what hybrid(s) are you playing

3,004 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am in the market for a new hybrid and trying to see what others are liking/disliking....right now I game an 09 TM Rescue. as of now I am leaning to Ping g25/30, Cobra Z-Fly, or Adams Tight Lies

I have a Tight Lies fairway wood and like it, so I am thinking I may enjoy the hybrid as well.

tough for me to hit and see what I like since I'm LH. choices are limited at stores
raidernarizona
TM Aeroburner Rescue 3 and 4. Easy to hit. First hybrid I've carried though so nothing to compare to.
K Bo
AG
915h 21* w/ D+ 90, love it
REMARCH11
AG
I have a Ping G25 and I absolutely love it,
It's workable and extremely easy to hit.
Average carry distance is around 210-215
Highly recommend this hybrid, also like the G a lot too, will be next one.
Brick Tamland
I'm looking at buying these
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm still with the Ping G15's and frigging love them. Started with the 2. Loved it. Got the 3. Loved it. Added the 4. Loved it. I was late to the hybrid party because I tried a number of others over the years and just didn't care for them. So I was the guy carrying a 2 iron for a lot longer than others. But once I found the Pings, it was a convincing conversion.
khaos288
AG
4 wood ping G
20 degree Ben Hogan VKTR hybrid
ORAggieFan
raidernarizona said:

TM Aeroburner Rescue 3 and 4. Easy to hit. First hybrid I've carried though so nothing to compare to.

Got these about two months ago and love them.
raidernarizona
I don't think you'll regret it. I like them so much I was looking at adding the 25* 5 as well. Just so easy to hit.

They can be had on globalgolf for $60 mint.
khaos288
AG
raidernarizona said:

I don't think you'll regret it. I like them so much I was looking at adding the 25* 5 as well. Just so easy to hit.

They can be had on globalgolf for $60 mint.

Never use global golf with out getting chrome and the honey extension. It looks up the best coupons. Which ones stack and which combo saves the most money.
powerbelly
AG
Titleist 909H with DG SL300 shaft.
Brick Tamland
NM, I was thinking of the fairway I was looking st. Still looking at adding th 4H. Can't hit my 4i worth *****
07fta07
AG
M1. I was playing a TM Rescue TP and this thing is heads and tails better.
LeFraud
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm still with the Ping G15's and frigging love them. Started with the 2. Loved it. Got the 3. Loved it. Added the 4. Loved it. I was late to the hybrid party because I tried a number of others over the years and just didn't care for them. So I was the guy carrying a 2 iron for a lot longer than others. But once I found the Pings, it was a convincing conversion.

Glad I read this. I still carry a 2iron, but have finally decided to give the ping G30 hybrids a shot, on sale through tgw
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I have a couple of Cleveland Mashies, but I'm not a huge fan of them. The offset is insane and I think gets in my head at address.
Brick Tamland
Has anyone tried the Titleist H2? Or the Ping G?
khaos288
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Has anyone tried the Titleist H2? Or the Ping G?

I got rid of my titleist. It wasn't my favorite for whatever reason. I didn't like the feel. I have a ping G 4 wood that I love
AgsMyDude
AG
Adams tight lies 3h and Callaway edge 4h
C ROC N
All of the hybrids from last year are on clearance at D&J Golf in Bryan. Some prices are so low that I almost bought them just for the shaft that was in them. So give Dallas a call to see what he has left?
C ROC N
I have acquired 2 brand new hybrids: M2 Rescue 4 hybrid stock R shaft $200 retail
and Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid stock Regular stiff shaft $219 retail

Both new in the plastic with headcovers, don't pay tax save money!! Cash only no trades!!

If anyone is interested?
AustinCountyAg
Reading this thread finally convinced me to pull the trigger on an aeroburner from global golf. Got a mint condition club with shipping for 50 bucks after a couple of discounts.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Newbie question: What do people usually use hybrids to replace?
khaos288
AG
chrisfield said:

Newbie question: What do people usually use hybrids to replace?

Long irons. Most people don't carry a 3 iron any more. A lot don't even carry 4, and 5s.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I have a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, and then 4-pw. Recs on starter hybrid for my bag? Not overly confident in any of my woods.
DannyDuberstein
AG
For starters, I'd take a look at replacing that 5 wood with a 3 hybrid.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
3 iron hybrid? Link to well known brands would be much appreciated!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Scan the previous posts. Personally, I carry Ping G15's (2, 3, and 4) and think any of their G series are great. But there are a number of options.
khaos288
AG
Do you have a *****/academy/goldsmith near you? Any of the big brands will suffice when you find something you like.

I carry driver, 4 wood, 4 hybrid then 4-pw, 50, 56, 60
DannyDuberstein
AG
I also recommend buying used to save some money until you make sure you found a brand/style you like.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I'm in bcs
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I've been as anti-hybrid as a golfer can be but I'm thinking of trying a hybrid (or two) to replace my 3 and 4 iron. Truth is, I typically hit the 4 fairly well; but, I'm about an 8 HCP and consistency is everything. Can't suffer any mi****s...

I'm looking for something to travel 205 - 215/220, which would be between my 5 wood and 5 iron. And, no way I'm ditching the 5W. I love hitting that and the 3W and hit them well. Thoughts? Recs?

Edit to add: I still play with X-16 pros; so, I'm still playing on the "old" loft scale (meaning my 9i = a modern PW).
Mr.Bond
AG
I play a cranked up loft 5 wood because I can't hit a hybrid to save my life. Tried carrying a 913 hybrid for 2 years. It's now on clearance at the golfsmith in baybrook
oldschool87
AG
I am a low handicapper, have been for decades... Can't hit a hybrid to save my life.

Put a ping 7 wood in my bag, absolutely stripe it!!! Nice draw every time.

For those that struggle with hybrids, give a 7 wood a try! Titleist , ping. Pretty sweet!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
What's the longest iron you'll typically use from the tee/fairway? What has the 7W replaced and how long do you hit it?
oldschool87
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

What's the longest iron you'll typically use from the tee/fairway? What has the 7W replaced and how long do you hit it?
I carry a 3 iron and try and hit that tiger stinger every once in a while off the tee, and when I do, I get a hell of a roll.... Usually play it on windy days, and/ or really tight fairways, short par 4's.

I use the 7 wood for a 210 to 230 2nd shot into a green. I might be able to hit the 3 iron further, but I am never going to consistently hit a shot high enough to settle on the green. The 7 wood goes very high and can just flop on to the green with minimal or even no roll.

My 4 iron is as low as I will go out of the fairway. 7 wood absolutely replaces my 3 iron and sometimes my 4 iron given certain situations. You can choke down and hit a pretty smooth 200 shot that just falls out of the air.

That would be the biggest thing for me is the height that the 7 wood generates for me. I can hit both clubs the same distance but one falls out of the air and the other scatters across the green into the trap...

The hybrids don't seem to have much feel or workability, left or right. At least that is my take and every golfer is different!

Those are real yardages, not going to "steroid up here" 230 would be a pretty good poke and thats about it. If I am in the fairway I want to here 220 to the pin, and I am a green light with my 7 wood!!

Not that it matters, I still play McGregor Vfoil blades 98... have got rid of them 3 times and have gone back every time. Probably going to AP2's at some point, but man, you pure that 5 iron, and its just like Jack said in 86 when his son said be good on 16 at the masters. "It is", you honestly, dont even have to look.

Ping G20 Driver, Tour, Stiff
Taylor Made 4 Wood Stiff
Ping G25 7 wood Stiff
McGregor V-Foil 3 - PW DG Stiff
Titleist Wedges 56, 60 oil can
Scotty Cam Newport Putter

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.