Zurich Classic

1,896 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yesterday
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Announced format change. 80 two man teams. A round each of alternate shot and four ball. Then the field will be cut to 35 teams and ties. Then alater nate shot and four ball again. Higher ranked person picks their partner. First two teams announced:

Day and Fowler
Rose and Stenson
Mr.Bond
AG
Ill definitely be checking it out now
agsalaska
AG
Is this the New Orleans Tournament?
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes, lately its been dead air due the post masters lull with relatively poor star turnout. I think this will help change it. Golf proved to be extremely exciting with the ryder cup format. I think a few lesser tournaments need to due this and rejuvenate the sport. I could see the Phoenix Open being the ideal location for this as well, Crazy crowds already
ORAggieFan
Wait, how does the partner picking work?

This is awesome. Wonder how much people will cross USA/Europe line for players that compete for Ryder Cup.

Wish the Olympics had something like this instead.
birdman
That is going to be awesome. Wish the PGA Tour had more stuff like this.

Weather is usually terrible for this tournament.
mavsfan4ever
AG
So the #1 ranked player picks his partner, then the #2 ranked player, etc?

Seems like there will be some uneven teams with that format. But I guess they want the stars playing together, so it kinda makes sense. Would also be fun to see a no name team on top of the leaderboard.
agsalaska
AG
This is going to be sweet.
FTAco07
AG
Do you think more big name players will play or avoid this tournament now?

Outside of the majors this is now the tournament I'm most looking forward to watching. Good for the PGA tour getting creative and trying to make some lesser tier tournaments more fun.
Old Town Ag
AG
I think they should have kegs set up for the players all around the course. This would make it even more badazz.

They should get to ride carts for this one also!
stick93
AG
My only problem with it is that they are awarding too many fedex points for it. Theoretically, the rich will get richer by stacking their team. 400 pts per player will almost put each guy in the playoffs.
Matsui
LeFraud
stick93 said:

My only problem with it is that they are awarding too many fedex points for it. Theoretically, the rich will get richer by stacking their team. 400 pts per player will almost put each guy in the playoffs.

Do you want the Jacksonville Jaguars in the playoffs, or the New England Patriots?
LeFraud
Old Town Ag said:

I think they should have kegs set up for the players all around the course. This would make it even more badazz.

They should get to ride carts for this one also!

Let them wear shorts too!
LHIOB
AG
Make Golf Fun Again
Sazerac
AG
someone explain how this can get down to one/team winner in just 4 days of playing
Matsui
AG
Day and Rose are sponsored by the tournament's title sponsor that is why they were released early. I think it is a unique idea. Something to break up the typical PGA Tour event.
Mr.Bond
AG
cclearman said:

someone explain how this can get down to one/team winner in just 4 days of playing

It's not match play
Sazerac
AG
ahhh, gotcha

i like the idea
ORAggieFan
So, can they pick whoever they want? Seems would be too lopsided.
Mr.Bond
AG
ORAggieFan said:

So, can they pick whoever they want? Seems would be too lopsided.

It's a ratings grab, they're not going to pair day with Ricky Barnes or Speith with bowditch
LeFraud
I think a lot of people would watch a Speith / Bowditch alternate shot!
Mr.Bond
AG
LeFraud said:

I think a lot of people would watch a Speith / Bowditch alternate shot!

It'd be very hard for spieth to hit from the top of trees of bottom of the lakes
LHIOB
AG
Actually Phil/Bowditch would be great. Phil has been getting out of his own messes for 25 years.
HouAggie
AG
stick93 said:

I don't see the problem with a win putting someone in the playoffs. However, 400pts was only good enough for #137 on the list last season and #140 the season before. Still need to earn some points to get in.
Yesterday
AG
Love it! I've been talking about this for years. Of course no one listens to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.