Best place to buy custom clubs

1,251 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
so I got fitted yesterday at PGA SS but club prices there seemed excessive. What's the best route to go in regards to ordering clubs with custom specs?..... I was fitted for ap1's, but I'm not ruling out a couple others if they can be had for significantly less
DannyDuberstein
AG
Manufacturers are vigilant about keeping their new club prices consistent across retailers/distributors. They force them to sell at MSRP, and if they get caught deviating, the manufacturer will pull their business. Titleist has pulled completely out of PGA SS for 6+ months before for selling pro V1's below the required price.

If you're looking for a deal, my recommendation would be to buy used. depending on the iron, specs can be adjusted to meet your fit (like lie angle). With a wide enough net and a little patience, you can likely find a match or something very close.

The other strategy that works is wait until the newer models get issued, as the previous then het discounted. That strategy works better for TM, Ping, and Callaway - not so great for Titleists
AustinCountyAg
I was fooling around on globalgolf and seemed like I could get ap1's 5-gw for like$780ish? That about as good as it gets for buying new, or if I were to go to a demo day somewhere could they be had for cheaper?

Just seems like I've read that they give you "deals" at demo days?
jj9000
AG
New = Discount Dan's

Used = Quite a few options.
jja79
AG
If the manufacturer sells the retailer the product for $500 why would they care if they sell it for $519 or $899?

The mark up on golf clubs is ridiculous.
C ROC N
Build a relationship with your local club pro and/or local retail store (not the big name stores). I have had them mark down clubs that had a scratch/blemish if you know what I mean.
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

New = Discount Dan's

Came here to say discount Dan's. Only place to find clubs below msrp
Matsui
AG
Retailers don't necessiarly buy the clubs at a firm price. That is how the manu can try to set the prices.
DannyDuberstein
AG
jja79 said:

If the manufacturer sells the retailer the product for $500 why would they care if they sell it for $519 or $899?

The mark up on golf clubs is ridiculous.

They do it for a number of reasons. One is to protect brand equity - to keep from becoming viewed as a discount brand. Another is to protect both their profit and and their key customers' profits. There is a sweet spot for both the retailer and the manufacturer of pricing and volume, but if one or two resellers disrupt that with deep discounts, then the manuf's key customers may decide to give their shelf space away to another brand. These large, key customers/retailers are providing both wide distribution that drives volume and national advertising that raises the brand's profile. You want to keep them profitable and happy, and they aren't either if you allow other smaller customers and other competitors to undercut them.
jja79
AG
Maybe that's part of why golf participation is declining. Price of equipment is artificially high.

I buy through a private club to which I belong. I assume manufacturers aren't worried about their pricing since it's only available with the additional cost of membership.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This occurs with a lot more products than golf equipment. It's pervasive throughout electronics, home frunishings, toys, sporting goods, and all sorts of other goods. The markup may be high, but golf equipment is never going to be a high volume business, so those individual margins are needed to overcome the fixed costs of these businesses.
AustinCountyAg
jj9000 said:

New = Discount Dan's

ended up ordering my AP1's through DD. The price they gave me coupled with a promotion going on saved my over $150 from ordering through global golf, and probably close to $300 if I were to buy them at a Golf Galaxy.

Not sure how they did it, but I am grateful. Hopefully I enjoy them as much as I am hoping I will
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.