Anyone planning a golf weekend for UCLA game

2,594 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
DouglasPearce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been thinking about doing this, just curious on thoughts and places to play. Maybe fly out Thursday and play a round or two Friday. I know it's all subjective as some people are wiling to pay more than others.
Would love to hear ideas or plans anyone has made.
mosesrab90
AG
Staying at Pelican Hill for the weekend .. no poors allowed
ElCheAg
AG
I and an Ag friend are. Probably drive to play Torrey Pines and The Crossings at Carlsbad.
White Liberals=The Worst
mosesrab90 said:

Staying at Pelican Hill for the weekend .. no poors allowed
Played it twice just before the A&M/UCLA game last year and it did not disappoint. It's pretty unreal.
claybot
AG
Check out Rustic Canyon. Solid track, and won't break the bank.
voorheesdn
AG
Working on a long weekend starting at PGA West(folks have a home there) then driving up to Riviera closer to game day.
ORAggieFan
If people want help with Torrey LMK. Can book as a resident if you have three or less (I need to play). No booking fee that way.
ColoradoMooseHerd
ElCheAg said:

I and an Ag friend are. Probably drive to play Torrey Pines and The Crossings at Carlsbad.

Too many good options in LA area to drive that far in my opinion.
Mr.Bond
AG
ORAggieFan said:

If people want help with Torrey LMK. Can book as a resident if you have three or less (I need to play). No booking fee that way.

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I get out there again
ElCheAg
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Definitely keep you in mind. Thanks.
ElCheAg
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

ElCheAg said:

Too many good options in LA area to drive that far in my opinion.

I would appreciate any suggestions for public courses.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Trump would be my #1 and then Pelican Hill as mentioned before. Also nice public courses to look at are Brookside right by the Rose Bowl and Harding near Griffth Park.

No way would I even consider Torrey Pines for this trip, way to much windshield time. Come back another time when you are traveling to San Diego to paly Torrey.
ORAggieFan
Well, people could fly into SD then drive up. I'd agree don't fly into LAX then do SD roundtrip.
ElCheAg
AG
Thanks for the feedback.

I believe Trump National is open to the public. I don't know about Pelican Hill.

What about Angeles Golf Club?
ORAggieFan
Pelican is open to public.
White Liberals=The Worst
Pelican Hill is seriously amazing. I felt like I was in golf heaven. Also helped that I played one of the best rounds of my life.
ElCheAg
AG
I have reconsidered. I'll play courses in the L.A. area. The ones I'm hoping for are Pelican Hill, Angeles G.C., and possibly Trump National (or Los Verdes G.C.).

Oh, and I'll join whichever member would like a playing partner at Riviera.
White Liberals=The Worst
ElCheAg said:

I have reconsidered. I'll play courses in the L.A. area. The ones I'm hoping for are Pelican Hill, Angeles G.C., and possibly Trump National (or Los Verdes G.C.).

Sounds awesome. Keep in mind that it's not a quick/short haul from LA to Newport Beach, especially during anything close to rush hour. It's not THAT bad, but I think a lot of people tend to budget 20-30 minutes or so to get from LAX to Pelican Hill area and that's just not too realistic. Just a heads up.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Wycliffe_03 said:

ElCheAg said:

Sounds awesome. Keep in mind that it's not a quick/short haul from LA to Newport Beach, especially during anything close to rush hour. It's not THAT bad, but I think a lot of people tend to budget 20-30 minutes or so to get from LAX to Pelican Hill area and that's just not too realistic. Just a heads up.
Very good point because it is over 50 miles alone and then ou have LA traffic. Always have to pay attention to the time of day and traffic in LA.
White Liberals=The Worst
That Trump course looks pretty sick, how have I never seen it? Will try to work that one in next time we're out there.
Matsui
AG
I live out here. There are 36 holes surrounding the rose bowl itself. You actually park and tailgate on the course. And you can play it the day after as well (might have to hit around a car in the fairway).
Matsui
AG
Safe to assume if the sun is up 30 miles = 1 hour of drive time.
ORAggieFan
Tailgating on the course before a game is outstanding.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Matsui said:

I live out here. There are 36 holes surrounding the rose bowl itself. You actually park and tailgate on the course. And you can play it the day after as well (might have to hit around a car in the fairway).

I believe you are referring to Brookside and I referred to that one above. I would recommend staying as local as possible and avoiding lots of driving unless that is what you want to do.
Mr.Bond
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ElCheAg is going for ucla and wanted to reach out to you
BigHitterDaLama
Tons of options and it depends on where you are staying and what you want to drop on a round.

If I had the choice between Trump and Pelican, I would play Trump just because of the Ocean Views on every hole. Lot closer to downtown LA and Pasadena as well.

Rustic Canyon aint bad for the money but it's not a lush green track like a Pelican/Trump/Aviara. North of downtown in Moorpark

For the money, and not a bad drive from downtown, I like both courses at Industry Hills. Play can be slower but tracks are always in great shape.....nice bar/restaurant there.....filmed the Tom Brady golf episode from Entourage there.

If you are in staying in OC, there's Pelican.....Oak Creek is nice but unless you can find a good deal on line, you will probably feel like you overpaid. They also have the St.Regis at Monarch Beach. Very nice course and will run you less than Pelican. Only ocean views on a few holes but a great course and location. More affordable options in OC are Arroyo Trabuco and in San Clemente, Talega.

San Diego, Aviara is a nice as you will play anywhere and La Costa is there as well with the new updated 18 hole course (36 holes total). I would play Madera over Crossings as it typically lands in top 100 public US courses.

EDIT: if you are staying north of LA and have a car/time, drive to Santa Barbara and play Sandpiper.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.