Time for new irons

4,310 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SLF11
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To expand a little more. The JPX 900 were heads and tails better than anything else I hit. Smoother, hotter, and more forgiving. Surprisingly the JPX 900 Tour had as thin or a thinner topline as anything else I hit, even smaller than the MP25. This is not your father's JPX iron.

I did really like then AP2 and TM P770, but they were not as forgiving and the ball wasn't jumping the same. The Apex were nice although a bit clunky and the Apex Pro and Titleist CB were my two least favorite.

The PX LZ 6.0 felt much smoother and was more consistent in launch than the DG X100 SS and the KBS CTaper X.

If you're in the market for irons, the JPX 900 or 900 Tour has to be worth a look.
DBill
AG
Enjoy the new mizuno irons, all 3 models of the JPX line out are very good and it depends what you want out of your iron. I settled on the 900 forged model for slightly better forgiveness and I am a little scared to play "blade" or tour inspired irons. I'm a 9 HC amd just need the little extra confidence.

I did hit the 900 tours and I must say, they are probably the nicest looking tour type iron out in my opinion.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mizzy mp4's here
Dead sexy and buttery smooth
98Ag99Grad
AG
Congrats on the new sticks. Can't go wrong with Mizzy's. Alot of guys on tour who used to be Nike are playing the JPX 900 tours this year.
White Liberals=The Worst
Got Mizuno MP-64's about 2 yrs ago brand new for $600 and love them. Not sure what irons (if any) replaced them? The feel and look is awesome and my game improved significantly after switching to them after playing thick soled clunky Ping G-10's for years.
White Liberals=The Worst
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Mizzy mp4's here
I'd be one of "those guys" with club head covers if I ever got a set of those. Best looking irons ever made imo.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Mizzy mp4's here
I'd be one of "those guys" with club head covers if I ever got a set of those. Best looking irons ever made imo.

damn those look good.
RigsTx
AG
I went and got fitted for irons today for the first time in my playing career.

I've been playing Wilson Di7s that I've had for 10 years.

I've fluctuated between a 2 to 7 handicap the last few years.

Fitter said that the reason I struggled with consistency was that the mid and butt points of the shaft were so weak that I would over flex the irons.

Hit AP2s, Callaway Apex, Apex Tour, a Mizuno and Srixon 765s.

Ended up with the Srixon 765 with a Modus 105 stiff shaft.

It came down to the Apex Tour and Srixons. Both were going consistently 170-175. Good strikes with AP2 only went 155 or so. Club speed was around 85-88 with the 7irons.

Srixons won the day because the ball flight was a bit more consistent. And now I too also play the waiting game.
White Liberals=The Worst
RigsTx said:

Fitter said that the reason I struggled with consistency was that the mid and butt points of the shaft were so weak that I would over flex the irons.

It came down to the Apex Tour and Srixons. Both were going consistently 170-175. Good strikes with AP2 only went 155 or so. Club speed was around 85-88 with the 7irons.

Srixons won the day because the ball flight was a bit more consistent. And now I too also play the waiting game.
Have heard great things about those irons and am really digging the style. It's like if Mizuno had an almost-as-sexy but slightly more sl00ty cousin.

07fta07
AG
07fta07 said:

Ok. Ended up with Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons 4-PW and Mizuno T7 wedges in 50, 54, 58 (blue satin). All paired with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts.

Ball speed was 3-4 mph faster than anything else I hit. The AP2 was a close second in feel, but nowhere near the ball speed. Now I wait...

Picked up the irons and wedges last week and have played them several times. They're great. I've gained somewhere around 5-7 yards and these things are buttery smooth. Really liking the new LZ shaft by Project X. My ball flight is still high, but seems much more penetrating, which is exactly what I was looking for. I haven't seen the ballooning that I saw with the KBS tours.

The new T7 wedges are money. I didn't realize how worn out my T4's were, but I'm spinning the hell of of the ball now and I could barely get my T4's to stop.
agracer
AG
RigsTx said:

Calloway Apex Loft 33
Srixon 765 Loft 32
AP2 Loft 34

DBill
AG
agracer said:

RigsTx said:

Calloway Apex Loft 33
Srixon 765 Loft 32
AP2 Loft 34

1 to 2 degrees difference in an iron does not equal 15-20 yards. I don't feel like that argument is valid. On the other hand, overall length of club, shaft and shaft flex could make up a more marginal difference.
07fta07
AG
I found the AP2s to be lacking distance also. I felt like I was hitting them so pure, but they weren't going anywhere. They were 5-10 yards shorter than the other irons I hit.
powerbelly
AG
07fta07 said:

I found the AP2s to be lacking distance also. I felt like I was hitting them so pure, but they weren't going anywhere. They were 5-10 yards shorter than the other irons I hit.
Were all other specs (shaft, length, etc) equal?
Yesterday
AG
07fta07 said:

Got to go with what you feel comfortable with!
BigHitterDaLama
jj9000 said:

dodger02 said:

But for less than half of that, I can buy mint condition 716 APs or TMBs.

Are PXGs - even at $1,800 - provide enough performance improvement to justify the 100% cost premium?
You can make this argument with almost all golf clubs.

For less than half of those AP2 716s, you can buy AP2 714s.

For less than half of those AP2 714s, you can buy PING i5s.

For less than half of those PING i5s, you can buy Titleist 690 CBs.

Probably shoot similar scores will all of these sets.

It's a matter of personal preference...and budget.
The Oracle Has Spoken......
Mr.Bond
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

jj9000 said:

dodger02 said:

But for less than half of that, I can buy mint condition 716 APs or TMBs.

Are PXGs - even at $1,800 - provide enough performance improvement to justify the 100% cost premium?
You can make this argument with almost all golf clubs.

For less than half of those AP2 716s, you can buy AP2 714s.

For less than half of those AP2 714s, you can buy PING i5s.

For less than half of those PING i5s, you can buy Titleist 690 CBs.

Probably shoot similar scores will all of these sets.

It's a matter of personal preference...and budget.
The Oracle Has Spoken......

He would know. He's owned every one of those
07fta07
AG
Yea everything else was exactly the same.
jj9000
AG
Guilty.
SLF11
AG
07fta,

i, too, just recently picked up the JPX 900 forged after considering other irons AND being a Mizuno homer before (MP-32, cut muscle).

Short story is very similar to yours - thought i wanted the new Ping I's and ended up hitting JPX's unbelievably. Threw the Modus 125X in there and they are rocket ships that don't balloon. I am at least 1 club longer and closer to 1.5 longer with these compared to the blades.

And i'll say it here, been floating from scratch to a 3.5 handicap the last couple of years and just cant hit blades anymore. I had to get something more forgiving, so dont have too much pride when purchasing the OS irons next time you are shopping.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.