When do you switch from GI irons to better player irons?

2 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 93MarineHorn
93MarineHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know there is no definite answer to this and everybody is different. I'm playing the best golf of my life lately (HC 6) and was considering getting new irons. I currently play AP1's from 2010. I like them because they are long and forgiving. I do not "work" my irons, normally. I just try to hit them straight, and for that reason I was thinking I'd stick with GI irons.

I was just curious what some of you better players thought about this. Am I holding myself back with GI irons? When did you lower HC guys make the switch and how did it work out for you? Should I just leave well enough alone and not try to fix what isn't broken? Any feedback is appreciated.
khaos288
AG
There was some PGA guy who just switched to SGI irons.

Play whatever irons you play best with
jj9000
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Should I just leave well enough alone and not try to fix what isn't broken?

Short answer = Yes

Edit to add...Or you could be like someone I know...and change irons depending on what direction the wind is blowing.

Meanwhile...never improving substantially because you like to open nice...new...shiny things.

It's not broken...so...leave it alone.

Now...can you please give me the same advice I just typed?
Icecream_Ag
S
jj9000 said:

93MarineHorn said:

Short answer = Yes

Edit to add...Or you could be like someone I know...and change irons depending on what direction the wind is blowing.

Meanwhile...never improving substantially because you like to open nice...new...shiny things.

but if you werent a niffler how would we get gently used/like new clubs for a discount????
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

93MarineHorn said:

Short answer = Yes

Fight the urge J! Handicap is already down several strokes this year with a PB by 8 strokes...all about playing the same clubs and getting rid of that excuse for my problems.
Yesterday
AG
I wouldn't say they're holding you back but I bet you would really like the feel and sound of a players iron. That's the beauty of not making a living at this game, you can do crazy stuff like buy a set of players irons when you don't need them and switch back if you don't like them. Go for it.
Just an Ag
AG
I tried to upgrade to a nice set of Mizuno MP 32 irons. If I was swinging good I could play good with the Mizunos (shocking!), but after a while I realized they were of no benefit to my game one way or the other. I finally traded them in on a set of Ping G25's with the thought of, "if they make irons that are supposed to easy to hit, then why the heck wouldn't I want some of those???" I really like my G25's and i know if I hit a bad shot, it was me and not the club.
93MarineHorn
Thanks, Ags! In a few weeks I'm going to Club Champion for a fitting and I'll give "better player irons" a chance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.