I think t.u. loses four games this year

9,026 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by Mister T-Shirt
LestatBQ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Raging wants to point to Mizzou in Austin last year -- take a look at Baylor last year. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Where is the mizzou game this year? Where is the baylor game this year?

quote:
Poor aggies --- how's your offensive line going to be this year?

Probably alot better then last year...

hows your running game going to be this year with two running backs who only had 40 attempts in 12 games last year (btw, that means between the two of them they only averaged about 3 carries a game)
sodiumacetate
quote:
Until the 'sips go out and lose, I don't think it's very realistic to say that they will lose more than 1 or 2 games. The simple fact of the matter is that they have dominated 4 of the 5 other Big XII South schools over the last few years, yet every year we get predictions that this will be the year that they falter.

Exactly. It wouldn't be texags in the offseason if there weren't any "tu will be a trainwreck this year" posts.
sodiumacetate
quote:
hows your running game going to be this year with two running backs who only had 40 attempts in 12 games last year (btw, that means between the two of them they only averaged about 3 carries a game)

Probably not as good as last year, but still better than 90% of the teams in division 1.
grego
AG
quote:
Does anyone remember the game against Mizzou IN AUSTIN this past year? Now they go on the road into a place where Brad Smith has been VERY successful these past four years...

If they lose to Mizzou, they might not win another game period. Mizzou will be awful this year. Pinkel has ruined Smith and completely lost that team. With Nash leaving early, defenses will completely key on Smith - who already had confidence issues with an NFL caliber RB standing next to him.

Using your argument, the KU - UT game will be a tight one?

I don't realistically see them losing any more than 2, I'd be shocked if they lost 3. No way they drop 4.
INIGO MONTOYA
Look at us -- our offensive line has one more year of seasoning!!!!

Look at you -- you have the same suckage that you had last year!!!!
George Strait
While it is possible that anything can happen on any Saturday, see Baylor for A&M, I just don't think that we lose more than 2. My reasoning is based on the OL and DL. While I will admit that losing both Johnson and Benson hurts, I will be holding my breath on what RB will step up and take the job. The saving grace in all of this is that the OL is good if not great, so theoretically a DECENT RB should be able to step in and rush for 1200-1500 yds.

With VY and WR, they can't possibly be worse so I would expect a little better production that would offset the loss of Benson on the offense.

There are some ?'s on the LB, while I think Aaron Harris is great LB, he is not DJ, but with a solid DL, the defense should be as good as last year.
LestatBQ02
quote:
Probably not as good as last year, but still better than 90% of the teams in division 1.

Interesting...tu had 3326 rushing yards last year, benson accounted for 1834 of those, just about 44% of your rushing offense...tu rushed for 299 yards, on average per game (benson averaged 150+ per game)

are you claiming that young and taylor will be able to rush for 100+ yards every game? tu will have to average over 240 rushing yards per game (guestimate) to stay in the top 10% of the NCAA, you think two unproven running backs can do that?

[This message has been edited by LestatBQ02 (edited 8/4/2005 9:50a).]
LestatBQ02
nm

[This message has been edited by LestatBQ02 (edited 8/4/2005 9:50a).]
Dan Fielding
quote:
OSU is Ohio State you retard.

AWESOME!!!
sodiumacetate
quote:
tu will have to average over 240 rushing yards per game (guestimate) to stay in the top 10% of the NCAA, you think two unproven running backs can do that?

240 yards/game seems reasonable to be in the top 10%. I think Texas, with the running back by committee, will get 170 yards/game combined from S. Young, Taylor, and Charles. Vince will gain another 100-110/game, so I think we will put up 260-280 yards/game total rushing. Why? Because our o-line is that good... plain and simple.
LestatBQ02
It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

I think the Rushing production will drop and vince only averaged about 90 yards per game rushing last year, so you think his production will go up by 10-20 yards per game?

I think tu will end up averaging 210-220 a game simply because you have 2 running backs that arent used to carrying the load...

btw, young only has 46 total attempts in 2 seasons
agtrac
quote:
I think t.u. loses four games this year

While anything is possible, this one is a long shot.

We're much more likely than tu to lose 4 games.
sodiumacetate
quote:
I think tu will end up averaging 210-220 a game simply because you have 2 running backs that arent used to carrying the load...

Well, neither will have to carry the load alone, which was my point. Hodges Mitchell wasn't a very good back, but he still got his 1000 yards when he started... and that was when our o-line wasn't as good. I'm not saying that any particular back will get 1000 this year, because we have three that are talented and that will split the carries. Just because a back doesn't have experience being the main guy doesn't mean he's going to be bad when he gets that chance. Also, when Selvin was healthy, he was taking carries away from Benson, so it's not like he's untalented. I think Vince will get at least 10-20 more yards per game because he doesn't have someone like Benson to carry the ball 30 times a game. Thus, Vince will get more attempts and consequently, more yards.

Since you're so hung up on the experience issue: How many passing yards did BJ Symmons have in his three seasons prior to setting the single season record as a senior?
LestatBQ02
quote:
Since you're so hung up on the experience issue: How many passing yards did BJ Symmons have in his three seasons prior to setting the single season record as a senior?

Being a QB in a passing system offense is much different then being teh starting running back on a team that both throws the ball and runs the ball...apples and oranges...

Im not saying tu won't have a running game, Im sure it will be good, I just don't think it will be as good as last year...

Also, did selvin go down to grades or injury last year?
sodiumacetate
quote:
Being a QB in a passing system offense is much different then being teh starting running back on a team that both throws the ball and runs the ball...apples and oranges...

According to almost every aggie on this site, Texas is one dimentional. Our running system is pretty comparible to Tech's passing system. Consider: Every year since Mack has been at UT, Texas has had a thousand yard rusher. I've already mentioned Mitchell, who was a lot worse than any of our three running backs next year. When your offensive line is as good as ours is, you could run a blind pig and get yards.

BTW, this might be a more appropriate comparison in your mind: How many yards did Terell Davis have in his seasons prior to being the starter in Denver? How about Olandis Gary? Mike Anderson? Clinton Portis? Ruben Droughns? When the system is as good as it is, a downgrade in talent can be overcome.
Nivek
Brandi is talking about welching and disappearing? Interesting from (s)he who talked so much Baseball trash then went into hiding after the Texas won the CWS.
LestatBQ02
quote:
According to almost every aggie on this site, Texas is one dimentional. Our running system is pretty comparible to Tech's passing system

You are using Aggies opinions to validate your claim?

tu passed for almost 2000 yards last season...

tceh rushed for a little over 1000 yards last season...

You think thats comparable?

quote:
Every year since Mack has been at UT, Texas has had a thousand yard rusher. I've already mentioned Mitchell, who was a lot worse than any of our three running backs next year.

Im not argueing you won't have a 1000 yard rusher...What I am saying is that your rushing attack, in my opinion will not be as potent as it was last year...

I dont understand why you think VY will all of a sudden start rushing for 100-120 yards per game...He averaged just under 90 yards rushing per game...

I would bet that one of your running backs will break 1000 and the other will probably have around 3-400 yards...Thats still a decrease from last year...I doubt one of your backs will go for 1800+ yards this year
W.E. Henley
quote:
I dont understand why you think VY will all of a sudden start rushing for 100-120 yards per game...He averaged just under 90 yards rushing per game...

One reason would be that Vince will likely have more rushing attempts this year.

Having said that, I don't expect UT to be nearly as run-oriented as last year. Cedric was a move the chains guy. I have no clear reason to believe that SY or RT will be that type of runner.

I'd expect quite a bit more WR involvement as part of a concerted effort to stretch the field to loosen up the defense. Vince, despite all the knucklehead opinions on this board and elsewhere, throws a nice deep ball.

As far as running back, I expect a bunch of 1-3 yard gains and the occasional 75+ yarder, instead of the consistent 4-6 yards from Cedric.

The TEs will bear more of the burden to move the chains during ball control mode.

I could be wrong if Selvin stays healthy and is as big as reported.

[This message has been edited by W.E. Henley (edited 8/4/2005 3:15p).]
sodiumacetate
quote:

As I said, I think he'll get more attempts this year because he doesn't have Benson taking it 30 times anymore. More attempts usually equals more yards.

quote:
I would bet that one of your running backs will break 1000 and the other will probably have around 3-400 yards...Thats still a decrease from last year...I doubt one of your backs will go for 1800+ yards this year

First, why do you keep implying that we'll only have two backs? Selvin, Romance, and Charles will all get significant playing time. Second, I don't think one rusher will get 1000 yards. I think our leading rusher (other than Vince), I'm guessing it will be Selvin, will end up with around 850 yards. The other two guys will each have about 500-600 yards. I think Vince will get around 1200 rushing yards for the season. You're right in that it will be a drop in production from a year ago, but as I said, we'll still have one of the top 10-12 rushing teams in the country.
sip283
Okay guys I know you aren't big on facts, but prefer delusions and spin.

But here are the facts about Texas under Mack Brown.

KSU 2-2 (1-1 at home and on the road)
KU 3-0 (2-0 on the road)
OSU 7-0 (3-0 on the road)
ATM 6-1 (2-1 on the road)
OU 2-5
TTU 5-2 (2-2 on the road)
CU 3-1 (1-0 on the road; 0-1 neutral)
NU 4-1 (2-0 on the road; 0-1 neutral)
BU 7-0 (3-0 on the road)
ISU 3-0 (1-0 on the road)
MU 3-0 (1-0 on the road)

Road record 18-4 vs. Big 12 teams
Road record last 4 years vs. Big 12 teams 13-1
Avg. 6.4 W 1.7 L vs. Big 12 teams (counting CCG)

If you count OU which is neither home or away he is 13-5 against the Big 12 on the road the last 4 years. Still pretty good. Texas Tech is the only team to have beaten Mack Brown on the road the past four years though.

So let me get this straight we are going to lose @Ohio St., Oklahoma, @Missouri, @Texas A&M, and Texas Tech!? You guys are in for a big let down if you think that Texas is just going to lay down for every team in the BIG 12. The only team that consistently has beaten Texas is Oklahoma. And after that only KSU has at least a .500 record vs. Mack Brown, but they are 0-2 the last 4 years vs. Mack. But everyone going to beat the crap out of us this year right!? You guys must be outside your damned minds!
TAMU1990
AG
I don't think I would want my QB rushing for 1000+ yards - it's a receipe for disaster.

I don't think your OL will be all that against top competition (and I would put A&M's DL in that category). They are good, but they aren't all world.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
quote:
so theoretically a DECENT RB should be able to step in and rush for 1200-1500 yds.
You just changed to a DRIVE blocking scheme. What are you going to do, switch back to zone technique for a finesse back?

You need a power runner (who doesn't fumble). What kind of player do you have? I see nothing.

Also: You changed DCs again and lost your best player. Last year's defense keyed off of the SLB allowing the WLB to roam. This year you also changed the front seven scheme, adding a NT (different technique).
Thethreeyardout
quote:
This year you also changed the front seven scheme, adding a NT (different technique).

what makes you say this?

We don't even know which DL will be enrolled in school right now, nor which position changes will be made in the next 3 weeks.

What he did at Auburn may or may not be a factor with what he does with this group of players....however we are VERY deep at DT, so you may be right.

I could see us playing along the lines of some sort of Monte Kiffen influenced defense with sometimes 3 DTs, one DE and on LB all up - and even more zone blitzing.

Our DL will definately be more aggressive, which will make our LB's more passive- and that would be due to the strength of our defense shifting from our LB back to our DT's....which would just be good coaching.

Kind of like Torbush funneling all of the action toward Appel - the strength of his defense last year.

I don't know, I am interested to see, I just don't think you can say for sure before fall practice starts and some of our pass rushers are yet to be evaluated.

[This message has been edited by Thethreeyardout (edited 8/4/2005 10:31p).]
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Screw 'em, hope they lose them all. Dot the "i" baby, go Buckeyes.

No proven RB, no big threat wide receivers, and an offense centered around a QB that throws like a girl and is forced to run? Might as well put a big red bulls eye on VY this year.

13 0 Branding Iron
AG
"This year you also changed the front seven scheme, adding a NT (different technique)."
quote:
what makes you say this?
What makes me say this?

How about THIS:

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/depthchart.html

Defense

Right (Power) DE 39 Brian Robison | 99 Kaelen Jakes
Tackle 90 Rodrique Wright | 76 Thomas Marshall OR 91 Tully Janszen
Nose Tackle 97 Frank Okam | 95 Derek Lokey OR 92 Larry Dibbles
Left DE 80 Tim Crowder | 98 Brian Orakpo OR 81 Mike Williams

I'D SAY LISTING A NOSE TACKLE ON THE DEPTH CHART IS A FAIRLY CLEAR INDICATION, WOULDN'T YOU?

quote:
What he did at Auburn may or may not be a factor with what he does with this group of players....however we are VERY deep at DT, so you may be right.
OF COURSE I'M RIGHT.

Signed,

DADDY 13-0

13 0 Branding Iron
AG
quote:
Our DL will definately be more aggressive, which will make our LB's more passive- and that would be due to the strength of our defense shifting from our LB back to our DT's....which would just be good coaching.
WRONG. Adding a NT makes your DL LESS agressive, not more. The whole point of that position is to free up lateral space for the LBs.
sodiumacetate
quote:
I don't think I would want my QB rushing for 1000+ yards - it's a receipe for disaster.

Yeah, Nebraska really struggled when their quarterbacks did this.

quote:
I don't think your OL will be all that against top competition (and I would put A&M's DL in that category). They are good, but they aren't all world.

Why do you think this? All 5 are upperclassmen. 4 are returning starters, and the only one who's not is an upgrade. So far, four are projected to be first day draft selections in the next two drafts. They have a combined 90 career starts and have played in a combined 133 games. 2 were 5 stars and 3 were 4 stars coming out of high school. They have one of the best o-line coaches in the country. Both tackles were named pre-season all Big 12 by the media last week. Just curious as to why you don't think they are as good as advertised.
sodiumacetate
Brandi: The depth chart listed a nose tackle last year too.
Thethreeyardout
A spring game depth chart does not indicate any change in defensive scheme.

Our best rush end last spring likely won't make it back into school and none of the new guys have been evaluated yet.

Nobody said that adding a NT would make LB's more passive, I said that mandating that the DL make more plays in the backfield and not just "hold their blocks" allowing the LBs to make plays would.

The only one saying we are implementing an NT this year is you....and that just hasn't been established yet.

Actually, I could see a DL with 3 DT's, one DE and a hybrid LB/DE being implemented pretty easily with the personell available to this new DC, but he has a month to tinker with it and we will see.
SOA 97
I remember a season not so long ago when they lost 66-3 at home as a top ten team and were FAVORED to win that game. Doesn't see so far fetched to me.
AkersN
Texas will have three guys that are more talented than anybody ATM will field at tailback next year... the creme will rise to the top, imo. Texas' running game will look alot different as well. We will rarely use a FB, operating mostly out of the shotgun with either two TE's or spread type set with 3/4 wideouts. Our offense last year was desinged for clock-control and power. On the occasions when Texas passed the ball, Vince had only 2-3 options to throw too. When we drop back to pass this year there will be 4-5 targets to throw to. Vince's late season play and his impressive spring, have alot of Texas fans expecting a passing game that will be more than adequate to supplant any possible loss of offense production suffered due to the absence of Benson
grego
AG
quote:
Texas will have three guys that are more talented than anybody ATM will field at tailback next year...

Oh boy...
LestatBQ02
quote:
Vince had only 2-3 options to throw too. When we drop back to pass this year there will be 4-5 targets to throw to. Vince's late season play and his impressive spring, have alot of Texas fans expecting a passing game that will be more than adequate to supplant any possible loss of offense production suffered due to the absence of Benson

So which one is it...One sip says "look at recent history, we won't lost 4 games because we haven't done it the last few years!"

Then another sip says, "The past doesn't matter, VY will be to work out of a shotgun and hit his recievers...Who cares if he hasn't been able to do this consistently in the past!"

I can understand the point about VY getting more yards due to more carries, makes sense...I just don't see tu having as good an offense as last year, that just IMO and i have been wrong before...I still think tu will win 9-10 games but there are 3 tossups, OSU, OU and the Ags...

Based on the progress the Ags have made the last two years and the fact they were able to compete with tu in Austin has my hopes up for this year

quote:
First, why do you keep implying that we'll only have two backs? Selvin, Romance, and Charles will all get significant playing time.

I was going off of the post-spring game depth chart on the tu website...On there it has only taylor and young listed at tailback

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/depthchart.html
sodiumacetate
That's because Charles is a freshman. And with all due respect, I dissagree about our offense being worse. The only players we lose are Benson, Glynn, and Scaife. The backs that replace Benson won't be as productive, but will still be productive. Scaife won't be missed because Thomas is much better and with the receivers having another year under their belts, we won't have to use as many two tight end sets. Meanwhile, the offensive line is as good as we've had under Mack. Young returns with more confidence than he's ever had. I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong, but I look for us to have a slight downgrade in rushing offense and a moderate upgrade in the passing game.
LestatBQ02
quote:
And with all due respect, I dissagree about our offense being worse. The only players we lose are Benson, Glynn, and Scaife. The backs that replace Benson won't be as productive, but will still be productive. Scaife won't be missed because Thomas is much better and with the receivers having another year under their belts, we won't have to use as many two tight end sets.

I think because of the loss of Benson the offense won't produce as many rushing yards, hence why i don't think they will be as good as last year...

If VY starts passing more then it will be difficult for defenses, however I think many defenses will be able to key in on VY more because there won't be the dual threat of Benson and VY in the backfield

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.