Golf Course living in Katy/Sugarland area

1,816 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tandy miller
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you guys live in a golf community in this area? If so, which ones. Pros and cons would be appreciated. TIA.

ElCheAg
AG
Public

Meadowbrook Farms

Cinco Ranch

Greatwood

Quail Valley

River Ridge

I'll let others post about pros and cons
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I'd prefer private if it fits my budget.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Sugar Creek, Pecan Grove, Sweetwater
Mr.Bond
AG
Club Corp has Falcon point in Katy. Nice course, extremely tight and challenging
Just an Ag
AG
Willow Fork CC. No Frills, priced right, with a laid back family atmosphere. 7,000 yards from the back tees with very good good tif greens (ultradwarf?), but the rest of the course is comparable to a good muni. When mother nature provides a good rainy season the course looks good, but if not, it suffers.
tandy miller
AG
Greatwood is constantly packed and gets too much traffic imo. Ive seen 3 groups on a par 5 at once. Played there last weekend, greens were full of ball marks like it had been hailed on.

Have also played sienna plantation a good bit recently. (Missouri City). It is in fantastic shape, and green fees arent too bad. More of a links style course
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Club Corp has Falcon point in Katy. Nice course, extremely tight and challenging

Read an article this week that Club Corp is selling.
Mr.Bond
AG
Selling that course or all together?
Oso96
AG
It looks like it is trying to sell itself. Not sure what that means to members.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-clubcorp-m-a-idUSKBN14W2ES
Pahdz
Mr.Bond said:

Not too mention ball eating pampas bushes. Worked at FP one summer back in 99, love that course.
1208HawkTree
AG
We lived in Greatwood for 4 years before moving to Seven Meadows (Meadowbrook Farms). We loved Greatwood but I grew tired of the course and its declining upkeep and other cost cutting BS. I now live 60 seconds from the clubhouse at Meadowbrook and have played it a lot. We joined Falcon Point in September and have enjoyed it so far. Now that I have somewhat learned the course by playing it repeatedly, I like it more now than I did initially. The neighborhood itself immediately surrounding the club is aging some, but still pretty nice. There are a lot of newer neighborhoods close enough that unless you want to drive a cart from the house to the club, it's not that big of a deal. I live about 10-15 minutes away and while I'd probably use the other facilities (workout, pool, etc) more if I lived right by the club, it doesn't prevent us from going up there once or twice a week.

It depends on what you want, really.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
1208HawkTree said:

We lived in Greatwood for 4 years before moving to Seven Meadows (Meadowbrook Farms). We loved Greatwood but I grew tired of the course and its declining upkeep and other cost cutting BS. I now live 60 seconds from the clubhouse at Meadowbrook and have played it a lot. We joined Falcon Point in September and have enjoyed it so far. Now that I have somewhat learned the course by playing it repeatedly, I like it more now than I did initially. The neighborhood itself immediately surrounding the club is aging some, but still pretty nice. There are a lot of newer neighborhoods close enough that unless you want to drive a cart from the house to the club, it's not that big of a deal. I live about 10-15 minutes away and while I'd probably use the other facilities (workout, pool, etc) more if I lived right by the club, it doesn't prevent us from going up there once or twice a week.

It depends on what you want, really.
Thank you. This is the type of feedback I was looking for.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Thoughts on Sienna Plantation?
1208HawkTree
AG
Never been a fan of the course, to be honest. A few too many goofy holes for me. Had a friend who lived there for a couple of years that Joined the golf club pretty much sight unseen when they bought their house, and dropped it a month later. That said, it's probably been 10 years since I played there, but it was always in terrible shape. Keep reading on here how that has apparently changed now. They never seemed to be able to keep the greens alive back when I was playing there off and on.

Nice neighborhood if you can get past the railroad cutting through the middle.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
1208HawkTree said:

I notice the railroad while looking at some properties. Kind of a turnoff.
1208HawkTree
AG
Before we bought in Greatwood, we looked in SP. Every time we found a house we liked, the damned tracks were too close. This was in 2003-2004, and they have built it out a lot since then. You could probably find something toward the back where it wouldn't be a problem. That's what my buddy did. I believe they lived close to the 17th hole.
tandy miller
AG
1208HawkTree said:

Never been a fan of the course, to be honest. A few too many goofy holes for me. Had a friend who lived there for a couple of years that Joined the golf club pretty much sight unseen when they bought their house, and dropped it a month later. That said, it's probably been 10 years since I played there, but it was always in terrible shape. Keep reading on here how that has apparently changed now. They never seemed to be able to keep the greens alive back when I was playing there off and on.

Sienna's greens are in fantastic shape... ive only been playing there a few months due to their golf now rates being good... was playing greatwood before. Here is a pic of #16 green on MLK day

BAS for life
SP and Greatwood are not really Katy area but SP is 10x better than greatwood. Better conditions, better layout IMO and MUCH better pace of play.
tandy miller
AG
BAS for life said:

SP and Greatwood are not really Katy area but SP is 10x better than greatwood. Better conditions, better layout IMO and MUCH better pace of play.
THIS X1000... Greatwood's pace of play is deplorable. Ive played a 5 hour round by myself. (I shot a 91). Trying to play through is a waste of time, as you will just run right up on another group. Greatwood can be decent i you are the first one out though

Only negative about SP is it can be tricky navigating between holes if youve never played it, as there arent a whole lot of signs and some driving through neighborhoods. After 1-2 rounds it becomes a non issue. Also, the staff at SP has been nicer in my experience than that at greatwood
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.