as they aren't being obnoxious jackasses, damaging the course/carts, etc. I don't have a problem with others having a good time as well.
t - cam
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Title says it all. I'm talking about your buddies that play once or twice a year (scrambles/weddings/etc), don't know/don't care about rules, drink heavily, and probably shoot 130 if they bothered counting.

How to extract maximum enjoyment out of these rounds?
Talk a lot, listen to music, drink and enjoy the day outside.
Honestly my friends and I play most of our rounds this way. I'm an 80's golfer who will sink into the 70's on occasion but I just don't really prefer to take the game seriously. I'm out for a day with friends playing a game I love but it's casual to say the least.
Boo Weekley
I love playing with my rowdy buddies who don't take the game too seriously. I have fun with them and I still try on every shot but luckily music, talking, joking etc. don't affect my game. I have found that only I can do that. And it has usually been by over serving myself.

I also really enjoy walking memorial park or hermann after a half or full day of work and getting paired with randoms. I tend to be more serious about the game and actually completely sober in these situations but love meeting new people and making friends out there. In all of my years of heading to the course solo, I have only been grouped with maybe 2-3 people who were not very pleasant, but it wasn't so bad that I remember anything about them. We just kind of ignored each other. And I respect that.
EMY92
AG
Do what all of the others in the scramble do and turn in your score card with a 51 on it, instead of the 85 that you really shot.
Thisguy1
I recently played with a group of buddies that are sort of the way you described. They don't play too often but I invited them out to the course my brother is the assistant pro at while they were on spring break. They're all old baseball players so they wanted to play a scramble to keep it competitive. I agreed. They wanted them 3 vs me. I said sure because I play way more than all of them combined but they were only playing the best drive, then playing their own ball from there (mainly because I didn't want them having 3 looks at every putt). We decided to just play it as them playing the best shot every time, putts included.

I played very well. Shot a 72.

They played out of their minds and also shot a 72.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As long as they are keeping up, I'm not bothered in the least. I care about my game and what i shoot, but I'm not an intense grinder out there. I like to relax and joke around, and usually play better golf that way vs in some overly serious, locked-in 4some.
07fta07
AG
My general experience is those types of people are obnoxious, bother other groups, play music too loud, and tear up the course. I want no part in that. I play golf for fun, but part of the fun to me is trying to get better and improve my game/score. I don't mind a beer round every now and then but with others who know how to keep it under control on the course. Saying that, I generally play at private courses so my level of expectation on behavior is a bit higher than if we are talking a ****ty goat track.
agsalaska
AG
Aggie369 said:

I hate playing with those people...i tell myself I just won't play but any golf is better than no golf

I'm sure this may get some "you sound fun to play with" comments but honestly I only enjoy playing with people who like to get better...its fun to compete and easier to focus. I don't play golf for fun....i have fun when I get to play actual golf

My feelings exactly. I take it too seriously to really enjoy that kind of stuff.

That's not to say I don't like playing with guys who shoot 95+. That's not necessarily true. I have a group of relatives I play with several times a year that are lucky to shoot 90. But they have good etiquette(relatively) and are trying to score.

But if goal number one is to get drunk and loud and **** off I am out. Nothing wrong with it. Just not my game. I go to bars or backyards for that.
Aggie369
AG
Yep...me too

I don't mind the scores...i think it's the purpose of trying to play vs goofing off

07fta07
AG
I don't care if you shoot 70 or 120. If you have decent golf etiquette and don't play slow, I have no problem. Everyone has to start somewhere.
jgh85Ag
AG
Kaos needs to add another category on the sign up sheet.
Mr.Bond
AG
agsalaska said:

Aggie369 said:

My feelings exactly. I take it too seriously to really enjoy that kind of stuff.

That's not to say I don't like playing with guys who shoot 95+. That's not necessarily true. I have a group of relatives I play with several times a year that are lucky to shoot 90. But they have good etiquette(relatively) and are trying to score.

But if goal number one is to get drunk and loud and **** off I am out. Nothing wrong with it. Just not my game. I go to bars or backyards for that.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

As long as they aren't being obnoxious jackasses, damaging the course/carts, etc. I don't have a problem with others having a good time as well.
I was playing behind a foursome of drunk jackasses at Avery Ranch (Austin) that were very slow and completely oblivious to it. They were yucking it up on every shot and acting like they were the only ones on the course. NEVER, EVER be that foursome!
t - cam
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

As long as they aren't being obnoxious jackasses, damaging the course/carts, etc. I don't have a problem with others having a good time as well.
I was playing behind a foursome of drunk jackasses at Avery Ranch (Austin) that were very slow and completely oblivious to it. They were yucking it up on every shot and acting like they were the only ones on the course. NEVER, EVER be that foursome!

Agreed, have all the fun you want and take it as loosely as you want but keep up or let people play through.
AggieC07
AG
I think some of you guys hit it on the head, when I'm playing with some buddies who want to kick some brews back, listen to music and what not - I'm definitely ok with that. But I try to at least round up the crew and keep play moving.
t - cam
AG
AggieC07 said:

I think some of you guys hit it on the head, when I'm playing with some buddies who want to kick some brews back, listen to music and what not - I'm definitely ok with that. But I try to at least round up the crew and keep play moving.
Good point. If you are the golfer in a bunch of non golfers it can be a bummer but it's definitely your job to keep the group moving. You are the ambassador of the game for your group.
LHIOB
AG
I got paired with a guy one day and on the first tee box we introduce ourselves. He said, "Hi. My friends call me Doctor. Doctor ****stick." I laughed my ass off. I bet shot 130 but he wasn't slow and never spent more than a minute or 2 looking for lost ball. I bet we played in less than 3 hours and he was a riot.
Ag_07
AG
Keep. Drinking. Beer.
CTGilley
AG
t - cam said:

AggieC07 said:

Good point. If you are the golfer in a bunch of non golfers it can be a bummer but it's definitely your job to keep the group moving. You are the ambassador of the game for your group.
Thank you! I wanted to make this point but did not have time earlier. If your group cant help but be slow, pull over and let others play through. If it is crowded keep up no matter what! play is already slow, don't make it slower!
White Liberals=The Worst
LHIOB said:

I got paired with a guy one day and on the first tee box we introduce ourselves. He said, "Hi. My friends call me Doctor. Doctor ****stick." I laughed my ass off. I bet shot 130 but he wasn't slow and never spent more than a minute or 2 looking for lost ball. I bet we played in less than 3 hours and he was a riot.
I got grouped into a random 4some at Memorial Park about a year ago for a twilight round. Me, two perfectly sober fellow-30-something-decent-to-good golfers, and some 45-50 yr old who looked like a grown up frat man had just attended a wine tasting and was wasted off his ass. It was clear on the first tee as he asked something about our sexual preferences as he was wobbling a bit and I thought it was going to be a disaster...mostly because I pegged the other two guys as the type who wouldn't put up with him for very long. Nothing really bothers me at all on the course. He had us all rolling the entire 12 or 13 holes. He was over the top ridiculous at times but hilarious and never too obscene or disrespectful and had enough experience with people to know to keep it within the lines and avoid violating basic etiquette. We all enjoyed him and ended up playing more relaxed as a result. But I could see how he would p*ss certain people off to high heaven.

Turns out he's the "wine manager" at some trendy restaurant in Houston. Offered us all a free round of drinks and meal towards the end of the round and was a really cool dude. Just hope he got home safe.
Blahhead
Wycliffe_03 said:

LHIOB said:

I got grouped into a random 4some at Memorial Park about a year ago for a twilight round. Me, two perfectly sober fellow-30-something-decent-to-good golfers, and some 45-50 yr old who looked like a grown up frat man had just attended a wine tasting and was wasted off his ass. It was clear on the first tee as he asked something about our sexual preferences as he was wobbling a bit and I thought it was going to be a disaster...mostly because I pegged the other two guys as the type who wouldn't put up with him for very long. Nothing really bothers me at all on the course. He had us all rolling the entire 12 or 13 holes. He was over the top ridiculous at times but hilarious and never too obscene or disrespectful and had enough experience with people to know to keep it within the lines and avoid violating basic etiquette. We all enjoyed him and ended up playing more relaxed as a result. But I could see how he would p*ss certain people off to high heaven.

Turns out he's the "wine manager" at some trendy restaurant in Houston. Offered us all a free round of drinks and meal towards the end of the round and was a really cool dude. Just hope he got home safe.

This is awesome. Golf is supposed to be fun, no matter what your definition of "fun" really is. I've played with tokers and drunks who could school most on this board. I've played with people who blare the speakers with rap and still shoot -2. Golf is what you make of it.

For the most of us, we're not pros. We play golf for FUN. What is fun for each of us, might be subjective, but it should be fun. If an intense round is fun -- that's cool. If drinking and toking is fun -- that's cool, too.

As long as you have a DD or Uber, who cares?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Quite a few years ago I was playing as a single in the afternoon, finally caught up to a threesome after about 5 holes, they waved me up and asked about playing through. I told them I didn't mind playing with them, I like the social aspect. It wasn't until we were walking off 17 that one of them said "hey Dave, tell him what you do for a living". Dave sort of deferred and didn't push it when one of them finally said "Dave's a priest". I immediately started doing inventory to see how long (actually how much longer) I was going to be in hell based on some of the stuff I might have said and Dave the Priest said "don't worry, out here we are all golfers".

I have gotten paired up with some guys that I had to drag and politely suggest they move along or finally just wave a group through, most are pretty good when faced with the facts. There is nothing worse than a group that is oblivious.
White Liberals=The Worst
Blahhead said:

This is awesome. Golf is supposed to be fun, no matter what your definition of "fun" really is. I've played with tokers and drunks who could school most on this board. I've played with people who blare the speakers with rap and still shoot -2. Golf is what you make of it.

For the most of us, we're not pros. We play golf for FUN. What is fun for each of us, might be subjective, but it should be fun. If an intense round is fun -- that's cool. If drinking and toking is fun -- that's cool, too.

As long as you have a DD or Uber, who cares?

I just remembered the gist of what he said on the first tee as we all introduced ourselves...something along the lines of "are any of you gay? Because I like to call myself "f***ot" when i hit poor shots but I can come up with something else if it offends any of you" or something like that. We all laughed and I told him I do the same thing. Had never experienced an ice breaker like that right off the bat in a random group.

I agree with you. I like to play tunes out there but I generally read my audience and make sure to ask if music's cool with them out of respect. Have played with a cool older man who said music really messed with him and that's fine with me, I don't need it.
White Liberals=The Worst
Tony Franklins Shoe said:

Quite a few years ago I was playing as a single in the afternoon, finally caught up to a threesome after about 5 holes, they waved me up and asked about playing through. I told them I didn't mind playing with them, I like the social aspect. It wasn't until we were walking off 17 that one of them said "hey Dave, tell him what you do for a living". Dave sort of deferred and didn't push it when one of them finally said "Dave's a priest". I immediately started doing inventory to see how long (actually how much longer) I was going to be in hell based on some of the stuff I might have said and Dave the Priest said "don't worry, out here we are all golfers".

I have gotten paired up with some guys that I had to drag and politely suggest they move along or finally just wave a group through, most are pretty good when faced with the facts. There is nothing worse than a group that is oblivious.
I enjoy this aspect of golf as well. And I have found that typically at the course I play, single walk-ons are well versed in proper pace and etiquette...even if they are loose cannons or like to party out there.
LHIOB
AG
A buddy and I were playing at Los Rios, which is a cheap goat farm in Plano. On the second tee box the guy we are paired with asks what we do. "Sales." So you arent cops? "Nope." He then pulls out a one hitter and took a huge rip. Nice guy, decent golfer.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I wish the frat house behavior would not show up on the golf course. I don't mind a few beers, but yelling, driving carts through mud, throwing clubs, tearing things up is disappointing.

I personally can't stand any music while playing, but I understand it is becoming popular.

My friend was on the first tee at Sun City in Georgetown and some dude rolls up to first tee to join up. Turns out that dude was Burton Gilliam and my friend said it was the most enjoyable round he has ever had.

My personal funny join up story happened at Memorial when I lived in Houston...I get paired up with these two black guys and I only mention they ar eblack because it adds to the animation of the story as it really happened, kind of like the Coming to America barbershop scene. Anyway, one of the guys pops his tee shot straight up, and I mean straight up, and lands in the creek right in front of the tee. The other guy immediately starting jawing him with a big long "oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh" and he's dancin' like he just won the lotto. I'm waiting to see what happens next.

They had Cobra brand drivers, and the only reason I know this is because the dude who was jawing the pop up guy looks at me and said "now, you see, he's got the Queen Snake. I've got the King Snake, right here and shows me his driver while pointing and laughing at the other dude". I don't know what it going on. "And do you know what the Queen Snake wears?" No, sure don't "A pair of PINK PANTIES lord have mercy"...laughter ensues from the one dude like crazy. He goes into his bag and pulls out a pair of pink panties and gives them to the pop up guy. Dancin guy says "You see, when the Queen Snake comes out, she gots to put on the panties!".

They had a running joke/bet that whomever doesn't make it past the ladies tees has to wear the panties on their head for the rest of the hole. I still tell that story all the time and the animation between these two dudes was priceless it is hard to describe.
Blahhead
I will ammend my post to include being a steward of the game. You can have fun without tearing stuff up, bothering others or slow play.
oldschool87
AG
Pace of play...

I don't care if you shoot 61 or a 101. If you keep pace of play up, I honest to God could care less! I would much rather play with a guy who shoots 101, hits his ball, finds his ball hits it again. If he can't find it drops one in the general area and moves on vs. Mr. Sunday at the Masters who spends 5 minutes lining up every single putt...
jgh85Ag
AG
I heard on the pga Sirius channel about a sign at a golf course on the 1st tee that read,

"If you play well, play fast. If you don't play well play faster."

That sign should be on every tee box.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Reminds me of the old George W Bush interview with Feherty. GWB said something to the effect of, "My grandfather looked at my swing and said, 'You're probably never going to be a good golfer, but if you play fast enough, good golfers will play with you.'"
agsalaska
AG
And after the last 3 posts I feel this is my bi annual spot to insert the 'I cannot stand golfers who play fast' post.

There is not a spot on a scorecard that asks how fast you played. Golf is not a race. I get that slow golfers are annoying and I do not like them either. If I am paired with them I try to keep them moving. But nothing is worse for me than people who think it is totally unacceptable for a player to line up a putt, or spend the allowed time looking for a ball, or go back and get a different club, etc. If you have a problem with 4 guys playing in about 4 hours just understand that you are the problem, not them.

We have a rule at my club, and it is the greatest rule in the history of golf, that between 8 and 3 foursomes have right of way and as long as they are on pace to play in 4:10 minutes the group behind them, whether it is a twosome, single, foursome, whatever, can basically suck it. Now understand that's not to say We wouldn't let a single thru if we had the hole course open or something in front of us. That's just being polite. But Generally the Womens group goes at 12, the old guys at 12:30 and we go at 1. If you go after us you will play in 4 hours.

I have told this story before on here but I had a guy in a tournament in DFW one time with some real money on the line that was absolutely beside himself that we were not keeping up with the group in front of us even though we were playing in a pace below 4 hours. He was putting out of turn, hitting tee shots before we were done with the previous hole, etc. I finally called him out and we had a pretty nice little conversation. Just ridiculous.

Anyway, there you go. Stop racing and stop expecting others to race. Thanks
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't have to race to play under 4. Just be reasonably decisive and efficient. But whatever floats your boat. Recreactional golf has been in decline for over a decade for a reason.
CTGilley
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Recreactional golf has been in decline for over a decade for a reason.
This was my thought from the beginning.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.