Driver re-shafting question

1,069 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mpezll
AgEngr16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently bought a new head to put into my driver shaft and had D&J in Bryan put them together. After about 22 hours after being epoxyed I went to hit my first drive with it. Swung and the head flew off...

My question is, is it easy enough to reinstall the shaft myself with shafting epoxy bought online or should I take it to golf smith or Edwin watts? If it is easy enough, what epoxy would you recommend?
jj9000
AG
Why don't you take it back to the place that did it from the jump?

If that's not an option, just take it to GS or EW...should be no more than $10-$15.

Too much of a hassle to jack with buying epoxy...prepping the shaft...and prepping the head just for (1) install.

AgEngr16
AG
I was informed from a few people that this isn't the first time this has happened from a club being fixed at their shop, so I decided not to try again with them.

Thanks for the info.
07fta07
AG
I'd caution against GS. Had mine done there and had issues. When I had someone who knew what they were doing pull the shaft to re-prep, he made a comment that whoever did the last job obviously didn't know what they were doing. I told him it was at GS and he said don't ever go to GS for work more involved than regripping. Apparently that wasn't the first time he'd seen bad work from them.
AgEngr16
AG
I've had good experience with Edwin Watts so I will most likely go there. I will be in the San Antonio area so if anyone recommends a local shop, I would be open to that as well.
REMARCH11
AG
There is absolutely no reason the head should come off! That is terrible craftsmanship, my 12 year old could do a bettwr job.
Now to answer your question, it is very easy to i stall a new shaft, if you have a heat gun, tou can do it for about 7.00$. Sand off the old epoxy, add new epoxy, let sit for 12 hours. There are a tonof you ribe videos! You can do it,no sweat!
07fta07
AG
From what I understand, it's not that easy with a graphite shaft.
AgEngr16
AG
I have read this as well. I don't want to take the chance of damaging my shaft.
REMARCH11
AG
If you are doing it by hand, don't worry about damaging the shaft, it would take a lot to do that and you would tire out before you could do any serious damage. All you are trying to do is to knock off all the big pieces and if the head came off that means there is minimal epoxy in the 1st place.
AgEngr16
AG
If I do it at home, what epoxy would any of y'all recommend?
mpezll
AG
I would just take it back and have them redo it. You did pay them for the install right? My opinion, not worth the hassle / materials as JJ mentioned and if they did it incorrectly you should give them a chance to redo it.

Dumb question, but it was hot last week...did you leave it in the trunk or garage after picking it up? It always cracked me up when people came into the store I worked at during the summer and said they had left it there after picking up the club went out to the course and bam. Or there was a clear ball mark right on the hosel. Not directed at the OP, but there are a ton of reasons for why it might have come off.

And not to defend the big box stores (didn't work at GS/EW), but like any place, there were some people who cared and some who didn't. Also, some people had no business being in club tech. Obviously no way to know this unless you are a regular.

Anyway, I would run it back over, if possible, and have them redo it. Maybe even have someone else in the shop do it (never been to the place you mentioned).

Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.