Time for new irons

4,309 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SLF11
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting fitted for new irons tomorrow and likely looking at the following. Anyone playing one of these that can comment on what you do/don't like?

Titlest AP2 or CB (possibly a CB/MB combo)
Callaway Apex Pro
Mizuno MP25 or MP5
TaylorMade P770 or 750

For reference, hover around 4-5 hcp and currently playing Adams CB1 with KBS Tour shafts. Love the irons but they're worn out and it's time for a change. Will also be looking to switch shafts as I need to bring ball flight down a bit and my limited research suggests I may be looking at the DG or KBS CTaper.
DBill
AG
Look at the Mizuno JPX 900 forged model as well. Just picked them up and am coming from a set of cobra fly z plus irons and the 900 forged are absolutely incredible. Have them paired with KBS C tapers
98Ag99Grad
AG
Played the MP25 for about 2 mos when they first came out and didn't like them. Found a new set of MP-53 on ebay and switched to them. They look great but didn't feel good to me at all.
agsalaska
AG
I bought AP2 714s about a year ago after years of playing blades(Hogan Apex and Wilson Staff FG62). I nail them. First set of non blades I have ever hit that have the distance control of traditional blades. When I wear them out I will get a new set.
Icecream_Ag
S
DBill said:

Look at the Mizuno JPX 900 forged model as well. Just picked them up and am coming from a set of cobra fly z plus irons and the 900 forged are absolutely incredible. Have them paired with KBS C tapers
they also have a tour version available which might be a little closer to the MP's.

Took me a while to figure out the difference when I saw them at the golf store, but the tour doesnt have a pronounced cavity back.
Poot
I'm an AP 2 guy. They have a great look, pretty forgiving and VERY consistent.
dodger02
AG
I'm another AP2 player. I have a set of 712 AP2s with KBS Tour shafts. I bought them used but in almost brand new condition in 2015. I love them but have flirted with changing the shafts. I might switch to some DG X100s in the next couple of weeks and see how that goes.
07fta07
AG
Thanks for the replies. The one thing that I dislike about the AP's (and probably the JPX) is the top line is a bit thick for me. I'm going in with an open mind, but the thin topline really fits my eye better. I'll post again after the fitting with what I end up ordering.
booradley
AG
you need to hit the PXG before you buy anything...
CTGilley
AG
I love my MP 25s rifled shafts .75 long 2* up.
khaos288
AG
I wouldn't trade my mp-25s for anything right now. I do have mp-h4 3 and 4 irons though.
Yesterday
AG
07fta07 said:

Thanks for the replies. The one thing that I dislike about the AP's (and probably the JPX) is the top line is a bit thick for me. I'm going in with an open mind, but the thin topline really fits my eye better. I'll post again after the fitting with what I end up ordering.
The new 716's have a thinner top line. On par with most CB's. I thought about getting some MB's or CB's in my pw-8 iron but the new 716's are awesome.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I play the mp4's so basically the same thing as the mp-5's
Awesome clubs great feel and good distance control. Surprisingly they are quite forgiving I have found. I would say comparable to a players cavity back .
07fta07
AG
Yea I'm not paying $3-4K for irons.
Icecream_Ag
S
07fta07 said:

isnt this TexAgs where everyone is a 4 HC with a job that pays $500K a year?

$3-4K for irons is just a drop in the bucket.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Another vote for AP2's
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

Another vote for AP2's

Awesome texags handle
powerbelly
AG
booradley said:

you need to hit the PXG before you buy anything...
I have hit the PXGs here is not $3k of difference between the PXG and other top end irons.
07fta07
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

07fta07 said:

isnt this TexAgs where everyone is a 4 HC with a job that pays $500K a year?

$3-4K for irons is just a drop in the bucket.

I'll be the admitted poor here with a less than $500k per month paycheck.
leachfan
Srixon Combo set of 765/565. Let me know how you like them. Also +1 for the C-taper to keep flight down.
Txroper
AG
Another vote for the AP 716. Love them. I have a buddy that has the Calloway Apex pros and they feel really good. If I were to switch I would seriously consider them.
fcag11
6-PW AP2, 3-5 Titleist TMB here. Go swing the TMB's, thank me later!
cheeky
AG
Hit many of the new pro lines a few weeks ago, including the pxg. Went with the Titleist 716s with project x shafts. Beautiful forged CBs with tungsten. Very pleased with the setup overall
daveb414
AG
07fta07 said:

I hit both the jpx900 and mp25 irons recently. While the jpx has a larger cavity back, the top line of the jpx actually looks as slim or slimmer than the mp25 irons.
07fta07
AG
Hmm that's interesting. Like I said, I'm going in with an open mind. I have no ties to any particular brand, so I'll get what looks, feels, and performs best. Pretty excited for the fitting today as this will be the first time I've been fit for irons. I did my driver, 3 wood, hybrid fitting last year and it made a world of difference.
jj9000
AG
07fta07 said:

Hmm that's interesting. Like I said, I'm going in with an open mind. I have no ties to any particular brand, so I'll get what looks, feels, and performs best. Pretty excited for the fitting today as this will be the first time I've been fit for irons. I did my driver, 3 wood, hybrid fitting last year and it made a world of difference.
If you need Titleist AP2 714s for a fraction of the new price..Let's just say...I know a guy.
booradley
AG
I paid $2200 for my PXG's brand new. You can easily get a used set for 1800.

But whatever.
dodger02
AG
But for less than half of that, I can buy mint condition 716 APs or TMBs.

Are PXGs - even at $1,800 - provide enough performance improvement to justify the 100% cost premium?
jj9000
AG
dodger02 said:

But for less than half of that, I can buy mint condition 716 APs or TMBs.

Are PXGs - even at $1,800 - provide enough performance improvement to justify the 100% cost premium?
You can make this argument with almost all golf clubs.

For less than half of those AP2 716s, you can buy AP2 714s.

For less than half of those AP2 714s, you can buy PING i5s.

For less than half of those PING i5s, you can buy Titleist 690 CBs.

Probably shoot similar scores will all of these sets.

It's a matter of personal preference...and budget.
dodger02
AG
Yes, which is why I role with my 712 AP2s.

But, I totally understand the personal preference issue and the awful sensation money makes when it burns a hole in your pocket.

That's why I bought a black R1 head from you three weeks after buying a white one. It's also why I have an Odyssey #7 and GoLo in my office...with a 1966 Anser TR en route from some guy in Camillus, NY.
jj9000
07fta07
AG
booradley said:

I paid $2200 for my PXG's brand new. You can easily get a used set for 1800.

But whatever.

Ok, maybe not $3-4K, but I can get a new set of normal irons for $1k less than PXG.
REMARCH11
AG
I'm playing the Apex Pro and got to admit that I love them. I played Miura's for the last 8 years and Marumen prior to that, (Japanese irons are way better). These are probably the easiest irons I have ever hit, and they are long! Highly recommend them.
oldflyer
AG
07fta07 said:

I'd like to hear what you've settled on. I've played Hogan irons since I was in Jr. High in the 1970s. My most recent is a set 1999 Apexes. With the company going through so many iterations and now looking like they are going out of business again, it's probably time to switch brands.
07fta07
AG
Ok. Ended up with Mizuno JPX 900 Tour irons 4-PW and Mizuno T7 wedges in 50, 54, 58 (blue satin). All paired with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts.

Ball speed was 3-4 mph faster than anything else I hit. The AP2 was a close second in feel, but nowhere near the ball speed. Now I wait...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.