When do you buy a new driver?

2,177 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agracer
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I still play an R1 I was graciously gifted on here by a fellow poster, but I'm starting to get the itch for something new. I was just curious how often you get a new driver?
Ag_07
AG
Usually right after one of the guys in my normal foursome gets a new one.
FirefightAg
AG
Never

Still hit my TM 580xd from circa '02-03 in HS long and straight. 280-300
khaos288
AG
I was playing some old crap when I hit my buddies g30.

Now I have a G30. Won't switch for a long time. Second safest club in my bag after my putter.
TexsAggies
AG
I played an R11 for a while until the M1 came out and I'm still getting used to it. I recommend taking one out for a couple rounds before pulling the trigger.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At this point, probably every 5 years or so. It was more frequent around the time metal switched to titanium (1-2 years), because there were a series of big changes that happened over the course of about 5-7 years as drivers continually got lighter, bigger, and hotter (so longer with bigger sweet spots). But technology largely stabilized after the COR and head size limits were introduced, and as a result, the benefits of upgrading got smaller and harder to find. These days it seems to be much more about optimizing the right fit than finding some new jaw-dropping tech that is going to give you a big boost, and if you've found that fit (which I feel good about what I have), the incentive to change is much lower for me. My last driver purchase was an exact match of my current driver, just to have a backup.

And when I do buy, i buy the marked down model once the $300-400 are about $150 new.
Wildcat
AG
Whenever I break it.
ORAggieFan
10-12 months.
jj9000
AG
Usually on every day that ends with y.
07fta07
AG
I'd still be playing an R7 TP had I not cracked the crown last year. Replaced it with an M1 and am very glad I did. I'll probably play this one for another 6-7+ years like my last one.

The only thing I change every few years is wedges. Still playing some 7 year old Adams CB-1 irons, although I'm considering looking for something new later this year. I'll definitely replace my Mizuno wedges this year as they're about 3 years old now and wearing out.
98Ag99Grad
AG
My R11 has been so good to me I hate to switch, but I'll probably look in to it this spring. I stick with drivers much longer than iron sets.
LHIOB
AG
I played a Great Big Bertha II from 2003 until last summer. I made the upgrade to reduce the damage on my mi****s.

For the average golfer there is really no reason to spend $400 a year on a driver. But thanks to everyone who does buy clubs like that because the rest of us really enjoy the ample selection at Lou's.
khaos288
AG
LHIOB said:

I played a Great Big Bertha II from 2003 until last summer. I made the upgrade to reduce the damage on my mi****s.

For the average golfer there is really no reason to spend $400 a year on a driver. But thanks to everyone who does buy clubs like that because the rest of us really enjoy the ample selection at Lou's.
That's where I get all my stuff
powerbelly
AG
Rarely. I have purchased 2 drivers in the last 10 years.

Taylormade R5 and Cleveland Classic 290.

I find that new drivers rarely get more distance or accuracy for me.

Icecream_Ag
S
still hitting my Callaway FT-5 that I got forever and a day ago.

Every time I get an itch to buy a new driver, I'll take it into a store and hit it on the monitors against the latest greatest technology and find that the "15 yards gained" is more like -2 to 2 and the dispersion is pretty similar as well.

So in short, drivers have finally gotten back to what Callaway made 10+ years ago.

has saved me $1000's though, so not complaining.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Anyone still bagging a square driver?
ORAggieFan
98Ag99Grad said:

Anyone still bagging a square driver?
I've got a buddy that just swapped on out. Man that thing was ugly.
Aggie369
AG
5-7 years if the numbers are worth it....I'll hit this new callaway epic in a few months and see if my mi****s are better

Probably won't be enough to warrant a change though. Normally it's the shaft
Icecream_Ag
S
Aggie369 said:

5-7 years if the numbers are worth it....I'll hit this new callaway epic in a few months and see if my mi****s are better

Probably won't be enough to warrant a change though. Normally it's the shaft
swung the epic a the weekend after it released. backspin numbers were really low, but my swing was crap so couldnt tell you more than that
Aggie369
AG
If ball speed is increased like they claim and I can dial in my spin rate with good launch angle they might have a customer
Icecream_Ag
S
Aggie369 said:

If ball speed is increased like they claim and I can dial in my spin rate with good launch angle they might have a customer
i think that the few good swings I made had about a 12* launch 110ish ball speed (that may have been a different number) 96-98 swing speed and 1500-1700 backspin. That was with the regular and subzero.

240-250 carry and 260-270 on the roll. most swings (even the good ones) were towards the toe.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where did you hit it?

I'm thinking about being fitted for a new driver soon. My Hibore XLS is getting a little long in the tooth.

Looking at the 915 D2, specifically.
t - cam
AG
Been hitting this for about 8 years. Still seems hot to me and I trust it. I play around with the idea of a new driver several times a year but can't ever pull the trigger.

ORAggieFan
Icecream_Ag said:

Aggie369 said:

i think that the few good swings I made had about a 12* launch 110ish ball speed (that may have been a different number) 96-98 swing speed and 1500-1700 backspin. That was with the regular and subzero.

240-250 carry and 260-270 on the roll. most swings (even the good ones) were towards the toe.

I hit the new Great Big Bertha and my swing speed about yours, maybe slightly less until I'm really warm. My carry is aboit 215. 230 when warm. If I can gain that much with a switch I'm all over it.
Brick Tamland
I gave mine away a few months ago. In the market for one right now, will probably get one after I replace my 3W
Maroonedinaustin
AG
The biggest improvement for me has come from fitting the correct shaft.
07fta07
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

The biggest improvement for me has come from fitting the correct shaft.

Makes all the difference
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Still playing the 2009 Burner. Did a side-by-side recently with several of the new drivers. Long story short...I have no plans to switch boomsticks.
agracer
AG
I bought a new one last year after 2 seasons of hitting my 3w off the tee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.