Tell me about Sterling CC - NW Houston

1,861 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jja79
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our new course at Houston Oaks opens in 3 weeks and Sterling is one of our reciprocals during the construction, but I haven't played it before.

Anyone know the condition or have any other thoughts about it?

Thanks.
aggiecody06
That's tied into Houston National right? If that's case Houston National is in good shape last couple times I played it. Definitely worth money for me
Icecream_Ag
S
sterling is a pretty open course with some elevation change (for Houston anyway)

Its been a couple years since I played it, but IIRC its a got good visual quality for being wide open, but not especially difficult.
stick93
AG
I play the member guest every year with a buddy along with several other rounds. Not the most exciting course around but always in good shape, especially the greens. Just don't go in their powdered sugar bunkers. They are very penal.
boinger89
AG
Every time I've played sterling the wind was blowing at least a 2 clubs
jja79
AG
Played with my 13 year old yesterday and we both enjoyed it. Hit it in the fairway and you're good. I only got in one bunker and it was hard as a rock. Their practice facility is pretty dismal but the condition of the course and especially the greens was really good.
Ag_07
AG
Long ass rounds. Like over 5 hours on weekends.

Had some buddies playing with a member and they walked off 13 after 5.5 hours one Saturday.
jja79
AG
We played in 3 hours 20 minutes Sunday. We're used to playing in under 3 hours but it was fine.

I don't know what golf or membership there costs but it's got to be fairly inexpensive since they really don't have any amenities. For someone looking to play a decent course it's probably a good value.
White Liberals=The Worst
Ag_07 said:

Long ass rounds. Like over 5 hours on weekends.

Had some buddies playing with a member and they walked off 13 after 5.5 hours one Saturday.

5.5 hours to play not even 13 holes? I've never heard of that anywhere. I've never even had a 5.5 hour full round of golf. Was that Hou National or Sterling? That should be inexcusable for any course but especially a private one.

Wife and I have been eyeballing the NW burbs and I've been thinking about this one and Hearthstone.
jja79
AG
Sterling has a golf course. No pool or any other amenities you'd expect at a CC. Hearthstone every day if those are the choices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.