Pebble Beach Pro Am

6,140 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by White Liberals=The Worst
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think she's fine. She's just part of a weak team.
Aggie369
AG
Everyone has different opinions of courses and which they like...just commenting that if someone said they weren't a fan of pebble beach it wouldn't be the first time I've heard it from reputable/well travelled golfers.

My dad, my brother, and I all went to play Bandon a few years ago....we ranked those courses from best to worst and all 3 lists were very different. We also took a trip to Scotland to play...again our lists were very different.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Played Spanish Bay and bought souvenirs from Pebble. Worked out well.
1208HawkTree
AG
aginlakeway said:

Aggie369 said:

I know quite a few guys who rank pebble way down the list when looking at top courses in the country....it's pretty but not worth anything close to $500 to play. I've never played there so don't have an opinion

This is from guys who have played a lot of the top 100 courses though and aren't "star struck" with being at pebble
Pebble is worth 500 to play ... ONCE, just because it's Pebble and the scenery.

Humble brag ... I've been very blessed and have played the courses ranked among the best, including Augusta, Pine Valley, Seminole and Muirfield Village. I'd put Pebble in the top 5 that I've played, but not at the top.

The truth about these lists tho is a lot of the best courses in the country don't want anything to do with those Top 100 lists. Alotian comes to mind. It's ranked pretty high, but it may be in the top 5 if more people knew about it, and more "rankers" got to play it ...

My FIL is trying to setup a trip to Monterey for his 60th birthday, and that is exactly how we look at it. Don't worry about how much it costs, pay it, play it, and enjoy every second of it. He lives in Long Beach, so I'm pushing him to ask his co-workers and friends to see if he can get tickets to the UCLA game, and we can make a week out of it by heading up there after we BTHO them.
JYDog90
AG
Now THAT sounds like a good week.
AustinCountyAg
DannyDuberstein said:

What I really don't get is that how, as an amateur hack, you can have either the gumption or complete and total lack of awareness/etiquette to take that many practice swings and olay that slow while a couple of pros, who are playing for their paycheck, stand a few yards away waiting on you.

Because they are celebrities or millionaires who think their **** don't stink.
CapCityAg89
AG
I played CP a couple years ago and couldn't get out of my own way. I kept replaying The Match in my head and getting wrapped up in the history. I don't know if TexAgs would like it though - it's short. Only about 6400 yards. But it'll kick your ass.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

The truth about these lists tho is a lot of the best courses in the country don't want anything to do with those Top 100 lists. Alotian comes to mind. It's ranked pretty high, but it may be in the top 5 if more people knew about it, and more "rankers" got to play it ...
Yep
Texmid
AG
I was fortunate enough to play Pebble and Spyglass in 2015. Spyglass was beautiful but it does not compare to Pebble. If you have a chance, go play Pebble and pay for a caddie. The caddie had so many incredible stories it was worth every penny.

2015 was actually a phenomenal year for me because I was able to play the Old Course at St. Andrews, Gleneagles, Pinehurst #2, Pebble, and Spyglass.
jonj101
CapCityAg89 said:

I played CP a couple years ago and couldn't get out of my own way. I kept replaying The Match in my head and getting wrapped up in the history. I don't know if TexAgs would like it though - it's short. Only about 6400 yards. But it'll kick your ass.
That is my number 1 bucket list course in the world - even over Augusta and Pine Valley. It just seems like there is no other course that could compare to it. I've also read The Match and it is a great book and description of the course. Congrats on getting on.

As for Pebble, I have a personal deal with myself that I can't play it until I break 80 (been playing 6 years and I'm still trying to figure this game out). I've come close but haven't made it happen. Hopefully this will be the year.
jonj101
Texmid said:

I was fortunate enough to play Pebble and Spyglass in 2015. Spyglass was beautiful but it does not compare to Pebble. If you have a chance, go play Pebble and pay for a caddie. The caddie had so many incredible stories it was worth every penny.

2015 was actually a phenomenal year for me because I was able to play the Old Course at St. Andrews, Gleneagles, Pinehurst #2, Pebble, and Spyglass.
Sorry for the double post but this brings up a question - so with a 500 dollar green fee what do the caddies run? When its all said and done is Pebble a 700-800 dollar round?
Mr.Bond
AG
Completely guessing, i would think caddie is probably 25ish to the course plus tip ($50 bucks per player?)
98Ag99Grad
AG
Depends on where you're at but at Pebble figure on paying $60-75 to the caddie. I paid my guy at Erin Hills $75. he was really good though and I enjoyed the small talk between shots.
BigHitterDaLama
I got an invite over the weekend to play CP from a Tech VP of Sales my company is partnering with....this is supposed to go down during our next Spring QBR.....fingers crossed !!!!!
DallasAggie89
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Completely guessing, i would think caddie is probably 25ish to the course plus tip ($50 bucks per player?)

Caddie is $80 to the course plus tip to the caddie. Figure at least $50 for the tip.

By the time you eat lunch, have a few drinks and buy some things in the pro shop you will easily drop $800-900 for the day.

Mr.Bond
AG
ouch
Mr.Bond
AG
The fee to the course for a caddie is complete bull***** From what two different courses caddies have told me they dont see of dime of that fee. They work off 100% tips
aginlakeway
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Depends on where you're at but at Pebble figure on paying $60-75 to the caddie. I paid my guy at Erin Hills $75. he was really good though and I enjoyed the small talk between shots.
I paid 100 at Pebble. It was easily a 1000 day.

And remember, you are only guaranteed a tee time at Pebble if you stay at the Lodge or Spanish Bay, so that's 700.night. BUT it's a public course and you can call at 7 a.m. to inquire about openings that day. That's how I got on. We were out there for 4 days and the first day I called at 7 a.m., I got on!
aginlakeway
AG
jonj101 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

That is my number 1 bucket list course in the world - even over Augusta and Pine Valley. It just seems like there is no other course that could compare to it. I've also read The Match and it is a great book and description of the course. Congrats on getting on.

As for Pebble, I have a personal deal with myself that I can't play it until I break 80 (been playing 6 years and I'm still trying to figure this game out). I've come close but haven't made it happen. Hopefully this will be the year.
CP is pretty much the only one left on my bucket list actually. I have a few leads, but no tee time so far!

Pine Valley will be tough to beat. I was a good player back then (3-4 handicap) and I shot 94. That course kicked my ass.

Augusta was a tad shorter when I played it way back in 1995. I actually shot 84 from the members tees. The greens were brutal.
tandy miller
AG
Quote:

CP is pretty much the only one left on my bucket list actually. I have a few leads, but no tee time so far!
What course is CP? Sorry if stupid question
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cypress point
Mr.Bond
AG
tandy miller said:

Quote:

What course is CP? Sorry if stupid question
I so wanted to do a "Sandot" moment here. THE GREAT BAMBINO!!!!
EKUAg
AG
From the celebrity perspective there wasn't enough:

Kelly Rohrbach

OBTW, she played college golf at Georgetown.
EKUAg
AG
Texmid said:

I got to play Cypress in 1985 when I was stationed at Fort Ord as a LT. Friends of my roommate had parents who lived next store to the Head Pro from Cypress. Got us a tee time one day. Only cost caddie tip. He was great. Was handing me clubs by the third hole without asking.

Got to play Pebble twice as well as Spyglass. Back when Pebble only cost $125 and Spyglass $60 with a NCGA member card.

Played Poppy Hills prior to the redesign. Only played there because the friend that got my roommate and me onto Cypress before had me set up to go again but he broke his ankle playing softball the week before. He then tried to get me on Pebble for employee rates (he ran one of the restaurants by then) but no dice.

Played a lot at Bayonet and Black Horse. I recommend them as well.

My bucket list in the states is down to Augusta and Oakmont.
ORAggieFan
EKUAg said:

Kelly Rohrbach

Saw her birdie 18 Saturday and googled her. Wow! Some nice pics.
White Liberals=The Worst
ORAggieFan said:

EKUAg said:

Kelly Rohrbach

Saw her birdie 18 Saturday and googled her. Wow! Some nice pics.

To those who haven't looked her up...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.