Callaway Epic Driver

4,552 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiedad55
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The new driver Rory is playing is reportedly longest yet. Apparently adds 2.5-4mph of ball speed with its rods/crown technology.

At impact the face goes in and the crown goes up...the face has to return and the crown has to go back down....because energy is expanded vertically it is waisted... Apparently there are rods behind the face that help with energy distribution.

3 different models coming out

Tour guys just got them the last few weeks...one of the biggest driver improvements in a while design wise it sounds like

LHIOB
AG
About 3 months after it comes out I'll grab one from Lou's
khaos288
AG
LHIOB said:

About 3 months after it comes out I'll grab one from Lou's

Not if I get it first!
Aggie369
AG
I'll wait 18 months for a left handed one to pop up
ORAggieFan
Some rumors of a $1000 price point?
LHIOB
AG
It it performs similar to the TM M2 then its worth it!
Aggie369
AG
That's a bit ridiculous lol

This is the first time in a long the actual engineering of a club head is new.

Manufacturers have been trying to find a way to redirect vertical energy for a long time. Cobra had those impressions in their drivers that tried to help it but did work....Cleveland had the carbon fiber crown. If this actually works it will be a big time design/patent win for Callaway.

You are supposed to get 2-3 yards of distance gained per MPH of ball speed....so theoretically this driver COULD give you 12 yards....all pretty early though. We will see if it's a winner or not. The guys playing Callaway in hawaii got it delivered a week or two ago I think
Mr.Bond
AG
LHIOB said:

About 3 months after it comes out I'll grab one from JJ9000

FIFY
Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

LHIOB said:

FIFY
I'm sure he can find one in a fighting Irish color scheme for you.
jj9000
AG
Mr.Bond said:

LHIOB said:

FIFY

Nope. No Callaway clubs for me.

I have an irrational dislike for all things Callaway.

Same thing with Nike clubs.
jj9000
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

LHIOB said:

FIFY
I'm sure he can find one in a fighting Irish color scheme for you.

Already have!!

Icecream_Ag
S
jj9000 said:

Mr.Bond said:

LHIOB said:

FIFY

Nope. No Callaway clubs for me.

I have an irrational dislike for all things Callaway.

Same thing with Nike clubs.
same issue with Taylor made. Know they make a quality club, just won't buy one
Brick Tamland
I'm the same as jj about Nike

I have only TaylorMade clubs because they always have things available for lefties. Plus they have super discounted clubs so a beginner like me can have nice clubs for cheap.
JR Ewingford
499 price. A few people I know have hit it. They were impressed. I expect the M1/M2 and Epic to be the best drivers of 2017.
Aggie369
AG
Ok, this sounds better on price
Matsui
AG
http://www.golfwrx.com/420780/callaway-epic-and-epic-sub-zero-fairway-woods-what-you-need-to-know/

http://www.golfwrx.com/420618/review-callaway-gbb-epic-and-epic-sub-zero-drivers/

proudaggie02
AG
EwingBarnes said:

499 price. A few people I know have hit it. They were impressed. I expect the M1/M2 and Epic to be the best drivers of 2017.

Works for me. A buddy of mine is a total golf/equipment fanatic.... dropped 50k to join Golf Club of CO, got tired of it within 6 months & then also joined Bear Creek (all-men's club where Stadlers play), also plays men's club at another course, and spends probably close to 10k per year on equipment. Anyways, he told me the M2 was 10-15 yards longer than any club he's hit; he put it up against a few of his gamers.

I told myself I wasn't getting another TM driver next time (been playing an RBZ2 on Matrix RUL for 2.5 years), but I'll get one if I find it to be that good of a driver.

Also, a good buddy's brother works at Callaway in San Diego/Carlsbad, and he can get me anything Callaway for about 50-60% off.
Quinn
AG

Interesting review of the club. Guys that tested it gained about 5 yards.
ORAggieFan
Seriously considering setting up a fitting appointment up at the Callaway HQ in Carlsbad for the day it comes out (or closest possible).
Hamburger Dan
In august they will unveil another "greatest, longest driver of all time.
BigHitterDaLama
Hamburger Dan said:

They already have:

Aggie369
AG
Maybe....but this driver is a pretty big advancement in Driver technology. I normally only buy a new driver ever 5-7 years because most of the time technology isn't much different. Normally just moving weight around. These rods move energy around as a way to bypass USGA rules on face thickness. Obviously I'll hit it first compared to mine but 2.5 MPH increase of ball speed could be impactful....some pros are getting close to 4mph
Mr.Bond
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Hamburger Dan said:

They already have:

Boooooooooooooooooooooom
Pahdz
Talked to my best friend here in OKC who is a club pro on Callaway staff and he said that according to his inside rep with Callaway, the pre-sale numbers for the Epic are triple their previous biggest pre-sale, which was last year's Big Bertha.

With Rory on staff now, 2017 should be a huge year for Callaway.
TUhatr
AG
Ive hit this thing in both the sub zero and the standard at the PGA store recently and its nice but not earth shattering. Mis hits seemed better with it but its not gonna change your life like they seem to think it will. I really liked the fairways though...definetly give those a try. I didnt like the glossy finish of the driver with the carbon fiber look, kinda looks a bit cheesy to me, but I guess compared to the M1 its pretty muted.
BigHitterDaLama
TUhatr said:

Ive hit this thing in both the sub zero and the standard at the PGA store recently and its nice but not earth shattering. Mis hits seemed better with it but its not gonna change your life like they seem to think it will. I really liked the fairways though...definetly give those a try. I didnt like the glossy finish of the driver with the carbon fiber look, kinda looks a bit cheesy to me, but I guess compared to the M1 its pretty muted.
Think that pretty much describes every driver that comes out, regardless of the brand.

Great swings take care of most of the problems.
CTGilley
AG
I just want my Diablo Octane back! I could smash that thing long and straight until it blew up. I would buy another but they cost more now than I paid originally.
stick93
AG
CTGilley said:

I just want my Diablo Octane back! I could smash that thing long and straight until it blew up. I would buy another but they cost more now than I paid originally.

Callaway preowned has a regular and a pro for $65. Average condition though.
jgh85Ag
AG
I went and hit the Epic on Saturday at Edwin Watts in San Antonio. Marginally better than what I hit with any other driver. I was really hoping though! They did say I can put the charge on my card and take a demo out to the range.
BigHitterDaLama
I switched over to the M2 last summer and I will say this.....when I am not swinging lazy and hit up on the ball with it, I am considerably longer than with the Titleist 910 and 913s which i played with.
Mr.Bond
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

I switched over to the M2 last summer and I will say this.....when I am not swinging lazy and hit up on the ball with it, I am considerably longer than with the Titleist 910 and 913s which i played with.

Rory says youre supposed to hit up on the ball.
BigHitterDaLama
Mr.Bond said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

Rory says youre supposed to hit up on the ball.
I just read about this twitter beef between him and Chamblee.....SMH.
Mr.Bond
AG
I don't care for either personally. But Chamblee is a giant ass
BigHitterDaLama
Mr.Bond said:

I don't care for either personally. But Chamblee is a giant ass
Used to not mind Chamblee that much but its like they told him one day to be a giant ***** anytime he can. I really like David Duval and when Chamblee got into it with him on during Ryder Cup last year.....Chamblee, you never played in the Ryder Cup. You were never World #1. Pipe down.
aggiedad55
AG
Brandal Chamblee is a t-sip giant ass. Can't stand to listen to him. Disses on everybody. He never did anything on tour but acts like he did. Typical arrogant sip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.