Golf in Oahu?

2,605 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by White Liberals=The Worst
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just booked my trip to go visit my sister this August. Any recommendations on golf in Oahu? I'm not Island hopping so just Oahu recommendations please. Also I'm guessing it's just much more painless to rent clubs there as opposed to bringing my own? Thanks in advance guys
birdman
Ala Wai course is directly behind Waikiki hotel strip. It's probably a 2-3 block walk from most hotels.

It's nothing fancy or super challenging. But it's cheap and a lot of fun. It might have more golfers play there than any course in America. They cater to tourists without clubs.
jonj101
Its been a few years since Ive went, but I played on a few courses - I think the big thing is which area is your sister in versus if you plan on getting a car and getting around to different areas of the island.

Not far from Kaneohe/Kailua there is a course called Royal Hawaiian that I played. It had a cool rainforest type feel to it.

I'll put in Trip Advisor links in case you want to check them out: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60652-d3781005-Reviews-Royal_Hawaiian_Golf_Club-Kailua_Oahu_Hawaii.html

There is another one not far form there that is pretty popular called Ko'olau, but from my understanding it is a pretty difficult course. I may try it when I go back.

If you head to the North Shore area, there are two courses at the Turtle Bay Resort. I didnt play them, but I drove by them and they looked pretty nice. I think they get good reviews.

If you head towards the West side, there is a course I played called Ko'Olina. I think it was Michelle Wei's course growing up and an LPGA event may have been played there. It wasnt far from resorts, and was an enjoyable round:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60982-d526144-Reviews-Ko_Olina_Golf_Club-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

The last one I played was Oahu Country Club. Its private, but they were open to reciprocal rounds when I was there, so it was pretty cool. Great views of the Honolulu skyline from this course. It was an older course, but still very enjoyable: http://www.oahucountryclub.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

Have a great trip - Hawaii is a beautiful place.

Mr.Bond
AG
Thanks so much
Boo Weekley
Ko'Olina is solid. I brought my own clubs and it was way less of a hassle than I thought it would be. I'd like to try Turtle Bay. Kapolei Golf Course was also a very good one and I think we got a decent twilight rate...I enjoyed it more than Ko'Olina, but can't go wrong with either.

Mr.Bond
AG
That course looks amazing. I only reservation to bringing my clubs is that it would cost around $100 to fly them. Where as I can rent a set for roughly $50 I only plan on being able to play one round
mazag08
AG
Ko'olau is awesome. It sits at the base of the mountains. One of the most gorgeous courses I have ever played. They have very reasonable rates.

I tried to play it last year, but they had gotten so much rain they said the course was all waterfalls and unplayable.
Mr.Bond
AG
Wow that's beautiful. If I were looking for a course with more ocean views would there be any recommendations?
kwammer
Ko'Olau and one of the Turtle Bay Courses would be my rec.

Played Ko'Olina many times when we have stayed at the JW there and it is not what I would call "memorable".
wildmen09
AG
Played ko'olau and ko'olina last year, highlights of the trip.

An ag works at the club house at ko'olau
wildmen09
AG
quote:
Wow that's beautiful. If I were looking for a course with more ocean views would there be any recommendations?

IMHO I found the views at ko'olau to be breath taking. Spent a lot of the time taking pics
Mr.Bond
AG
Thanks guys. I may have to play twice now haha
Mr.Bond
AG
Sister is getting me on Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course. I'm pumped, pictures look awesome
Mr.Bond
AG
Alright guys I'm heading back in March. Recommendations? I was really fired up about trying Ko'olau but recent reviews I read say it's in really bad shape. I played Klipper last time and it was awesome, especially for a military course. Is turtle Bay worth it? I'm looking to play 2 rounds
jonj101
The Royal Hawaiian one I mentioned is not far from Koolau, there was also an article a while back entitled "Play this, not that" and they encouraged it over Koolau.
79TAMU79
AG
Ko'Olau has an old Ag named Nick who runs the proshop. Very nice guy who gave me the local rate when I told him that I was class of '79. Paid $28 to play a $150+ course. Take a lot of golf balls.

Played Ko'Olina and like it the best. Not much view of the ocean.

Played Turtle Bay Palmer which was a great course but does not have much of an ocean view.

Dang Marines would not let me on Klipper base without a tee time and a background check. Was disappointed since it is supposed to have the best ocean views.

Played the Navy course by the airport and the Air Force course. Good values but not resort style courses.

Bottom Line: just get on any course and have a great time in Oahu!
White Liberals=The Worst
Kapolei
Ko'Olina
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.