Putting

824 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tandy miller
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am an aspiring golfer trying to get my scores down. I recently bought a putting green to help me practice putting speed and putting straight. Am I on my way to becoming a decent putter when I can hole 10/10 from 5 feet away? I can back up to 7 feet at most. Is learning to knock in most putts from that distance going to help me be decent on the course? As a reference point, I am shooting about 110 right now after only having played 6-7 rounds.
jj9000
AG
Short game vs. Long game debate starts in

tandy miller
AG
Work long game first. It doesnt matter if you 1 putt every hole if it's taking you 6 shots to get it there. I focused very heavily on chipping and putting when I started playing a year ago, and would shoot 110 with 31-34 putts. In the last month I have been really working on my irons and woods. I can't make it to a range every day, so I have been taking at least 100 swings a day at home (checking positions) to help groove my swing. Went and played sunday, shot an 89 with 36 putts.

TL;DR: Long game first.... 1 putts dont matter if your first putt is for double par
aggiefan2002
This is in addition to working long game. I guess what I was really asking was about whether being able to make the majority of 5-7 footers would help get me under 100 or if I was still below averages. Just trying to get norms.
agsalaska
AG
If you make everything under 7 feet you will be just fine.
tandy miller
AG
agsalaska said:

This x 100

Quote:

This is in addition to working long game. I guess what I was really asking was about whether being able to make the majority of 5-7 footers would help get me under 100 or if I was still below averages. Just trying to get norms.
What I also do is keep track of the # of putts per hole/round. Lets you really see how many strokes youre losing on the greens. I initially set a goal for 36 putts/round (2 per hole). I have broken 100 numerous times with 36-ish putts.

However simply counting the number of putts isnt all telling.... I shot a 108 with 31 putts a few months ago
Icecream_Ag
S
tandy miller said:

agsalaska said:

This x 100

Quote:

What I also do is keep track of the # of putts per hole/round. Lets you really see how many strokes youre losing on the greens. I initially set a goal for 36 putts/round (2 per hole). I have broken 100 numerous times with 36-ish putts.

However simply counting the number of putts isnt all telling.... I shot a 108 with 31 putts a few months ago
tracking putts and lost strokes (ob, water, behind a tree, etc) forces you to focus on course management and not just killing the ball. That will shave strokes faster than anything
DannyDuberstein
AG
PGA players make 75% from 5 feet, 65% from 6 feet, and 55% from 7 feet. By 10 feet, that % is only about 35%. Just something to keep in mind when evaluating just how many strokes you may be able to save with your putting - there is a ceiling.
tandy miller
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

tandy miller said:

agsalaska said:

This x 100

Quote:

tracking putts and lost strokes (ob, water, behind a tree, etc) forces you to focus on course management and not just killing the ball. That will shave strokes faster than anything
I track these as well. I generally track my putts, penalties, Fairways hit, and shots to get to green. Shots to green was where I was losing most of my strokes. I was usually getting on the green on the shot that would have been par
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.