Texas AD already dictating to the SEC

3,622 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 33
Big 12-0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"He also requested the game, which has been played at 11am CT each of the past five seasons, to move to a 2:30pm kickoff "upon entry to the SEC." The rivalry game's future at the 93-year-old stadium "has been a routine topic of speculation" in the past decade or so "after the Cotton Bowl Classic moved away from its namesake for AT&T Stadium."

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2023/02/21/texas-oklahoma-red-river-rivalry-not-leaving-cotton-bowl-stadium.aspx
Flashdiaz
AG
but now the fans can't use the excuse of tailgating for being drunk by 9am.
Texas velvet maestro
this is going to be hard on TT, psychologically. I promise to show compassion.
ABATTBQ11
AG
SEC should move that **** to 8am
McInnis80
ll joking aside, the game will kickoff when ESPN says it will kickoff. The game kicked off at 11:00 when it was on FOX because that was their number 1 slot. The kickoff was at 11:00 when it was on ESPN/ABC because of the Big 10 contract would not allow a full national telecast on ABC at 2:30.

In 2024 that will not be an issue since ESPN will no longer have the Big 10. ESPN did not cough up the extra money to get Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC to have the Texas/OU game kickoff at 11:00. You know that ESPN talked about when selling the deal to the sips and Sooners. The problem is that ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU used to have a lot of B1G games in the 11:00 window. I am afraid that we will be seeing more SEC games in that early window. ESPN is not going to roll over to FOX and let FOX Big Noon go unchallenged. The best way to compete is to go with the best conference.

2024 will be a whole new world.
Potcake
AG
tu AD will find out how SEC dictate soon enough. <Mike Tyson voice>

Edit to add context to joke.
screw-tu
I imagine whorn is already whining about the championship game and tourney being played exclusively outside of Texas. You can almost bet your ass it won't stay that way. SEC is about to find out exactly just what they bought into
Ellis Wyatt
Man, y'all really have killed this board. I think it had more traffic than any other around 2005.
HeyMoe
AG
screw-tu said:

I imagine whorn is already whining about the championship game and tourney being played exclusively outside of Texas. You can almost bet your ass it won't stay that way. SEC is about to find out exactly just what they bought into
Actually, it's the sips who are in for the rude awakening. This will be the first time in their history they'll be in a conference in which they don't have all the clout and muscle.

SIPS --- " We demand (fill in the blank )!"

SEC --- "Yeah....OK....right....we'll get right on that"( rolls eyes )
Seasoned Lifeguard
Tons of Aggies hyperventilating on the football and M&W boards about whorn poisoning and trying to ruin the SEC and being a cancer and ***** It's really weird.
Ellis Wyatt
(FAAAAARRT) Moe, good to see you. Lame post, but I'm glad you're still around.

Are there cobwebs in your head since we haven't been camped out there in a while? Or did we never actually leave your nightmares?
screw-tu
I think the SEC will do whatever espn tells them to do. I wouldn't underestimate them. They will want championship games and tournaments in the state of Texas. And they'll eventually get it. I, for one, will LMAO when it happens. **** Georgia, Alabama, and all the rest. They didn't mind stabbing Texas A&M in the back so they deserve everything they get.
Reno Hightower
^ AMEN!
screw-tu
If whorn sees an advantage in having championship games in Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston, it's what they'll push for. And eventually get. They're not lol poors like Mississippi State. It's just my opinion. But I've seen enough of them over the years to know that the SEC isn't getting a contrite little school who's just happy to be there. It's just who they are.
Texas velvet maestro
we're gonna let bygones be bygones. 2024 is a new day.
HeyMoe
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Are there cobwebs in your head since we haven't been camped out there in a while? Or did we never actually leave your nightmares?
Good to see you too. I thought you were dead.
Ellis Wyatt
HeyMoe said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Your mother certainly knows I am still alive.
WC94
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

HeyMoe said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Your mother certainly knows I am still alive.

Headshot!
Big 12-0 said:

"He also requested the game, which has been played at 11am CT each of the past five seasons, to move to a 2:30pm kickoff "upon entry to the SEC." The rivalry game's future at the 93-year-old stadium "has been a routine topic of speculation" in the past decade or so "after the Cotton Bowl Classic moved away from its namesake for AT&T Stadium."

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2023/02/21/texas-oklahoma-red-river-rivalry-not-leaving-cotton-bowl-stadium.aspx

How does a request become "...dictating...?"

"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.