Pebble Beach Pro Am

6,128 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by White Liberals=The Worst
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The slow play is ridiculous. Just watched Clay Walker take 3 practice swings, have his club cleaned, takes another practice swing, then duffs the ball about 40 yards on a par 3. Supposed 10 handicap.
Big Cat `93
AG
I was watching earlier and wondering who this guy was taking as long as Keegan to whack away. It was Justin Freaking Timberlake. I turned it to the Champions tourney.
vwbug
Spieth looks to be rounding into Masters form.
HouAggie
AG
vwbug said:

Did he chunk a wedge into the lake? I must have missed that.
stick93
AG
I was on a Friday flight from SF with Rich Beem many years ago. Granted he had just missed the cut but he referred to it as "that ****ing dump". He hated everything about that tournament but especially the format. 6+ hours on a course he didn't like just to satisfy sponsors was not his cup of tea.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What I really don't get is that how, as an amateur hack, you can have either the gumption or complete and total lack of awareness/etiquette to take that many practice swings and olay that slow while a couple of pros, who are playing for their paycheck, stand a few yards away waiting on you.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I did sort of call that Clay Walker duff though. Even though they put "10 handicap" on the screen, after seeing all of those practice swings, I told my wife, "He's about to shank this into the ocean." We got a 40 yard duff instead, but close enough.
vwbug
Did anyone see the Phil Blackmar interview with Bill Murray (or lack of interview) on the golf channel yesterday? Murray wasn't happy about something, not sure what, but very strange.
vwbug
HouAggie said:

vwbug said:

Did he chunk a wedge into the lake? I must have missed that.
Ha, no. I would take a three year stretch of 2, 1, 2 at the masters, not bad.
agsalaska
AG
It's really unfortunate that is is played on two of the best golf courses in the country. The should dump Newport and the amateurs and play it like Torrey Pines does it. It would be a great tournament. Leave the BS Hollywood **** to that other tournament.
ORAggieFan
agsalaska said:

It's really unfortunate that is is played on two of the best golf courses in the country. The should dump Newport and the amateurs and play it like Torrey Pines does it. It would be a great tournament. Leave the BS Hollywood **** to that other tournament.
Agree. Turns into a cluster of a tourney.

I know it won't happen for TV/Sponsor reasons, but I'd love if Saturday of Torrey was played on the North so you had two rounds on each.
12thMan2012
AG
The Pro-Ams are my least favorite tournaments to watch. Especially since it seems like most of the amateurs are just billionaires that we've never heard of.
Mr.Bond
AG
stick93 said:

I was on a Friday flight from SF with Rich Beem many years ago. Granted he had just missed the cut but he referred to it as "that ****ing dump". He hated everything about that tournament but especially the format. 6+ hours on a course he didn't like just to satisfy sponsors was not his cup of tea.

He called pebble a dump or the tournament format a dump
AgDotCom
The tournament is unwatchable until Sunday, and even then you don't want to have a loaded gun next to you.
jja79
AG
Are the ratings good for this? Golfers hate it and non golfers aren't going to tune in to watch Murray and Clay Walker chunk golf balls are they?
aginlakeway
AG
vwbug said:

Did anyone see the Phil Blackmar interview with Bill Murray (or lack of interview) on the golf channel yesterday? Murray wasn't happy about something, not sure what, but very strange.
Murray was pissed at the camera guy. His shadow was in Murray's sight of line for his second shot on #1. So he was still pissed at the camera guy ... same one was with Blackmar for the attempted interview. VERY awkward ...

Murray approached the camera guy later and made up ...
aginlakeway
AG
Mr.Bond said:

stick93 said:

No way he called Pebble a dump. It's the format.
Matsui
AG
I despise CBS golf coverage here. Limited shots of the leaders and more time spent covering amateurs and shots of pebble.
The Milkman
AG
The players and die hard golf fans aren't the ones driving ratings. That's a small portion of the bigger pie. Everyday Joe enjoys seeing the celebs and pseudo-regular people play on a pro stage.

Outside of the majors, it and The Players were the highest tournaments last years.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/10/pga-tour-ratings-wrap-2016-cbs-nbc-fox-viewership/
aginlakeway
AG
I'll never complain about aerials of Pebble ... most beautiful place in the world ...

Got married there 6 years ago. Was just back 2 weeks ago for anniversary.

stick93
AG
Mr.Bond said:

stick93 said:

Probably shouldn't have put it in quotes because it was years ago and my memory is bad. But he definitely wasn't a fan of either. Heavy on the dislike of the format. But I do recall him wondering why people spend so much to play the place.
Mr.Bond
AG
That's surprising. I've never heard anyone say they regretted doing it. Quite opposite really
jja79
AG
Matsui said:

I despise CBS golf coverage here. Limited shots of the leaders and more time spent covering amateurs and shots of pebble.

CBS coverage of golf is bad. Nance sucks the life out if everything. Their cast of Dottie Pepper, Ian Baker-Finch, the konica minolta swing guy and McCord is worn out.
Aggie1391
Phil went 33-44 today
STL_aTm
AG
I actually think Dottie is a great analyst. On the other hand, Ian is terrible.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Aggie1391 said:

Phil went 33-44 today

Looks one of my splits. If you change the 33 to a 55. And the 44 to a 55.
1208HawkTree
AG
stick93 said:

But I do recall him wondering why people spend so much to play the place.

...says the guy who not only doesn't pay a dime to play and has access to pretty much any course he chooses, but gets paid to play them.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
aginlakeway said:

I'll never complain about aerials of Pebble ... most beautiful place in the world ...

Got married there 6 years ago. Was just back 2 weeks ago for anniversary.

congratulations that is awesome !
CatD11Ag
AG
What is Pebble now - $500?

Some friends here in Nashville about to fly out and play there. Lucky them.

Timberlake was brutal. I know he is supposedly a good golfer, but on Sunday the amateurs should play quick, stay out of the way and pick up if out of the hole.
husker6869
Let's go play! Right there with you.
Aggie369
AG
I know quite a few guys who rank pebble way down the list when looking at top courses in the country....it's pretty but not worth anything close to $500 to play. I've never played there so don't have an opinion

This is from guys who have played a lot of the top 100 courses though and aren't "star struck" with being at pebble
aginlakeway
AG
Aggie369 said:

I know quite a few guys who rank pebble way down the list when looking at top courses in the country....it's pretty but not worth anything close to $500 to play. I've never played there so don't have an opinion

This is from guys who have played a lot of the top 100 courses though and aren't "star struck" with being at pebble
Pebble is worth 500 to play ... ONCE, just because it's Pebble and the scenery.

Humble brag ... I've been very blessed and have played the courses ranked among the best, including Augusta, Pine Valley, Seminole and Muirfield Village. I'd put Pebble in the top 5 that I've played, but not at the top.

The truth about these lists tho is a lot of the best courses in the country don't want anything to do with those Top 100 lists. Alotian comes to mind. It's ranked pretty high, but it may be in the top 5 if more people knew about it, and more "rankers" got to play it ...
JYDog90
AG
I've heard Spyglass is better than Pebble. But when I went several years ago to see the place, I went to Pebble Beach. If I could only play one or the other in my life, I would want a pic like aginlakeway's got, a pic at spyglass doesn't do it.
Mr.Bond
AG
You and I need to become friends
aginlakeway
AG
willie wonka said:

I've heard Spyglass is better than Pebble. But when I went several years ago to see the place, I went to Pebble Beach. If I could only play one or the other in my life, I would want a pic like aginlakeway's got, a pic at spyglass doesn't do it.
I have never played Spyglass. Pebble is the only course I have played out there. I thought I was on Cypress Point a few years ago ... maybe one day!

But I've heard a few folks say Spyglass is a better golf course. Pebble is all about the scenery and history. But it's a course every golfer has to play some day ... but just once. It ain't worth the money to play it again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.