What would you do?

3,321 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Matsui
Hbhaught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought some AP2 716's off of craigslist that are fake.. I called Titleist and gave them some info, but what do I do with the clubs now? Give them a shot, trash them, or sell them? The clubs and "project x" shafts are still in the wrapper, they are probably fake too.
Mr.Bond
AG
Obvious but unlikely proposition is to get a hold of the seller. But unfortunately you're screwed my friend. Anytime you buy clubs off Craigslist, bring a friend who knows equipment really well or meet at a pro shop and ask them to look at them
14TheRoad
AG
That sucks. Curious to know how you figured out they are fake? Call in the serial number? Does Titleist or other manufacturers have a way to verify serial numbers online or through an app? Seems like they should. I'd call it a loss and wouldn't play them.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd try to get my $$$ back, including filing some sort of criminal complaint of they didn't make it right (this obviously assumes being aboe to locate the seller). Outside of that, I couldn't in good conscience sell them or do anything (including giving them away) that leaves them in circulation for others to eventually be ripped off. I'd probably take them to the range and hit them out of curiosity. Then they probably end up as a "in case of emergency" set for a while.
Hbhaught
I figured it out as soon as I could get home and really look at them. There are cosmetic blemishes, and I was already somewhat skeptical because of the price ($400). I met the guy at night, in the Elgin Walmart parking lot, and his phone is now disconnected. I'm an idiot.
terradactylexpress
Hbhaught said:

I figured it out as soon as I could get home and really look at them. There are cosmetic blemishes, and I was already somewhat skeptical because of the price ($400). I met the guy at night, in the Elgin Walmart parking lot, and his phone is now disconnected. I'm an idiot.

At least you learned a valuable lesson
ElCheAg
AG
Learn from this experience. That's the least you could do.
14TheRoad
AG
For future purchases you can call 1-888-Titleist to verify the serial number.
BigHitterDaLama
You can list them on Craigslist as a new "knock off" set of Titleist irons and ask a lot less money....like $200 bucks or so. They still have some value for folks looking to get a new set of clubs and don't wanna buy a Nicklaus or Strata set from Costco, etc. They are still better than those sets, even if they are fake.

Just my .02
DannyDuberstein
AG
IMO you should only do this if you're willing to somehow permanently and very visibly stamp them as knockoffs. Because otherwise, it's quite likely you are going to sell them for $100 to some azzhole that is going to turn around and sell them for $400 to some new craigslist schmuck. Circle of life of ripoff knockoffs. Either take them out of circulation or very visibly and permanently mark them.
agsalaska
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

You can list them on Craigslist as a new "knock off" set of Titleist irons and ask a lot less money....like $200 bucks or so. They still have some value for folks looking to get a new set of clubs and don't wanna buy a Nicklaus or Strata set from Costco, etc. They are still better than those sets, even if they are fake.

Just my .02
Illegal. You cannot legally sell them.

Throw them in the trash and move on with life.
cevans_40
AG
Pics?
BigHitterDaLama
Figured you could resell them if you stated they were fakes up front. If you cant, then I stand corrected and apologize
BigHitterDaLama
X2 on pics. Wanna see the serial on hosel
Hbhaught
The "Titleist" and "AP2" inserts look cheaply glued, and don't fit perfectly. I could remove them quite easily. Removing the "716" from the hosel would be harder to do. I obviously wouldn't sell them as AP2's, but I do think they still have some value. I'll upload pics tomorrow.
jj9000
AG
Here's a rule of thumb with Titleist irons. If they are 716s, and they have PX shafts, they should have serial numbers on all hosels. DG = Standard...PX = Custom.

Before you throw them in the trash at least take them out to play them.

You might be surprised at the performance.

Try them for a few rounds before you trash them.
aggiedent
AG
A few years back, I believe one of the golf magazines conducted a purchasing test off of sites like ebay and craigslist. Bought x number of clubs and then had the manufacturers tell them if they were legit or fake.

50% were fake.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I saw something similar. I've never purchased clubs off craigslist, and I think my last ebay purchase of a club was close to 15 years ago. I just don't trust any of them, so any on-line purchases are from official retailers of some sort.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ebay used to be REALLY bad. But I will say they've gotten so much better to the point that you can purchase from MOST buyers with the same confidence you can a major retailer
agsalaska
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ebay used to be REALLY bad. But I will say they've gotten so much better to the point that you can purchase from MOST buyers with the same confidence you can a major retailer

Yes. Ebay is much better today. They would have been shut down if they were not.
Hbhaught
http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/5876421337.html

The kid never took the ad down, but he DID change the phone number on the contact info. I texted him last night off of a friends phone, and sure enough, he has more irons! I set up a meeting for tonight, not sure if I will follow through.

Elgin PD was helpful, but said I would probably never get my money back, so i'm not even going in to file a police report.
agsalaska
AG
Beat the **** out of him with the irons and film it. Post here.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This would work too.

Mr.Bond
AG
I'd go and take a buddy. Demand my money back or beat his ass......
03_Aggie
Hbhaught said:

http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/5876421337.html

The kid never took the ad down, but he DID change the phone number on the contact info. I texted him last night off of a friends phone, and sure enough, he has more irons! I set up a meeting for tonight, not sure if I will follow through.

Elgin PD was helpful, but said I would probably never get my money back, so i'm not even going in to file a police report.

Go and see if you can get a license plate number. Once you have it, send a text saying you got caught up at work and won't be able to make it tonight.

Post license plate info on outdoors, automotive and old rivalries board then sit back and watch the fun.
agsalaska
AG
Best idea
raidernarizona
Quote:

I'd go and take a buddy. Demand my money back or beat his ass......

AND THEN once you have your $ back,,

Get a license plate number.

Post license plate info on outdoors, automotive and old rivalries board then sit back and watch the fun.

FIFY!
Matsui
AG
Update
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.