Friday - Hole in Ones

3,547 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 07fta07
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because it's Friday and nobody wants to be at work, let's share stories of any aces you have or witnessed.

Mine: Hole 12 at Westridge in McKinney, TX. Pitching wedge, pin was tucked behind a small hill so didn't see it land or go in the hole. Walked on the green and didn't see my ball, thought I must've flown over. Checked the hole halfway joking and there was my ball. Awesome feeling.

Tripled the next hole. I hate golf.
playeroftheyear69
AG
Mine: Hole 2 @ Golf Club Parco di Firenze in Florence, Italy, while on honeymoon. It was a neat little 9-hole, predominantly par 3 course, with 3 par 4's. I had to use some ****ty Wilson rentals and Maxfli Noodle golf balls, as the ol' lady did not want me lugging my sticks along on the honeymoon. I believe it was about 96 meters (105 yards) and I hit a sand wedge. Ball landed about 6" short of the cup, hopped 12" past the cup, and sucked back in. A couple of Italians on the next tee saw it go in and started cheering. Other than them, the only witness was my wife, who actually got really excited about it. Never made one on this side of the pond.

Since it was a 9-holer, we played it twice @ par 60. I shot 59.
gravy97
AG
I've played golf all my life... and have had exactly zero holes in one on my own... but its coming, I know it

When I was a kid, I was caddying for my brother in the Dallas Morning News junior matchplay event... I have no idea of where he stood in the match at the time, but he aced a par 3 at Cedar Crest that was being played on a temp green... anyway... when it went in, we high fived so hard that both of our hands were throbbing....

great story bro
LHIOB
AG
Never seen one and I play a ton of golf. I think my dad had 12.
agsalaska
AG
Last one I witnessed was 4 years ago on 15 at Rio Secco in Vegas. Buddy lands a six iron 10 yards short of the green and it rolls onto the green and another 30 feet into the hole. He swears he made good contact but it looked like a cut fade that was about a millimeter from being a hozzel rocket.

I have 2. The last one was my sophomore year. I made a 1 and a 10 in the same round and shot 84. Made the 10 on 18 and we lost the tournament by 1 shot. I came back the next year and won individual and we won the team so I got some level of revenge. Don't remember what I made on 18 the next year.

It's amazing to me how rare hole outs are.
Sazerac
AG
more impressed that you backed up a Noodle

Never seen one drop in nearly 30 years of golf, with thousands of rounds with good HS players. Many shots sitting on the lip (including my own) and a couple that rolled into the cup but were deflected by the pin.
Squatch
AG
I've never seen one in person. My dad had one many years ago. He skulled his tee shot, it hit about 50 yds short of the green and rolled up and in. Not pretty, but got the job done.
Old School Brother
agsalaska said:

Last one I witnessed was 4 years ago on 15 at Rio Secco in Vegas. Buddy lands a six iron 10 yards short of the green and it rolls onto the green and another 30 feet into the hole. He swears he made good contact but it looked like a cut fade that was about a millimeter from being a hozzel rocket.

I have 2. The last one was my sophomore year. I made a 1 and a 10 in the same round and shot 84. Made the 10 on 18 and we lost the tournament by 1 shot. I came back the next year and won individual and we won the team so I got some level of revenge. Don't remember what I made on 18 the next year.

It's amazing to me how rare hole outs are.
My buddy almost aced the drivable par 4 on the back 9 at rio secco a couple of years ago when we were there. Is it #13? Around 300 yards with a big hill behind the green? He flew it over the green onto the hill, ball kicked back onto the green and rolled toward the hole, stopping on line about 3-4" short.

When I was a teenager, I witnessed a friend of my uncle's make two aces in a short span. The first one was in a casual round, a beautiful shot that landed a little right of and behind the hole and checked up into the hole. Somewhere around three weeks later, we were playing in a charity tournament and he won a truck by hitting a skulled 7 iron that never got more than about a foot off the ground. Ball landed about 50 yards in front of the green, skipped up onto the green going about mach 3, hit the flag, and somehow went down into the hole.
EKUAg
AG
I've played since the summer of 73. I'very witnessed 3 holes in one and had to hit next each time. Played two groups behind someone who made one at Cota Island, Ireland and received the appropriate beverage when we got to the club house. Also have witnessed 2 albatrosses/double eagles.
agsalaska
AG
Yea that is 13. Your buddy caught it on a good day. From the tips in normal wind it is not reachable except for the very longest hitters. I mean Dustin Johnson types. Normally it was 3 iron sw.

But there were days we could get it there with the opposite winds, especially in the summer. I probably played that hole 200 times and if I remember right I eagle it once but from the front trap. I probably had 10 eagle putts but missed them all
1208HawkTree
AG
Only seen one, and it was a guy I was playing with in the Houston City Am qualifier at Meadowbrook Farms. He swore it was over the green (we were playing right back into the sun) but I saw it go in.

I've had one land in the cup on the fly and bounce out to 10 feet playing with my wife's uncle and Grandfather in Chicago, and I've kissed the pin in a scramble at Wildcat that would have won me a trip to Jamaica had it gone in. That was probably the most bitter to swallow because it had just as much of a chance to go in since it ended up less than a foot away. The dunked shot would have been good, but probably a few feet long had it not hit the cup.
dbtexasag05
A couple of years ago myself and a group of buddies qualified for the World Golf Classic in Vegas.

We made it to the final round and we were paired with 4 guys from Arizona. Two of the guys played on the ASU team with Mickelson and they were all sticks.

We get to what I believe was number 9 on the Bali Hingolf course, a tiny little par 3 over water. There is probably 300 people around this green and they are giving away a chance to will a million dollars at the Taylor Made center.

Our team went first and we all hit it within 5 feet. One guy on our squad hit it to about 3". Their first guy goes up and tells our player, "your ball is in the way." Th e crowd laughs a little bit and this guy hits it and says, "in".

Ball hits one time behind the flag and spins back in for an ace. Opens his wallet drops his credit card and tells the smokeshow officiating the thing drinks on me.

He wasn't kidding. He rolled up a tab of about 1500.00 bucks. Went to the Taylor made center and didn't even hit the green for his chance at a million.

That was a good time and I recommend anybody who has a shot to play in that tournament to do it.
nickel
I've only made one, and actually turned my back on it. It was like 125 into a breeze to a narrow peninsula green. Ball was on a good line but it felt a bit off the toe. I went down for the tee and started to walk back when a guy says it's all over it. I'm like "nah, it's gonna be a little short."

He's says "that might go" and as I turned back ... I saw it hit, take a hop, and fall.

Random oddity from the next round:
One of my friends from the club is scratch. He took a 10 on hole #2, made bogey on #3, and shot 71. Other than the 10, it was fun to watch.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Walked up as a single and got paired with 3 older guys playing from the senior tees. Their regular 4th was out and being a bunch of old guys, always teed off in the same order no matter the previous hole score. I was #3 that day, it was funny. #14 at Olmos, first guy hits his usual low bullet, 20 yards short of the green, rolls on and looks to be about 10 feet pin high, second guy (oldest of the bunch) hits a similar shot and I swear I thought it hit the pin and told him so, the flag was barely over the front ridge of the green. He said "I can't see that far". I hit it to about 15 feet pin high and the last guy hits it to the front edge. As we walk up to the green we see the 3 balls on the green and I said "I told you so, go look". There it was and #1 guy made his birdie putt and was *****ing about losing the hole. I had to sign the scorecard because they said the missing guy wasn't going to believe him. That actually is one of most favorite rounds ever, those guys were a hoot to play with.

One guy of our regular group had a new hybrid he didn't like, complained about it so much he gave it to one of the other guys. 3-4 rounds later the guy that took the club aced a 195 yard hole with that same club with the giver watching. Even funnier, we sat through about a 45 minute frost delay and the guy with the hole in one wanted to blow off that day and we talked him in to staying. Of course the giver has never had a hole in one and we like to bring that story up every time that guy pulls out the hybrid.

My first one was on #18 at Brackenridge before the remodel. It was 150 yards and I hit a very low 7 iron if you know what I mean, hit at the front of the green, was primed to go off the back but hit the pin squarely about a foot above the hole and dropped straight down the flag and in. It happened so fast it really didn't register for a few seconds. Fortunately for me it was Sunday morning about 11:00 and I was playing with one other guy so no drinks were involved.

My second was a pure shot, #11 at Willow Springs, 145 yard 7 iron that started slightly left of the flag, took one small hop forward and trickled into the hole. Playing with a buddy and another guy that walked up so that one only cost me about $100 in drinks.
SkierAg
AG
My Dad aced the par 3 17th at Bridlewood the weekend after his 50th birthday. It was playing 220+ and he hit a 2 iron. pin was in the front, ball bounced and rolled to the pin. being as far as we were we just assumed it was a great shot and we couldnt tell where it went. We initially thought it rolled behind the pin and he had a short putt. The closer we got, we started to realize it may very well be in the cup. I honestly don't remember if he bothered taking his putter bc he was sure it was in. Sure enough, there it was, ball mark was about 3 feet short of the cup and just rolled in. We didnt bother finishing out, he wanted to go straight to the bar and get drinks for people and celebrate. The two guys in there only cared for gatorade or something, so just me and my dad shared some whiskeys. He was kinda bummed no one was in the bar or the fellas that were there only wanted gatorade....pretty cool experience seeing your dad ace the hardest par 3 out there on a course you grew up playing and was working at during the time.
cmac94
AG
Mine was the 17th hole at Boondocks. Windmill hole. Smoked it straight up the ramp just missing the windmill blades. It rolled around inside for a bit then Popped out the other side and dropped straight in the bottom of the cup. It was magnificent and I'll never forget it. Spent a wad of cash on koolaide for my kids that night.
CapCityAg89
AG
I've witnessed three (with mine). First was #2 at Jimmy Clay in Austin. One hop past the hole and back into the hole. I was super excited because I'd never seen one.

Second was mine and about a week later on #4 at Bluebonnet. Playing with a random guy who speaks no English. It bounces once and rolls in. We actually got rained off the course after hitting our tee shots on #15. I waited it out and they finally let me walk the rest of the course in the mud, but I really wanted to finish the round.

The third was 7-8 years later after we'd moved to Florida. We are playing a 3 team front/back/total match with low two scores (3 man teams). We played the sixth (long 3 and I got a stroke). I hit to about 2 feet, net one and we had another make net birdie so 3 total. The team behind us we can watch from the tee box on seven. None of the thee are getting strokes. First guy hits about the same spot as me; second guy hits in a bunker; third guy dunks it. We shout and holler appropriately but as we walk off the tee, my boss says: "he'll be pissed when he doesn't win that hole."
LeFraud
Witnessed my first over the weekend.

Squaw Valley (Glen Rose) on the Lakes, #3. My buddy hit an 8 iron 167 yards to a middle of the green pin location. Slight draw, wind push it back right on the flag. Ball hit 4ft behind the pin, bounced around a bit and dropped into the hole.

We looked like a couple of jackasses celebrating, but we didn't care, really fun experience.
Icecream_Ag
S
only one I've had was hole 8 on the par 3 course at the muni in Carlsbad NM. (pre renovations for those that know the course)

PW from 100 out. Landed on the front left of the green and bounced right a couple times towards the river, then dropped in the hole.
07fta07
AG
Wife had one Saturday. 83 yards w a 52 degree. Hit just past and left of hole and spun right back in. Pretty solid bar tab after.
ElCheAg
AG
Had two at Memorial Park; both being on the #2 hole. PW & 9 iron.

Had one at Redstone tournament course; #16 hole. 6 iron.

The one at Redstone was by far the most impressive one, with their Sunday pin placement.
Aggie369
AG
I had been playing golf for about 3 months or so and my dad was still helping me line up and work on my swing. We get to #5 at our home course, timmaron, which is a 133 yd par 3. I said "ok, let me line up this one" and he said "ok but remember..." and I cut him off with a "I got it dad...I got it". The pin was back middle and right of center. I hit an 8 iron with a draw (left handed) that hit and rolled right back to the cup. It stopped rolling but we could still see it. I said is shot? Dad responded "I think it's long"

We grabbed our bags and headed to the green (we always walked) we walked down off the tee box and started back up the hill to the green. As we crest the hill you can see tell ball but it looks pretty dang close to the hole. As we get closer you can see the ball is in the hole but the pin isn't placed in the hole correctly and is holding the ball against the inside lip of the hole.

I smile and turn to dad and he says "it's not official until we take the pin out and the ball comes to rest"

He took the pin andown raised it out of the cup and the ball dropped in! We finished our round and as we were heading to the car a family friend asked "hey, how'd you play" I responded "I played ok but aced #5"

Good day...one of my favorite memories. Dad was my golfing buddy and we lost him last year as he battled cancer. Golf is my outlet and a great way to feel connected with him
tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

I had been playing golf for about 3 months or so and my dad was still helping me line up and work on my swing. We get to #5 at our home course, timmaron, which is a 133 yd par 3. I said "ok, let me line up this one" and he said "ok but remember..." and I cut him off with a "I got it dad...I got it". The pin was back middle and right of center. I hit an 8 iron with a draw (left handed) that hit and rolled right back to the cup. It stopped rolling but we could still see it. I said is shot? Dad responded "I think it's long"

We grabbed our bags and headed to the green (we always walked) we walked down off the tee box and started back up the hill to the green. As we crest the hill you can see tell ball but it looks pretty dang close to the hole. As we get closer you can see the ball is in the hole but the pin isn't placed in the hole correctly and is holding the ball against the inside lip of the hole.

I smile and turn to dad and he says "it's not official until we take the pin out and the ball comes to rest"

He took the pin andown raised it out of the cup and the ball dropped in! We finished our round and as we were heading to the car a family friend asked "hey, how'd you play" I responded "I played ok but aced #5"

Good day...one of my favorite memories. Dad was my golfing buddy and we lost him last year as he battled cancer. Golf is my outlet and a great way to feel connected with him

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing
Aggie1391
I'm still waiting on mine, but I've come close many times and been a revolution short three times now. Two of those were at the same hole, 15 at Greatwood. I played that course two Saturdays in a row, the pin was in the same spot both times, and my 9 iron was a revolution short each time.
LHIOB
AG
Aggie369 said:

Tell them about your other one
Aggie369
AG
Hah!
Dad had a habit of always being right about everything so in typical Dad fashion he got back at me after not letting him help me on my previous hole in one.

We were practicing one afternoon and decided to go play 1,2, and 3 (a par 5, par 4, and short par 3) we get to 3 tee box and dad asked "what are u going hit" I said I'm between clubs but I think it's a hard PW. He says, hit the choke 9. I of course hit the hard pitching wedge....and end up 15 feet short

He tosses me a ball...."hit the choke 9"

I made it

He just gives me the 'told ya" look and says nice shot...walks off the tee box

I was with him for one of his hole in ones....he called me on another and when I said "hello" he just said "now you're down 11".....that guy could play some golf. I think he ended up with 12 or 13 hole in ones. Most competitive person I've met...miss him everyday
Asitwere
AG
Hole #8 Sherrill Park in Richardson, TX. (The old layout) I was 8 years old and hit a Northwestern 2 Wood (the actual wooden kind) ~160 yard line drive ball that eventually rolled up over a the front edge of the green with a hidden pin. I looked for my ball a while then decided to look in the hole. What I remember most was getting some cool gifts from Titleist and Northwestern in the mail afterwards.

tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

Hah!
Dad had a habit of always being right about everything so in typical Dad fashion he got back at me after not letting him help me on my previous hole in one.

We were practicing one afternoon and decided to go play 1,2, and 3 (a par 5, par 4, and short par 3) we get to 3 tee box and dad asked "what are u going hit" I said I'm between clubs but I think it's a hard PW. He says, hit the choke 9. I of course hit the hard pitching wedge....and end up 15 feet short

He tosses me a ball...."hit the choke 9"

I made it

He just gives me the 'told ya" look and says nice shot...walks off the tee box

I was with him for one of his hole in ones....he called me on another and when I said "hello" he just said "now you're down 11".....that guy could play some golf. I think he ended up with 12 or 13 hole in ones. Most competitive person I've met...miss him everyday

Incredible. My dad was the same way (always right) hunting was our thing. Every time I go out into the brush I feel this strange calmness and know that he's with me. Just wish he was still around now that I've picked up golf
tandy miller
AG
Aggie1391 said:

I'm still waiting on mine, but I've come close many times and been a revolution short three times now. Two of those were at the same hole, 15 at Greatwood. I played that course two Saturdays in a row, the pin was in the same spot both times, and my 9 iron was a revolution short each time.

Do you play greatwood often? I live in that area and am always looking for someone to play with
DuckDown2013
AG
I have had over 20 hole in ones- no lie. But, they were all in putt putt or Tiger Woods PGA Tour on X box.

HOWEVER, I was sitting in row 1 on hole 16 on Sunday at the Masters last year and saw 3 hole in one's in about a 2 hour time frame. Pretty awesome to say the least.

the last one was especially amazing.

3 Sunday Hole in One's
Aggie1391
I used to, but I moved out of the city recently unfortunately
Fredd
AG
My buddy brought a guy out to play Pecan Lakes with us while we were in school. I knew we were in for a long day when he spent $5 on a lost and found 5 iron from the pro shop. We get to 16, 170 yards, and he says "I'll try out my new club". Best looking shot he hit all day and he drains it.

He shot 121 that day.
agsalaska
AG
Somewhere out there he is telling that same story but claiming he shot a 92
AG 86 BC
AG
#4 at Walden on Lake Conroe last year. 154 yard 6 iron. Watched it hit the green and knew it was on line. Buddy said good shot, it is all over it, it could go in... All the things you hear often, but this time it really did. Just rolled to the cup and fell in. We could all see it happen from the tee box. Pretty special feeling. Looks good on the scorecard too!
Aggie369
AG
This is my best friend's hole in one story from high school:

#17 at Timarron...he's playing with his parents late one afternoon. Gets to #17 and his mom says, "steak dinner for anyone who makes a hole in one"

My buddy says, "steak dinner? How about an ipad?"

He hits and his ball is drawing right towards the cup....he looks over at his parents and says "the apple store is still open" before his ball huts,the green. He drains it....they drove to the Apple store after 18
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.