Does tiger play in this years Masters?

7,695 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Narrowing is an issue in the foramen which leads to the nerve root compression problems.
DannyDuberstein
AG
While there are no details on this one, his back surgery history so far is:

April 2014 - micro-discectomy
September 2015 - micro-discectomy
October 2015 - additional cleanup of the Sept micro-discectomy

Which all leads me to believe there's a good chance that is what this is again
gillom
AG
Roids
CapCityAg89
AG
Tweet said it was to fuse two lower vertebrae.

Roid post is crap.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There you go. Ran out of disc to ectomy. On to the next stage of fusion.
aggiederelict
He is officially done.
Goose
AG
Fusing vertebrae can't be good for a golf swing.
Baby Billy
AG
agsalaska said:

He has hinted b in the past that he understands how important that is. But it seems like his competitive juices make it where he just cannot help himself.

I loved watching him play but if it's over its over. Probably not see another like him.
I agree. I've been a huge tiger fan since I started playing and grew up watching him. I've got a huge fathead of him in my living room (In college, don't flame). It'll be sad if this is it.
Baby Billy
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This is way over my head. Somebody explain.
White Liberals=The Worst
Pretty sad that he's done, but he's doing above average financially and knows deep down that he's the greatest, most dominant golfer to ever live. That's better than most can say.
CapCity12thMan
AG
http://spineline.net/tiger-woods-a-peek-into-his-disc-dilemma/
DannyDuberstein
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

DannyDuberstein said:

This is way over my head. Somebody explain.

Basically, as you have a disc deteriorating, it tends to bulge and press on a nerve, causing pain. A micro-discectomy is done to remove the bulging portions of the disc and relieve the nerve from being pressed on, thus relieving the pain. That procedure is what Tiger had done 3 times across 2014 and 2015.

Eventually, the disc deteriorates to the point where a micro-discectomy is pointless. There's not much disc left and what is left is a mess That's where Tiger got to now. So they remove what remains of the disc and fuse the two vertebrae it used to separate together. So some flexibility is lost, but there is no longer a deteriorating disc causing pain.
birdman
Now he has a pair of vertebrae fused together. They are strong and won't cause problems.

However, the next vertebrae up the chain are now going to be a problem. These vertebrae are now the weak spot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. And they probably aren't in great condition already.
Just an Ag
AG
Quote:

Due to previous herniations and three surgeries, Woods' bottom lower-back disc severely narrowed, causing sciatica and severe back and leg pain. Conservative therapy, which included rehabilitation, medications, limiting activities and injections, failed as a permanent solution, and Woods opted to have surgery. The procedure was a minimally invasive Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS ALIF) at L5/S1. The surgery entailed removing the damaged disc and re-elevating the collapsed disc space to normal levels. This allows the one vertebrae to heal to the other. The goal is to relieve the pressure on the nerve and to give the nerve the best chance of healing.

The operation was performed by Dr. Richard Guyer of the Center for Disc Replacement at the Texas Back Institute.

I am not sure if the image is exactly what Tiger had, I just grabbed it from the 'net as an example of
fusion.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I had an L5/S1 fusion when I was a freshman at A&M in 1993. Things have changed since then regarding surgical methods and recovery times. The fusion kept me from being able to get a ROTC contract as I was unable to do sit ups effectively.

However, I would think Tiger can come back from this. There is stiffness most days but a dose of 800mg ibuprofen or a daily dose of Aleve can take the edge off. On the other hand, he may just decide to call it quits as it can make life difficult.

I was told 25 years ago that I would have to have another surgery to fuse the L4/L5 in about 10 years. Luckily, I have only had the one operation and no others. It is probably coming but so far, so good. I do have a broken screw which prevents MRIs and will likely complicate any diagnosis in the future I'm sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.