Does tiger play in this years Masters?

7,709 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dont think so, but curious to see what others say.
watty
AG
I'll be shocked. I'm not even convinced he'll play another major on the weekend. Certainly not in two weeks.
Mr.Bond
AG
Unfortunately/fortunately no
powerbelly
AG
I hope so. Really excited to see what body part starts to hurt when it looks like he will miss the cut.
Ag_07
AG
Probably. Will be way off the cut and WD but he'll play.

Icecream_Ag
S
watty said:

I'll be shocked. I'm not even convinced he'll play another major on the weekend. Certainly not in two weeks.
The Masters would be major he would be able to continue onto the weekend, the style suits him perfectly. Not gonna claim he'll pull a Watson and compete for a win at 60, but I'm sure he'll make some cuts over the next 5-10 years and stay just close enough that people will drudge up Jacks 8th and Watson's improbable run.
Icecream_Ag
S
powerbelly51 said:

I hope so. Really excited to see what body part starts to hurt when it looks like he will miss the cut.
I'd love for him to come out and say, "I pulled something when I was messing around with that IHOP waitress on Monday night. Missed another cut, but still gettin more than your poor butts."
ORAggieFan
Withdraws from the Par 3 limping off as he is losing big to someone over 70.
_lefraud_
AG
Tiger's had ONE WD in a major, back in 1995 when he was an amateur
07fta07
AG
I'm going with no. But if he does, it's a guarantee WD because Tiger doesn't miss cuts, he "gets hurt" before that. And there's no way he's making that cut.
Codeno
AG
I'm a Tiger fan and I say there's no chance he plays. He was on Good Morning America today and he gave a very vague answer about wanting to play, that his mind is ready but it's about his body being ready. That tells me he's going to say he's out within the next 10 days because his body isn't ready.

Personally I think he's lost his edge mentally. I think that's just as big of a factor as his physical issues. I don't think he has the fight like he used to, even though he won't admit it. He has too many other things to deal with, mainly kids and his course design business.
STL_aTm
AG
As much of a fanboy as I am...
aggiepaintrain
AG
no chance
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I think his back is ****ed, professionally he is done until he changes his swing and tries to just it 280 down the center and hit hybrids and knockdowns into greens.
He just can't swing violently anymore and until he accepts that he is done.
GIF Reactor
AG
I don't see how he could get around Augusta for four days. Not sure if he is completely finished, but it looks close to that.
Matsui
AG
He looks tired. That GMA interview made him look old.
agsalaska
AG
What I don't get is why is he so big. If my back was in his condition the last thing I would think to do is lift. At least not to get to the size he is at. Maybe I am wrong but I would think that would put a lot of strain on him.
bagger05
AG
I just don't think his body is ever going to be right again. Sometimes people just don't recover.

How crazy is it to think that he won 5 PGA events in 2013? Seems more like ten years ago than four...

Gigem314
AG
agsalaska said:

What I don't get is why is he so big. If my back was in his condition the last thing I would think to do is lift. At least not to get to the size he is at. Maybe I am wrong but I would think that would put a lot of strain on him.
I've read up on him a bit, and apparently he's really into military-style training and work outs. He's actually traveled to bases to train with some of them over the years. There was a great article about him from either ESPN or SI here not long ago that went into his past (and of course the scandals). It really touched on his upbringing and the relationship with his father. Pretty interesting stuff. I think I understand more about why he is the way he is.
bagger05
AG
Like many people with EXTREME talent, I think he's just an odd dude. Obviously has some demons.
I Am A Critic
Gigem314 said:

agsalaska said:

I've read up on him a bit, and apparently he's really into military-style training and work outs. He's actually traveled to bases to train with some of them over the years. There was a great article about him from either ESPN or SI here not long ago that went into his past (and of course the scandals). It really touched on his upbringing and the relationship with his father. Pretty interesting stuff. I think I understand more about why he is the way he is.
The military stuff is old news. He's lost his edge. His game and mind are not intimidating anymore. The only thing he has left is to look physically intimidating. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that all the muscling up is doing more harm than good.
watty
AG
Begay claimed that Tiger isn't bulking up anymore and that his workouts have totally changed to promote flexibility and all that stuff again. I don't think bulk is his issue. I think his 90 year old back is, along with completely shattered (probably beyond repair, sadly) confidence. I agree with those that have said that his mind is just as gone as his back. Both are what he built his greatness on and both were basically used up. The back is gone, and the mental toughness is too.
tandy miller
AG
Guess the real question now is when does he withdraw?
bagger05
AG
He can show up and register pretty much whenever.

I don't think he plays, but I'd be shocked by a WD. I don't think he'll start unless he's confident he can finish.
tandy miller
AG
Gotcha. Wasn't sure how the masters worked
bagger05
AG
Yeah, just read this in an article this morning.
Quote:

As a past champion of the Masters, Woods is invited to participate for life. There is no commitment deadline as there would be on the PGA Tour, so he could simply show up, register and play.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Exactly
Masters has a set criteria for invites and whoever shows up and plays is it. No alternates and other invites if someone withdraws
BAS for life
I just think Tiger practiced so much back in the day that his body just quit on him. He used to pride himself in outworking others, which included more and longer range sessions. I think the golf swing can really take a toll on the back, more than anyone acknowledges when in comes to Tiger.

He just can't spent days at the range to get it back anymore to build his confidence back. and he doesn't know any other way. I am a HUGE tiger fan, but I am finally ready to say he is done. I don't think he will ever win again on tour. I did not think that until this last comeback attempt.
fireinthehole
Tiger's biggest problem is mental. Mental effects physical. He looks very unhappy when he does play. Frowning mostly. He's lost all confidence and mental strength, which were his greatest assets. He desperately needs the one true God and a good woman in his life, forget golf
bagger05
AG
fireinthehole said:

Tiger's biggest problem is mental. Mental effects physical. He looks very unhappy when he does play. Frowning mostly. He's lost all confidence and mental strength, which were his greatest assets. He desperately needs the one true God and a good woman in his life, forget golf
That's not anything new... he's never looked like someone who was having a blast out there.
fireinthehole
I've watched Tiger very much and closely over the years bagger, and that's not my recollection
oldflyer
AG
watty said:

Begay claimed that Tiger isn't bulking up anymore and that his workouts have totally changed to promote flexibility and all that stuff again. I don't think bulk is his issue. I think his 90 year old back is, along with completely shattered (probably beyond repair, sadly) confidence. I agree with those that have said that his mind is just as gone as his back. Both are what he built his greatness on and both were basically used up. The back is gone, and the mental toughness is too.
Agree. Flexibility will help, but it won't fix a bad back.
AggieC07
AG
Maybe he'll show up to announce his retirement.
bagger05
AG
fireinthehole said:

I've watched Tiger very much and closely over the years bagger, and that's not my recollection
I wasn't a close observer of Tiger early in his career, and from the clips I see he was definitely much more animated back in the day (the fist pumps, walking after the putt at Valhalla, etc). So I see what you mean. Incorrect to say he's NEVER looked like that.

But by the time I started watching him around the mid-late 2000s, I always remember seeing him very, very INTENSE. Like it was all business all the time.
fireinthehole
Mid 2000's is when he started hurting pretty bad. He was able to force thru it until 2008
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.