What is being fitted for golf clubs?

1,184 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
ClassOf17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What does it mean to be "fitted" for golf clubs and does it make that much of a difference instead of using the standards sets?
Mr.Bond
AG
Makes a gigantic difference. Like buying a suit off the rack or getting it custom tailored. Youll be fit for lie angle, length, shaft, shaft stiffness, forgivng/workable Club etc. You should always be fitted. Especially when you invest that kind of money into clubs
ClassOf17
Mr.Bond said:

Makes a gigantic difference. Like buying a suit off the rack or getting it custom tailored. Youll be fit for lie angle, length, shaft, shaft stiffness, forgivng/workable Club etc. You should always be fitted. Especially when you invest that kind of money into clubs

I'm about a fifteen handicap and have been using the same clubs since I started about two years ago (Nike Machspeed).

Would it be beneficial to the average player like myself, or just more of scratch players?

Also, can I get fitted for any clubs I want, or do they make you try different brands? I currently want some new Titleists.
birdman
It will especially help a 15 handicapper. Any brand of clubs can be fitted. Just getting your lie angle right will help a bunch. That will cost about $3 per club.
Aggie369
AG
Don't go into wanting titleist irons...go into wanting to get the best irons for you and your swing
Mr.Bond
AG
You can get fitted for whatever you want. Most places do a free fitting with purchase. It will definitely help you as a 15 handicap
AustinCountyAg
So I got fitted today and they said I need 1/2 longer shaft bent 2 degrees upright....after hitting a few different heads the AP1 were the best for me..... so how do I go about now getting those with my specs for the best price???
DannyDuberstein
AG
At a minimum, it's important to make sure they are (1) the right length, (2) the right lie angle, and (3) that the shaft stiffness are in the right ballpark for your swing speed (stiff vs regular vs senior vs extra stiff).

Length is self explanatory. Lie angle is how the toe is angled vs the heel (flatter vs more upright). If your clubs are too flat for you, the toe will dig in further than the heel amd you'll tend to push/slice the ball. If they are too upright, the heel will temd to dig in which causes a tendency to pull/hook it. You want that sole to be level with the ground when your swing is coming through the ball.

Then getting the shafts a proper flex for your swing speed essentially just helps make sure the club and shaft are doing the right amount of work for you. Too stiff or too flexible each cAuse their own form of ball flight issues.

Now fittings can get much more scientific than this, but these 3 areas are basics that everyone should get correct.
ClassOf17
Thanks guys. So I would love to buy some and have the place fit me for them there while buying..

Does anywhere do this? I'm in Waco..
Mr.Bond
AG
Check around for a Edwin Watts (not sure if still open) golf galaxy, nice course with a good pga pro etc
Dr T and the Women
AG
It sounds like lie angle is one of the biggest things. Can you get that checked on a set you own easily and have it bent?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You can definitely check it easily and quickly with an impact board and some impact tape applied to the bottom of the club. Check each one because sometimes there is a difference in how much you need as you progress from long to short. Whether they can be bent and how much depends on the iron. Obviously, I would recommend determining that before you buy - ideally you buy the right angle from the beginning.

It makes a big difference, so it's important to get right. Each degree it's off is usually worth a good 3-4 yards off target. So being 2-3 degrees off on lie angle is huge. It also helps with just getting a clean strike.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.