Putting mat question

5,043 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr.Bond
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are the holes on these things usually larger than a real cup? I've made 250+ putts in a row today from 5' and could never do that on a course... fwiw, mat is a Sklz accelerator pro
ORAggieFan
Same size. I have same mat. No break makes things amazingly easy. Still helps with form.
tandy miller
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Same size. I have same mat. No break makes things amazingly easy. Still helps with form.

Sure helps with confidence though. I'm up to 400 putts today, exactly 0 misses. Seems like the ramp is a bit deceptive though. Pretty sure a few would have hit the back of the cup and popped out. I putt on that mat while watching tv every night. Wish there was a way to reduce hole size on it
bdgol07
AG
Drill holes in it and place tees on either side to make the cup smaller
Mr.Bond
AG
No break, no real grain, completely level. All points towards easy putts. Put some foam under it to give it a break or reduce the cup size
tandy miller
AG
There is a very slight left to right break, as my floor isn't level. I'll try putting some tees in to reduce hole size
CapCity12thMan
AG
there's also the visual of the parallel lines generated by the edges of the mat, which helps.

Practice trying to make 10 putts fall in the left edge of the cup, 10 into the right edge, 10 that just barely go in and 10 that hit the back of the cup. Now you are REALLY practicing.
tandy miller
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

there's also the visual of the parallel lines generated by the edges of the mat, which helps.

Practice trying to make 10 putts fall in the left edge of the cup, 10 into the right edge, 10 that just barely go in and 10 that hit the back of the cup. Now you are REALLY practicing.
Also have parallel lines in the middle of the mat. I will try your suggestions tonight. I need to do something, I should not be able to sink 400 in a row.
BAS for life
keep using it..you dont realize how much the lines on the mat are helping with good alignment.
tandy miller
AG
BAS for life said:

keep using it..you dont realize how much the lines on the mat are helping with good alignment.
That has been my main goal, keeping the ball between the lines all the way to the hole. I was struggling with pushing and them starting left (im a lefty). It has helped immensely in that regard, but I would like to make it more challenging
BigHitterDaLama
Try it this way.......and just be the ball.

tandy miller
AG
Yesterday
AG
Confidence is absolutely huge when it comes to 3-5' putts. People usually miss these because they never release the club resulting in short off line putts.
Boo Weekley
I would think 250 in a row from 5ft is very very impressive imo. No matter how flat and consistent the surface is.
tandy miller
AG
Here's ~50 from this morning before work.

Oso96
AG
You may want to try it right handed. Much harder IMO.

tandy miller
AG
I don't have a RH putter. Thinking of trying with one hand to train each hand individually
jj9000
AG
No doubt that the repetition is doing some good.

Now, try it with a bit of pressure...outside...with a real cup.

Start with 3 feet putts (put your putter on the ground with the sole at the front of the cup...stick a tee in the grass lining up with the butt end of your putter).

3 Feet:
  • Try to make 25 putts in a row
  • Miss 1 putt, start back at 1
  • Finish the 3 foot challenge

4 Feet:
  • Finish the 4 foot challenge
5 Feet:
  • Finish the 5 foot challenge

If you can finish all (3) of these in (1) Day, you are way ahead of the curve.

Boo Weekley
tandy miller said:

I could never do that. You have a gift. I'm being serious. I tend to be pretty good putting from a distance but really suck at 3-4 foot putts even with little to no break sometimes. I think it's mostly mental and I think myself into a weird motion resulting in pull or push.
tandy miller
AG
jj9000 said:

No doubt that the repetition is doing some good.

Now, try it with a bit of pressure...outside...with a real cup.

Start with 3 feet putts (put your putter on the ground with the sole at the front of the cup...stick a tee in the grass lining up with the butt end of your putter).

3 Feet:
  • Finish the 3 foot challenge

4 Feet:
  • Finish the 4 foot challenge
5 Feet:
  • Finish the 5 foot challenge

If you can finish all (3) of these in (1) Day, you are way ahead of the curve.

I do a compass drill a lot. 8 balls, 4 directions.... 3' & 4' from each direction. Same thing, miss and start over. Usually takes me about 5 times to get it. I have to use a 6 iron to measure.... with the head in the cup it is 36" to end of grip. Each grip length adds roughly a foot. (putter is only 30") I will definitely be trying this drill though, JJ.... I have a feeling I will be there a LONG time before I run out of daylight or complete.... Running out of light seems more realistic though. Thanks for sharing!
tandy miller
AG
Boo Weekley said:

tandy miller said:

I could never do that. You have a gift. I'm being serious. I tend to be pretty good putting from a distance but really suck at 3-4 foot putts even with little to no break sometimes. I think it's mostly mental and I think myself into a weird motion resulting in pull or push.
Thanks. I got up to 400 in a row saturday before leaving # 401 Short. It's not as hard as it looks, once I get into a groove it's like clockwork. Reading greens is my main issue, so those longer putts really get me in trouble. Hell, even 5 footers get me sometimes... I probably only make 55-65% of 5' on the course. FWIW I usually average about 34-36 putts a round, and my first putt is usually >20' unless im chipping (iron play is very weak)
Boo Weekley
tandy miller said:

Boo Weekley said:

tandy miller said:

Thanks. I got up to 400 in a row saturday before leaving # 401 Short. It's not as hard as it looks, once I get into a groove it's like clockwork. Reading greens is my main issue, so those longer putts really get me in trouble. Hell, even 5 footers get me sometimes... I probably only make 55-65% of 5' on the course. FWIW I usually average about 34-36 putts a round, and my first putt is usually >20' unless im chipping (iron play is very weak)
Crazy how different peoples games can be when it comes to putting. In scrambles and when golfing with buddies I'm often complimented on my putting from 10-30+ feet. I think I am pretty good at reading those and often put it very close to the hole for half foot tap in. But I get the yips with 3 and 4 footers from time to time and will miss some embarrassing putts. Maybe I need to get something like this. If I could start making almost all puts within 3-5 feet, I'd be very happy with my game.

Similar to my pool game. I seem to specialize in the more difficult angled shots and sometimes choke with the dead on easy shot. I think I just feel less pressure when I'm not expected to make it.

All this being said, I just had an epiphany...the short putt is the one part of my game I have never really practiced...maybe that would help!
tandy miller
AG
Boo Weekley said:

tandy miller said:

Boo Weekley said:

tandy miller said:

Crazy how different peoples games can be when it comes to putting. In scrambles and when golfing with buddies I'm often complimented on my putting from 10-30+ feet. I think I am pretty good at reading those and often put it very close to the hole for half foot tap in. But I get the yips with 3 and 4 footers from time to time and will miss some embarrassing putts. Maybe I need to get something like this. If I could start making almost all puts within 3-5 feet, I'd be very happy with my game.

If we could combine our putting we would be unstoppable! My speed is usually correct on long putts, but read is horrible. It's not uncommon for me to have a long breaking putt be below the hole after only the first 5-10 ft. IMO 3-5 footers can be made a lot more with consistent stroke practice. I know when I stand over a short put like that now (if it is relatively flat) I don't have to think much. The movement has become automatic after several thousand putts the last few weeks. the mental part of the long putts (reading break, picking line, etc) gets me... it's not my stroke.
tandy miller
AG
Quote:

All this being said, I just had an epiphany...the short putt is the one part of my game I have never really practiced...maybe that would help

SKLZ makes the same mat that I have but only 3' long. Maybe look into that. Seeing the ball go in so much has definitely given me a confidence boost
gravy97
AG
One thing you can do to reduce the cup size is find a piece of foam and cut it to the size of the hole so that it will fit in... and then cut out a hole in the middle of it. You may want to extend that hole to the front edge of foam so that you end up with more of a 'C' shape... make it so there is just enough room for one ball to fit in.

Another, quicker to make option is place a ball or tee or coin or lego or thomas the train on the edge of each side of the cup, to make a smaller little tunnel the ball has to go thru...so that it has to go right in the middle.

One note of caution... i notice your feet are on the carpet (so slightly below) and then you are just in socks.... so the muscle memory may be slightly different than putting with golf shoes with your feet on the same level as the mat. However, you look like you have it rolling pretty consistently.

A fun game i have tried with my putting mat is have 5 balls... and putt them one after the other, leaving them in the hole. The hole will fill up and get smaller with each ball sitting in the cup, so you have to aim at different sides of the hole, etc... then after 4 balls are in, the cup is full... so the 5th ball you need to get to climb up on the other balls so that it is balanced in the middle of all of them.
Jimmie Dimmick
Yeah, maybe it's silly, but when I'm practicing putting at home, I tend to make sure I'm wearing shoes of some sort because there definitely is a little bit different feel and angles to standing over a putt without them.

I'd also recommend plastic bottle caps as a good option to either use as a "tunnel", or for someone that doesn't have a cup, use them as a target.
tandy miller
AG

Quote:

One note of caution... i notice your feet are on the carpet (so slightly below) and then you are just in socks.... so the muscle memory may be slightly different than putting with golf shoes with your feet on the same level as the mat. However, you look like you have it rolling pretty consistently.
Never thought about... Will have to start wearing shoes. Thanks for pointing that out

Quote:

A fun game i have tried with my putting mat is have 5 balls... and putt them one after the other, leaving them in the hole. The hole will fill up and get smaller with each ball sitting in the cup, so you have to aim at different sides of the hole, etc... then after 4 balls are in, the cup is full... so the 5th ball you need to get to climb up on the other balls so that it is balanced in the middle of all of them.
This is an interesting idea... I guess I could stuff a sock in the tunnel to keep balls from being returned?
tandy miller
AG
Another side note- After putting several thousand from 5' i moved up to 3' and it felt VERY weird... Im going to start putting from 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5' to mix up the distances so that I have muscle memory for more than 5 footers
gravy97
AG
Quote:

This is an interesting idea... I guess I could stuff a sock in the tunnel to keep balls from being returned?
I didn't notice the fact that yours had the return up the side... so the 5 ball game may not work as well... my putting mat just has a hole the drops a half inch to the floor with no return
tandy miller
AG
gravy97 said:

Quote:

I didn't notice the fact that yours had the return up the side... so the 5 ball game may not work as well... my putting mat just has a hole the drops a half inch to the floor with no return
I think it will still work, though I may only be able to fit 4 balls. Ive got the hole effectively reduced to 3.5" with two tees in front of the cup at the moment. Amazing how much harder that half inch makes it.
gravy97
AG
I made this little video a few years ago of the 5 ball putting drill

tandy miller
AG
gravy97 said:

I made this little video a few years ago of the 5 ball putting drill

What kind of mat is that?
gravy97
AG
That is a Big Moss putting green... I love it... I've had it for over 10 years and it still rolls great.
tandy miller
AG
gravy97 said:

That is a Big Moss putting green... I love it... I've had it for over 10 years and it still rolls great.
I will have to look into those, I was looking at the birdie balls greens but ultimately decided against it due to reviews on golfwrx stating thjat there were some durability issues
tandy miller
AG
So I played Sunday, and not only could I tell a difference, but my playing partner actually commented on my putting. Shot a 94 with 32 putts. One 3 putt. Still missed a few putts I should have made, but made some I should have missed..... namely a 45+ footer. Everything is starting to slowwwwly come together. Until it falls apart again
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.