What's An Average Drive for a High Handicapper?

1,557 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I play maybe once a month nowadays but plan on playing at least weekly ( like when I was younger) in a few years when I retire. I'm 59 years old now. When I'm driving it well I hit 225 - 235 yards. Is that about right? I get discouraged when I see and hear about people driving it so much farther nowadays. And I know the short game is just as important,,,. I'm just wanting to see if I am shortchanging myself too much off the tee.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG

I know high handicappers who hit it a country mile and I know lower digit handicappers who put it out 235 at best with a driver.
235 at 59 years old is pretty good

Don't get all caught up in just straight distance, focus on hitting it the right distance. For example, I hit 3wood 255 and 210 into par 5's. I hit 3 iron 239 into a par 5 and 197 into a par 3. Learning on how to control distance is the key to scoring.
jj9000
AG
Don't get discouraged.

235 at 59 is pretty good.

Every once in a while I play alongside a gentleman who pokes it out there about 215...220 max. He has a hard time seeing the ball off the tee and down the fairway. Here's the kicker...he's dead square in the fairway almost every time. I joke with him and tell him just to save his time and energy and just drop the damn ball down in the fairway on each hole. Much easier...same result.

The key is that he knows his game...and he plays the appropriate tees. I may be longer than him off the tee...but there will be a few times each round where I'm digging around in the trees....and he'll be center cut.

The Scorecard doesn't give a damn about ego and length. Only thing that counts are scores. Regardless of tees.

Good luck to you!!

Yesterday
AG
You can play some pretty good golf with a 235 yard drive down the middle. I would trade that drive for several of mind per round and i'm a 7 right now.
BigHitterDaLama
235 down the middle is all you need if you are playing the right set of tees.
The Lost
Consistency is the biggest thing for high handicappers (like me) on occasion I can put it at 250, usually 220-220, but enough slices or waywards that go 180-200 are what get me over 90
Turf-Ag02
AG
I found when I was a high the key to lowering my handicap was hitting the fairway off the tee. I played for bogey on every hole and felt good about par opportunities. After a while you find yourself with a lot more par opportunities than before. After I taught myself to not always want to be the longest off of the tee but the most accurate, my scores went down quicker than I expected just because I wasn't punching out our dropping because of hazard strokes. The Fairways and greens mentality leads to lower scores and more fun.
dodger02
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

235 down the middle is all you need if you are playing the right set of tees.

This. Play the right tees and there's no problem.

I played yesterday and couldn't find a fairway to save my life on the front side. Back 9 was better but still sucked. 240 in the fairway is better than 280 in the trees.
aggiedent
AG
I'm a 16. I'm lucky if I play 3-4 times a month. 54 years old. I still work out, stretch regular, and even go to yoga with my wife. I can still hit the ball 290 consistently if I swing well. Then again, I can make a terrible swing and hit a 220 duck hook.

Depends on so many things.
dodger02
AG
Today, I saw some guys in their 60s playing from the tips and driving it about 220, max. That can't be fun having second shots into par 4s all day of 180+.

More than half of their par 4s were playing as par 4.5s at a minimum. There's no way that is enjoyable.
DannyDuberstein
AG
dodger02 said:

Today, I saw some guys in their 60s playing from the tips and driving it about 220, max. That can't be fun having second shots into par 4s all day of 180+.

More than half of their par 4s were playing as par 4.5s at a minimum. There's no way that is enjoyable.

I do not get this. Never have. Never will.
Icecream_Ag
S
My HS friends are bombers and play the tips, I'll poke my drive out about 30 yards behind them and wonder what the hell I'm doing, but I keep up with scoring so it's not that big of a deal.
93MarineHorn
235 is fine. Are you using a newer driver that was fitted with the proper shaft for your swing? If not, you should probably get one and you'll likely gain another 10 - 20 yards.
DadAG10
dodger02 said:

That can't be fun having second shots into par 4s all day of 180+.

But that's only a 7i.
Icecream_Ag
S
DadAG10 said:

dodger02 said:

That can't be fun having second shots into par 4s all day of 180+.

But that's only a 7i.
well DadAG10 is a short hitter. Everyone knows if you dont hit your 7 iron 200+ you shouldn't be on the course.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lowest round I've ever scored was an 81 last year when I decided to keep the driver in the bag and hit hybrid and 3 wood off the tee. I was usually around 240, but middle of the fairway, leaving mid iron to wedge to the green.
Of course, I now break out the driver no matter what and haven't really been close to that low score since a couple a round tend to be pull hooks that make me lose a few strokes on those holes.
I may try it again next round.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.