Dell Match Play in Austin

1,871 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by C ROC N
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When do tickets go on sale and is it worth going to for the day over the Shell or Valero? I heard it was a cluster **** at ACC last year so I was wondering if it is even worth it?
Hbhaught
I didn't think it was a cluster at all. I wouldn't pay for any club passes unless you are with a big group. The players make themselves available. It was a first class event.
Gigem6589
I went last year and thought it was great, parking is limited but there is a shuttle service. Great lineup of players and Its cool watching the match play format in person.
CStewTAMU
AG
Last year, I volunteered on the practice rounds on Wednesday. I worked a half day in the morning and had the afternoon free to go watch the players during practice rounds and on the range. I'm not sure how they meant it was a cluster ****--- to me it seemed run as professionally as any other PGA tour event I've been to.

If you can, I would recommend going during the practice rounds so you'll get to see all the players. I say if you can as I think last year the practice rounds were only open to Dell employees, Austin CC members, volunteers, and certain other VIPs. I would recommend the practice rounds as by the weekend, most of the big names that you would want to see will likely be eliminated . The only drawback of the practice rounds is that you have no schedule or teetimes to go by so you have to walk around to find your favorite player or you will have to be there the entire day as some players like to practice early in the day and others in the afternoon.
Squatch
AG
i think the practice rounds were on tuesday. i went thursday, saturday and sunday last year. thursday was by far the better day for me. way less crowded. i followed multiple groups on both front and back 9 and at times, i was probably one of ten people with a group. with the field cut for the weekend and bigger crowds it was much harder to get up close to the action. if you're looking to get hammered in a tent, weekend is fine. if you are a big golf fan and want to watch golf, go on the weekday. don't even bother on sunday......most of the field is gone and its super crowded.
Squatch
AG
forgot to mention......if you get there early on a weekday, the range and short game area is full of players and practically no fans. you're surprisingly close to the players on the range.
FincAggie06
AG
I went on Thursday last year and it was an awesome experience. I was able to follow multiple groups since the crowds were minimal. Definitely going again this year.
AustinCountyAg
When do tickets go on sale?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Haven't been to this tournament, but i've attended a bunch of other PGA events, and in general, my preference has been:
- go on Thursday
- get there decently early and watch them hit range balls for a bit
- go find a reachable par 5 where the next tee hopefully is nearby. Between watching a variety of approach shots, scrambling, and being able to see the next drive if I want to, it keeps things interesting for a while without walking the whole time
- after i get bored with the spot, I'll pick a good group to follow and will tag along once they come thru
-end the day drinking beer somewhere
The Lost
DannyDuberstein said:

Haven't been to this tournament, but i've attended a bunch of other PGA events, and in general, my preference has been:
- go on Thursday
- get there decently early and watch them hit range balls for a bit
- go find a reachable par 5 where the next tee hopefully is nearby. Between watching a variety of approach shots, scrambling, and being able to see the next drive if I want to, it keeps things interesting for a while without walking the whole time
- after i get bored with the spot, I'll pick a good group to follow and will tag along once they come thru
-end the day drinking beer somewhere

Yeah, my group usually likes to walk the course with an early group during the week and while doing so search for a great place to sit and view multiple shots or a cool hole that isn't too trafficked so after lunch we'd just sit their a drink and hang out. Then we'd use the spot again on the weekend during the crowds.

Also the further you get away from the entry point the less people that will be around. We hung out at hole 13 at the PGA at Whistling Straits with few people around. It was amazing. I'd tell you our colonial spot, but then I'd have to kill you .
C ROC N
Looking for Thursday/Friday tickets to the Dell Match Play in Austin for my son and I. Anything would be aprreciated!!
David_Puddy
AG
I went last year as well. I thought it was a great experience and not overly crowded (I believe they limit the # of tickets and it is quite lower compared to other tour events). Having been to the Shell many times, I thought it was a lot more fun and wasn't nearly as spread out so it was easier walking to different holes without missing much action. Another added bonus was that there wasn't the phone nazis there like at the Shell.
Prior22
AG
Thought I saw tickets were sold out and there was a waiting list.
C ROC N
Hoping somebody gets a few tickets from work that can't go. I would be interested in them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.