Mount Rushmore of Golf

3,040 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jgh85Ag
BigHitterDaLama
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who would be on yours and why?

Nicklaus - GOAT
Tiger - Most dominant golfer to ever play, IMO. Made golf global, ushered in the big purses and draws, and transcended from just golfer to true athlete. Took endorsements to a new level and drove highest levels of golf viewership and awareness. Big reason we have the Rory's, Day's and Spieth's on current tour.
Palmer - First player who really appealed to the masses, IMO. ushered in modern golf as we know it. Philanthropy work second to none.
Jones - really struggled with not having Hogan (at the expense of Jones) but gave the nod to Bobby. Was the first true great american golfer IMO (seem to have more following than Hagen). Instrumental in club advancement. Co-Founder of the Masters, the Greatest Sporting Event on the planet.

What say you?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Only position up for debate is the 4th.

Everyone should have Tiger/Nicklaus/Palmer in the 1st three spots.
ElCheAg
AG
The Hawk is definitely in my Mount Rushmore. But mostly for selfish reasons.
KC_Ag14
AG
Really hard to argue those 4, that's who I would put in mine.

For arguments sake, you could definitely make a case for Sam Snead. From a pure numbers perspective, the guy has the most PGA tournament victories (82). PGATour.com credits him 140 total career victories across all tours. He won 7 majors (3 green jackets), and was a U.S. Open shy of a career grand slam finishing runner up 4 times. Pretty sure he's also the oldest to ever win a PGA tournament, not sure on the age.

Needless to say... he's my #5.
Ag_07
AG
That's probably my four as well.

However, if you wanted to include an international player in there you could make a case for Seve. He had 50 Euro Tour wins, 3 Open Championship wins, and 2 Masters wins.

Mr.Bond
AG
Jack
Tiger
Arnold
Gary

Although Bobby Jones is going to get no argument from me
Bud Fox
I guess it depends on the criteria, but as for winning big tournaments I think it's
Jack, tiger, jones, and then hogan before Annie.

Arnie might get nod over the hawk only if you add good guy and golf ambassadorship.
tandy miller
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Jack
Tiger
Arnold
Gary

Although Bobby Jones is going to get no argument from me
Gary Player? I would have him as #4 as well
BigHitterDaLama
I really wasnt keeping my 4 inclusive to AMericans. I just didn't think any others stacked up as well. But you could argue:

Harry Vardon
Byron Nelson
Sam Snead
Player
Seve
birdman
Nicklaus
Woods
Hogan
Hagen
White Liberals=The Worst
Boo Weekley
John Daly

That's it. Sorry for partyin.
jgh85Ag
AG
Vardon? Get a grip!

I would put Hogan over Arnold as well.

jonj101
Since we're doing this mostly for arguments sake, how is it that no one is proposing Byron Nelson.

Chances are his tournament record for consecutive wins will never be broken. People often point out that his career benefited due to the war years, but they forget that Hogan didn't really start becoming the dominant force in golf until Nelson started moving away from the game.

Harry Stone
AG
Jack, Tiger, Bobby, Ben
ORAggieFan
Arnie, Jack, Couples, Lefty
AggieIce
AG
Tiger

Hogan

Arnie

Jack

Yesterday
AG
Bobby Jones- Godfather of the Masters
Arnold Palmer- Made golf popular
Jack Nicklaus- The Greatest
Tiger Woods- second greatest

Alternate in case one of the four goes the way of Joe Paterno.

Kevin Na-
12thMan2012
AG
Jones
Hogan
Jack
Tiger

Love Arnie, he did a lot for the game. But he isn't Hogan.
CapCityAg89
AG
My four go to the men who changed the face of golf at different eras:

Old Tom Morris - most modern green keeping concepts
Ben Hogan - GOAT to me
Arnie - populist changed demographic to lower incomes
Tiger - dominant and changed face to increased

Jack is the majors leader but that's really "it" (yes I know that means a ton) but it's like having Teddy on the actual Rushmore - he changed national parks so he gets the nod. I just don't think Jack impacted the game enough.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I do actually lean towards taking Jack out of the "Rushmore" and changing mine to:

Arnold
Tiger
Jones
Hogan
t - cam
AG
Tiger, Arnie, Jones, Jack

Favorite:
Arnie, Phil, Seve, Hagen
HouAggie
AG
I'm surprised to see Seve mentioned.

Think I'd have Tiger, Jack, Arnie, and probably Snead. Hogan and Jones being a very close 5 & 6.
jackie childs
if you're looking at it from the individual's impact on the competitive landscape of golf, think you could make a pretty good case for Tiger's ex-wife
aggiedad55
AG
Francis Ouimet
Jack Nicklaus
Arnold Palmer
Byron Nelson
98Ag99Grad
AG
Tiger
Jack
Player
Hogan

Only 5 guys have won the career grand slam and these are 4 of them. Hogan's teaching on the swing are the basis for modern golf and he's a badass. Player won over 150 tournaments around the world and can still shoot in the 60's.
93MarineHorn

Quote:

I just don't think Jack impacted the game enough.
GTFO! Not only the GOAT but still has a huge presence DECADES after retiring from professional golf. He has designed countless golf courses all over the world as well as very successfully promoted charities. There is no bigger name in golf, and I mean the history of golf. His major wins alone should put him at the top.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

if you're looking at it from the individual's impact on the competitive landscape of golf, think you could make a pretty good case for Tiger's ex-wife
POTD! You win!
Just an Ag
AG
Tiger & Jack. No question about those two.

Best of the rest, it just depends on what traits you want to emphasize.
  • Jones
  • Player
  • Snead
  • Palmer
  • Hogan
  • Nelson

and, dare I say, i think history will be kind to Mr. Mickelson.
jonj101
Good post. Maybe a few others on the honorable mention list:

• Trevino
  • Billy Casper (51 wins despite the 'Big Three')
  • Jimmy Demaret (Augusta has tributes to Hogan and Nelson, but none to him - first guy to 3 green jackets plus 31 wins)
  • Claude Harmon (last club pro to win a major and was considered as a good or sometimes better teacher than a player)
oldschool87
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

My four go to the men who changed the face of golf at different eras:

Old Tom Morris - most modern green keeping concepts
Ben Hogan - GOAT to me
Arnie - populist changed demographic to lower incomes
Tiger - dominant and changed face to increased

Jack is the majors leader but that's really "it" (yes I know that means a ton) but it's like having Teddy on the actual Rushmore - he changed national parks so he gets the nod. I just don't think Jack impacted the game enough.

Wow... um OK.

Jack got the game on TV.
Jack is the one who started the Money coming into the tournaments.
Jack increased the payouts 7 fold from his first win.
Tiger won more money in his first year or 2 then Jack won in his entire career. That had ZERO to do with Tiger.
Jack won 18 Majors, and finished 2nd 19 times, in 37 majors Jack finished 1st or 2nd. More than half the tour does not make 37 cuts in a major, much less finish in the top 10.
Jack knocked off the champ Arnold, There was no champ when Tiger got here.

They asked Jack about Tiger after he won his 7th or 8th Major. Jack said, lets not give him the crown yet, let him get married, have some kids, battle some injuries, its a long way to 18, I promise you...

Jack basically took the best years of his golfing career off in the mid 70's to raise his kids. Playing the tournament minimums, he still won 13 or 14 times in a 2 year span.

Jack also played with old school blades and a ballata ball. His scoring records still stand and/or are still within a stroke on many courses.

Tiger brought in the extra viewers to TV. Jack brought Golf to TV, to say anything else is rather short sighted!
jgh85Ag
AG
I don't think you can define golf by just 4 people.

I remember them calling Nicklaus a legend in his spare time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.