How Much Does Re-Gripping Cost?

9,288 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by CStewTAMU
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought irons that were ~3 years old from a fellow TexAgger, and the irons are working fine, but it's definitely time for a re-grip.

I live in NW Houston (Tomball specifically) and would like to know what to expect for what I think you fine folks would consider a mid-range set of grips. Nothing too fancy, but not the cheapos either.

Where should I go? What should I expect to spend?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Grips will run you anywhere from $3-$10 depending on what you want. Installation is usually $1.
Unemployed
AG
Think Golf Galaxy charges $2/$3 per club + cost of the grips.

Or if you're a penny pincher, doing it yourself is pretty simple. Just need to buy grip tape and solvent.

I did it myself and took me around 1.5 hrs. Most of the time was spent removing the old grips and tape from the clubs.
booradley
AG
do it yourself. learn to fish and you eat for a lifetime...

grips from golfsmith. grip tape frmo golfsmith. ligher fluid from walmart.

will let you experiment on your own with all kinds of grips...
AG-80
I agree with doing it yourself. I usually pick a cold rainy weekend in January when I can't play anyway. There's also a tool you can get to cut off the old grip. I recommend getting one. It makes that part easier. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.
Sooner Born
quote:
grips from golfsmith.

Golfsmith is overpriced. If you shop around you can get your grips for half of what they charge.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
There's also a tool you can get to cut off the old grip. I recommend getting one. It makes that part easier.

I use a hooked razor blade to remove the grip itself, and they sell a tool at golf stores to remove the excess tape and glue.

[This message has been edited by Aggie_Eric98 (edited 10/22/2012 4:39p).]
HouAggie
AG
Hair dryer to heat the grip tape for removal. Makes life much easier.
1208HawkTree
AG
Get a six pack, some 2" double sided tape, grip solvent, a utility knife with a hook blade (necessary for graphite but makes it easier for cutting any grip off), a roll if paper towels, and a hair dryer or heat gun. A bench vise and rubber shaft clamp makes the job easier but it's not required.

I always remove old grips and tape, then apply the double sided tape to every club before putting any grips on. If you have solvent on your hands and it gets on the shaft under your tape, the tape may not stick and the grip will not stay put. I never start using solvent until all of the tape is done. The hard part is over and you can start putting the grips on. A spray bottle for the solvent also speeds things up and is much cleaner. Again, with a bench vise the job is a no-brainier.

Sterling98
This is not the type of job for me and not the type of stuff I enjoy doing with my free time. I did mine at a shop recently and it cost me $2.50 / club for the work plus I think the grips cost me $5.50 each.
oldschool87
AG
I do most myself... but PGA superstore only charges 1 dollar if you buy the grips there!

The tour wrap by far is the best grip out there... when it loses tackiness, just wipe it down with soap and water and your good to go again!
DannyDuberstein
AG
There are posters out here that will tell you they can change their grips with one hand while masturbating with the other, and change all 14 clubs before they blow their load. But personally, this is one of those items that, like having the oil in my truck changed, I'm just fine and dandy with paying someone else to do it even though I know how. I live less than a mile from PGA Superstore, who charges $1 per club and has a 24 hour turnaround guarantee. I've also never had an issue with bad installation there (stretched, etc). Yes, it can be done cheaper by ordering grips online and doing it yourself.
HouAggie
AG
I'm too much of a perfectionist to let those guys grip my clubs. I'd pay if they would do as good a job as I do.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I'm too much of a perfectionist to let those guys grip my clubs. I'd pay if they would do as good a job as I do.
Sooner Born
Danny - I think less of you as a person for not wanting to spend your free time and your money in the same manner I do.
DadAG10
C'mon guys!

We're trying to jump start the golf economy!

Don't always go cheap, it takes money to keep good local courses in great shape!

Pay somebody to do it and buy grips locally!
CStewTAMU
AG
I've regripped clubs for years and never thought about using heat to make the old tape easier to remove. I'll try that next time. That's the worst part of it.

I would never pay anyone to regrip clubs as I want them perfect and usually use a grip that has a ridge on the inside of it. Also, I know inflation is a *****, but DAMN grips have skyrocketed in price by like 400% in the last 15-20 years. I remember when the verge quality grip was $2-3. Now everything is about $6-10 a pop. That's nothing to say if you go with a fancy grip like Winn or something. Winn's are great when new but I found they always wore out much faster.

[This message has been edited by CStewTAMU (edited 10/24/2012 11:44a).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.