Terrible Mental Game....sigh

1,370 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yesterday
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played my first solo stroke play event in 12 years, and had the exact issue that I had 12 years ago...

Practice and prepare really hard, get to where I shoot high 70s low 80s on a regular basis.

Tournament day comes and I play like absolute dog *****....push triple digits.

Frustrating
Mr.Bond
AG
Nothing prepares you for a individual stroke play. Advice is to play in as many as possible to minimize the jitters. Or play serious rounds with some friends with money etc on the line
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sorry to hear that. Can definitely sympathize. There are two things that help me relax for competitive rounds:
1) basically Bond's good advice - exposure therapy. Play more of them.
2) some may disagree with this one, but it's worked for me -> Realize and embrace the fact no one in the event cares how I play or where I finish. We build these things up in our mind and get so focused on trying to impress that we forget it's supposed to be fun.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I remember my first true tournament hole. I've never shook that much for a 4-ft bogie in my life.
mpezll
AG
Great advice so far. One thing that helps me is that the only shot that matters is the next one.
Take 1 shot at a time and take your medicine if you have to.
If that doesn't work, I put my change in my left pocket and tie my left shoe in a double knot.
93MarineHorn
I had the same problem several years ago when I first started playing competitive golf. After several rounds I finally overcame it and started playing well. I've actually gotten to a point where I play better during match play than I do a casual round. I'm more focused.
tandy miller
AG
Texags tourney will be my first "competitive" tournament. I feel like it won't go well. But, I guess you have to start somewhere. I've been trying to get paired with strangers whenever I play alone to try and acclimate myself to having to play in front of people I do not know
Yesterday
AG
Play ball down every time you play. Putt out everything and remember you only play your best one every 10-15 rounds so don't expect your best.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.