Patterson hit with a big dose of reality

3,141 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DallasAg 94
Wisconsin_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCU coach Gary Patterson says SEC schools targeting player on his roster with NIL offers (msn.com)

"We planted the trees. Now we have to water 'em," Patterson said. "I hear, 'Well, I don't want to get dirty. It feels dirty. I don't know the rules.' Let me just say, you guys know me, I'm just going to tell the truth the bottom line to it is I can lose 25-30 guys on scholarships by January.

So which DFW businesses are gonna' pony up for TCU???? The era of College free agency poaching has begun. What Waco business is gonna step up for Baylol?...Chip and Joanna? And what about Tard, whose gonna pony up?.... a pest control company???

The combination of being in the BDF coupled with NIL has doomed these programs.
Anchorhold
Minimize those expectations, BDF.
BillYeoman
Coogs are going to be sponsored by Bentley, Bubba Gump, Willie G's, Downtown Aquarium, Pleasure Pier, Kemah Boardwalk and (if the NBA allows) the Houston Rockets.
West Point Aggie
AG
Those that thought a NIL-driven world would be some sort of parity-inducing, equality world, are in for severe disappointment. Tcu and the rest of the b12/14 are not only headed to glorified AAC /
CUSA status, but will take a back seat to P5 teams is most aspects. The dwarfs of the b12/14 better hope the sips and thieves stay in through 2024.
Let’s Go Brandon!
Madman
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Those that thought a NIL-driven world would be some sort of parity-inducing, equality world, are in for severe disappointment. Tcu and the rest of the b12/14 are not only headed to glorified AAC /
CUSA status, but will take a back seat to P5 teams is most aspects. The dwarfs of the b12/14 better hope the sips and thieves stay in through 2024.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
BillYeoman said:

Coogs are going to be sponsored by Bentley, Bubba Gump, Willie G's, Downtown Aquarium, Pleasure Pier, Kemah Boardwalk and (if the NBA allows) the Houston Rockets.

Lol billy just like there was no way that Fruittata was going to let Hermensa go to tu right ? We told you over and over it was going to happen. He had all that cash to give to Tommy…. He left the car at the airport lol.

Congrats on finally making it to AA ball but it won't matter.

Your new league will blow harder than Shara Fryer did Bob Allen back in the day.
Macarthur
While it does look like it's going to take some of these schools some time to get a feel for this, schools like TCU and SMU have plenty of rich alums. They can pay for whatever they need....I just think those schools weren't quite as forward thinking as the big boys. And that surprises me about TCU because their athletic dept has always been strong.

Madman
AG
Just thinking out loud.

Large piles of easy money always create corruption over time. Corruption tends to encourage all sorts of negative behavior. It won't be pong before we have our first blackmail story out of all this. Our first violent beating or murder. Etc.

I know that may sound like a big leap but when a kid gets paid 6 or 7 figures and turns out to be a bust it will happen. Or how about this, players taking legal deals but with the secret understanding they will sometimes have to throw a game for the benefit of the gamblers.
Martin Cash
AG
Wisconsin_Ag said:

TCU coach Gary Patterson says SEC schools targeting player on his roster with NIL offers (msn.com)

"We planted the trees. Now we have to water 'em," Patterson said. "I hear, 'Well, I don't want to get dirty. It feels dirty. I don't know the rules.' Let me just say, you guys know me, I'm just going to tell the truth the bottom line to it is I can lose 25-30 guys on scholarships by January.

So which DFW businesses are gonna' pony up for TCU???? The era of College free agency poaching has begun. What Waco business is gonna step up for Baylol?...Chip and Joanna? And what about Tard, whose gonna pony up?.... a pest control company???

The combination of being in the BDF coupled with NIL has doomed these programs.
Little Caesars
AgDotCom
Macarthur said:

While it does look like it's going to take some of these schools some time to get a feel for this, schools like TCU and SMU have plenty of rich alums. They can pay for whatever they need....I just think those schools weren't quite as forward thinking as the big boys. And that surprises me about TCU because their athletic dept has always been strong.

I get where you're going with this, and I think some alumni will play ball or even make this a priority. But I think you're leaving out a lot of alums who support programs because they're fans of amateur athletics and student athletes.

A good percentage, and likely the majority percentage of alumni eagerly support their alma mater due to loyalty. Transfer portals and chasing NIL erodes reciprocal loyalty from the athletes and many alumni are going to move their money to something else that interests them more if this happens. This topic has come up for discussion several times among people I know. Time will tell the degree to which this affects a program, my early hunch is that it will not be insignificant.
DallasAg 94
Madman
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Looks like TCU will become a Farm System school.
I honestly think you just defined a huge number of schools with that comment. And probably thats how things are going to be very soon. When team X needs to fill an immediate need players will be enticed out of the play for school league into the pay for play league.
AGSWON
AG
Madman said:

Just thinking out loud.

Large piles of easy money always create corruption over time. Corruption tends to encourage all sorts of negative behavior. It won't be pong before we have our first blackmail story out of all this. Our first violent beating or murder. Etc.

I know that may sound like a big leap but when a kid gets paid 6 or 7 figures and turns out to be a bust it will happen. Or how about this, players taking legal deals but with the secret understanding they will sometimes have to throw a game for the benefit of the gamblers.
I've had that conversation with my neighbor too. Would a high profile player throw a game for $10 million bucks? I'm sure there are plenty that would think about it. Heck, it doesn't even need to be a high profile player. The center has a lot of responsibility snapping the ball. This is going to be quite interesting to watch.
DallasAg 94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.