Vegas golf question.

3,184 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCityAg89
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bali Hai $189 or Royal Links $139

Going March 23-25. We're playing one round at Bears Best and the other at one of these two. Which would you pick and why? Thanks.
Texmid
AG
I played both of those about 5 years ago. Bali Hai was in far better shape.
skippytimmy
AG
Neither???
kwammer
Rio Secco
Yesterday
AG
skippytimmy said:

Neither???

Have you played both? If so, why would you prefer neither? If you prefer neither, which course would you suggest within that price range. Thanks.
Yesterday
AG
Revere golf club is another option. Aria is suggesting these so I'm assuming it's a concierge reading off a list.
agsalaska
AG
Neither.

If you add Revere to the list of options go there. Royal Links sucks. Bali Hai is crammed into a property that should have 9 holes not 18 and the airplanes are right in top of you.

Really just spend the extra 60 bucks or whatever and go to Rio Secco.
agsalaska
AG
Actually the hidden gem is Boulder Creek. It smokes both of your suggestions and will be in the 125 range. It's a 25 minute drive from the strip about 10 minutes past Royal Links. When I lived there we played it all of the time.
Yesterday
AG
An extra $60 is out. Going with some Cheapies that don't mind dropping $2k on the craps table but. Itch about a $200 green fee over 4 hours.
Yesterday
AG
Thanks!
agsalaska
AG
Check out Boulder Creek. Hands down a better course.
Yesterday
AG
Ended up at Revere yesterday and it was excellent. The conditions were primo. It was a tough course playing it blind but the fairways were lush and the greens were fast. The views were outstanding too.
dodger02
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Ended up at Revere yesterday and it was excellent. The conditions were primo. It was a tough course playing it blind but the fairways were lush and the greens were fast. The views were outstanding too.
Beer cart girls?
Yesterday
AG
dodger02 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Beer cart girls?

That area was lacking.
agsalaska
AG
Yea Revere is good
oldflyer
AG
agsalaska said:

Actually the hidden gem is Boulder Creek. It smokes both of your suggestions and will be in the 125 range. It's a 25 minute drive from the strip about 10 minutes past Royal Links. When I lived there we played it all of the time.
Golf seems to be very pricey in Vegas. Are the golf courses that good or are they soaking the tourists?
agsalaska
AG
I'd say yest to both. Generally speaking the conditions and layouts of the courses in Vegas are going to be much better than what you would find, publicly at least, in a normal town. It is also a unique style of golf being in the desert. Add to that the fact that it is Vegas and people come to blow money they get pretty expensive.

Locals don't pay anywhere near what the tourists play. It has gone up some since I left in 2012 but as a local we paid about $60 at Rio and the TPC. $35 at Boulder Creek. $50 at Revere. Of course the courses were starving for money during the recession. But it wasn't too expensive.

Like anything else though there are total ripoffs too. Some courses just suck. Even for free. I wouldn't go to Vegas and try to find a cheap round of golf. I would just spend the money and play a nice course.
Deluxe
AG
Probly a little late here but I played TPC Las Vegas and Bear's Best two weekends ago. Both were ~$150 for weekend tourist play.

TPC Las Vegas (not to be confused with TPC Summerlin... where the play the PGA Tour event)
-Very well manicured. Greens were some of the best I've seen on a public course.
-Challenging around the greens (lots of undulation and false edges)
-Course is generally straight-forward and fair
-Some cool views of the strip
-Hit balls next to Scott Piercy
-Really good hot dogs

Bear's Best
-Designed to feature 18 of Nicklaus's most prominent holes... cool idea
-Horribly manicured (fairways were like rough, greens were slow)
-Lots of elevation change with great views of mountains/strip
-Food staff not friendly at all. Took about 15 minutes to get hot dogs and refresh beers at the turn.

Definitely recommend TPC Las Vegas if you don't mind forking over the dough. Bear's Best not so much.
Yesterday
AG
Deluxe said:

Probly a little late here but I played TPC Las Vegas and Bear's Best two weekends ago. Both were ~$150 for weekend tourist play.

TPC Las Vegas (not to be confused with TPC Summerlin... where the play the PGA Tour event)
-Very well manicured. Greens were some of the best I've seen on a public course.
-Challenging around the greens (lots of undulation and false edges)
-Course is generally straight-forward and fair
-Some cool views of the strip
-Hit balls next to Scott Piercy
-Really good hot dogs

Bear's Best
-Designed to feature 18 of Nicklaus's most prominent holes... cool idea
-Horribly manicured (fairways were like rough, greens were slow)
-Lots of elevation change with great views of mountains/strip
-Food staff not friendly at all. Took about 15 minutes to get hot dogs and refresh beers at the turn.

Definitely recommend TPC Las Vegas if you don't mind forking over the dough. Bear's Best not so much.

Dang. When did you play Bears Best? I had exactly the opposite opinion of the place. I even wrote a good review on Facebook and I hardly ever do that. It was the fourth time out there and it was always good. I guess every course can catch a down period. I would try it again if you get a chance.
agsalaska
AG
TPC Vegas is a better course than TPC Summerlin. But not as crowd friendly. You played the right TPC. Great golf course.
playeroftheyear69
AG
Agreed. I played Bear's Best this past September and thought it was in great shape, and I have played all over. I will say the greens were a touch slow.
Deluxe
AG
Interesting. Sounds like I caught Bear's Best at the wrong time. Will have to try again (maybe in the Summer or Fall).
AggieLitigator
I played Bears Best and Rio Secco in February. Amazing shape! Rio let me know they're closing the course in a few months and doing a major renovation on the course. They were excited about it.
CapCityAg89
AG
Side comment on this: I googled club rental Las Vegas and came on this site called VIP golf. 45 bucks for new Callaways and five off the rack rate at Rio Secco for next week. Clubs delivered and picked up from the hotel. I'll report back but the deal/simplicity looks awesome.
BigHitterDaLama
Pauite ...... little bit of a drive but awesome
Matsui
AG
How did it work?
Yesterday
AG
Holy bump batman! If you're referring to the original post it worked out great. Revere was a good choice!
CapCityAg89
AG
Matsui said:

How did it work?

Really well. They were super flexible (we had to change dates a couple times). Clubs delivered to hotel bell desk and I just dropped back there when I got back. I played the Calloway's as I wanted to test drive but they had a bunch of options. Also had discounts (GolfNow level) at a bunch of courses. I'd recommend.

Rio Secco was a blast. But took agalaska's recommendation on Boulder in an earlier trip and that's easily the best experience I've had in Vegas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.