What does your average golf pro make for annual compensation?

16,386 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
wsjag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not asking about an exclusive course like a TPC or a PGA level course but your average muni that we mostly play at.

For all the long days and work they have to put up with is it someone in the $50-60K range when you factor in lessons?

They probably do it for love of the game more than anything...
HouAggie
AG
If you're talking about a typical assistant pro, your number is too high by a good amount. There's some money in the golf biz, but not until you're a GM or director of golf, etc.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Low 30's for an assitant pro at your run-of-the-mill course.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
If you like playing golf, don't go into the business.
Prior22
AG
Troutslime nailed it. Have a couple of buddies that decided to go this route and all of them said the game just isn't fun anywhere (Newsflash: That's because it's a job). I know there are plenty of pros out there that love the gig, but I know for a fact that the hours blow, especially when you're starting out. And $30K for being an assistant pro is pretty spot-on.
agsuper1
When they owned the shops they made some serious coin back in the day. There was one pro in town pulling down 500k before his shop was bought out by a management company. Hou is right you have to be a dir if golf or gm and then you can make 60-250k a year. My wife is a gm and makes pretty decent money.

[This message has been edited by Agsuper1 (edited 3/5/2012 8:59p).]
amg405
AG
Brother in law is director of golf at a decent Houston course. I think he's in the 60-70 range.
powerbelly
AG
The key is for the head pro to own the golf shop. That is where the guys make a lot of money. Before that there isn't much.
ILuvAgLand
Don't a lot of them own the carts and pocket the cart fee?
HouAggie
AG
I think owning anything is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not aware of any currently that own any part of the business (at least in Houston area).

Not saying they're not out there.
TUhatr
AG
Exactly...have you guys ever meet a very "nice" assistant pro? Usually they are typical a-hoes...always in a bad mood and look miserable. I never would want to be that guy.
shaynew1
AG
you guys are still overshooting some. unless your guys are hustling a gillion lessons.
powerbelly
AG
I know of a few in Dallas, but I agree that this aspect is changing.

quote:
I think owning anything is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not aware of any currently that own any part of the business (at least in Houston area).
agsuper1
I had operators on my maintenance staff making more than assistants
big ben
AG
I heard through the grapevine that the pro at Sherrill Park makes well into the 6 figures, but he also owns all the carts, etc.
Lloyd Christmas
http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/

Look up your muni's asst pro. You'll know why they're always pissed.

[This message has been edited by Lloyd Christmas (edited 3/16/2012 8:43a).]
aginlakeway
AG
My experience ...

The only people I know who are financially happy working at a golf course are (1) The GM and (2) Those who have other incomes or those who don't really have to work (working for the perks, and having access to a course for free is a huge perk for many).

The rest of them working at a golf course are financially miserable, and their attitudes usually reflect that.

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 9:29a).]
aginlakeway
AG
RE: Low 30's for an assitant pro at your run-of-the-mill course.

Try low 20's.
HouAggie
AG
Kinda goes against this statement you made the other day...
quote:
I would assume that MOST amateur golfers would love to be a no name pro somewhere
aginlakeway
AG
HouAggie,

Wow. I didn't know you read everything I wrote so closely. I'm flattered my words mean so much to you.

I disagree. My 2 statements AREN'T different. Being a golf pro is a dream job for many amateur golfers ... but like many dream jobs, it may not pay very well.

You have to have other financial interests to be financially happy as a club golf pro.

Thanks for paying so close attention to what I post!

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 12:03p).]
HouAggie
AG
No worries. With all the dumb sht you post, I have to keep a spreadsheet to keep up with it all!
aginlakeway
AG
Wow. Good for you! I never even thought about keeping up so closely (even days later) with what a stranger posts on a blog.

Have a great weekend.

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 12:20p).]
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Being a golf pro is a dream job for many amateur golfers

Not really...they dream about actually being on the PGA Tour and playing golf professionally. Nobody dreams about being a golf pro at their local course giving lessons, running operations, and manning the pro shop.

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 3/16/2012 12:41p).]
HouAggie
AG
Will do. Looking like I should get in 36 this weekend.
aginlakeway
AG
18 are on me one weekend in the Austin area.
aginlakeway
AG
RealTalk,

RE: Nobody dreams about being a golf pro at their LOCAL COURSE giving lessons, running operations, and manning the pro shop.

Actually, I know many folks that do want that job, especially if it's at two Nicklaus signature courses in a beautiful part of the state. That's a far cry from a local course.

Regardless, it sure beats working!

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 1:11p).]

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 1:14p).]
Unemployed
AG
You missed my point.

PGA Tour golf professional vs golf pro at Nicklaus designed course in a nice part of the state.

9 out of 10 will pick PGA Tour golf professional.
shaynew1
AG
you want to add a 'capable of making a few cuts' disclaimer in the pga player option?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've always heard that if you love golf, don't go into the golf industry - including club pro. What looks great to you seems like torture to me - having to watch others play and enjoy golf while you answer phones, work as a glorified cashier, assemble 4-somes, help hacks with their awful swings, all while making ****ty money. I'm just fine making several times more money doing somethign else and still finding plenty of time to play golf each week.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/16/2012 4:08p).]
clintaggie04
AG
My dad has been the pro at a pretty nice totally private club for 31 years. Yes, that's right, he has been at the same club for 31 years. Totally unheard of in the golf world. He makes a good living, but he sure isn't rich.
aginlakeway
AG
I don't think how much money you make is the key to happiness, or what makes a job a good job or a bad job. I think doing what you love doing is the key. And if you can pay your bills doing that ...

Me ... I did very well in non-golf businesses for 20 years. So now at age 48, I am able to get out of the real world and am back in the golf business. I love it. I love what I do and where I work and who I get to work with.

So maybe I'm not living the dream of many, or so they say on this board, but I'm financially well off. I'm married to a beautiful woman who also happens to be my best friend, I live in a nice home on the golf course I work at. We have a Mercedes and a golf cart in the garage. We are VERY healthy. And we have season tickets and love Aggie football.

So maybe I'm not living the dream many would have. But I enjoy my life. And it's good enough for me!

RealTalk ... anytime you want to play golf in Austin, let me know ...

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 7:42p).]

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 7:42p).]
obxag
aginlakeway, what course are you at?
The D
AG
quote:
We have a Mercedes and a golf cart in the garage
DannyDuberstein
AG
Oh dear. Serious life validation being sought on this thread. For what its worth, nowhere did I say that money is what makes a good or bad job. Might want to reread my post if thats all you took from it.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/18/2012 4:02p).]
Nom de Plume
AG
DD, all of the pros at my club get to play a bunch. It was the same when I worked at a course in high school. It may not suck as bad as you think.

lakeway, your situation is not typical and not at all what most folks are talking about here.

[This message has been edited by nom de plume (edited 3/18/2012 7:55p).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.