Big 12 TV partners say "we'll wait and see"

5,285 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HTownAg98
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You turds can sweat it out. Too rich.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Embarrassing........
McInnis80
Don't blame them. Cord cutting is real and there is no guarantee of who will be in the league.
Anchorhold
there is no guarantee there will be a league.
Flashdiaz
AG
same answer I give my kids when the answer is most likely no and I don't want to think about it.
Maroon Dawn
AG
When 90% of your leagues TV value is in just two teams and it no guarantee either will still be there, why would you ever sign an early deal?

Little 8 can't be too happy about this either
vansprinkle
AG
Flashdiaz said:

same answer I give my kids when the answer is most likely no and I don't want to think about it.

Like when you're busy with something actually important and don't have the time or bandwidth to deal with a toddler's temper tantrum.
HTownAg98
Why pay to lock in the value of an asset now, when you know it will be cheaper in four years?
LOYAL AG
AG
When we were looking for what TexAgs would call the BDF I wanted to call it Schools Without Options Conference or the SWOC. This is precisely why.

It appears a near certainty that their GOR will be renewed at least into the 2030's. Why? It appears that tu isn't willing to let go of the boat anchor that is the LHN and as long as that thing is in place nobody in that conference has any other option but to remain in place. OU is the only other school with a promising P4 future and they've already been rejected by the PAC without sip in tow and their academics are too weak for the B1G. So even the best of the bunch has no options as long as tu is locked into the LHN. The sips are literally holding the rest of them hostage.

It's going to be a fun decade plus to see what their carriage rights look like from 2025 to 2031 which is when LHN expires.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Outside of an occasional non-conference game played by Zero U or cow, the little 12 has one, and only ONE game per season that matters or anyone cares about, the Red River Pop Gun Classic. All of the rest of the TV inventory is useless, which is why their champ. game is at 11 AM and most their games are on cable and not ABC or CBS. Nobody outside the little 12 footprint cares about the conference and there is little to no demand to watch KSU, Okie State, tcu, tech, etc.

How many people nationally care to watch Texas Tech vs. OK State or West. Va. vs. purple frog or baylor vs. anyone? Compare that to FL vs. LSU, Auburn vs. UGA, aTm vs. UT, Bama vs. anyone in the SEC, etc., etc.

The SEC (and Big 10) have DOZENS of games that CFB fans want to tune in to watch as must see TV for CFB, I'd safely put that # at 28+ games just for SEC games. Again, the little 12 has ONE conference game that matters and an occasional non-con game played by those same two schools.

This is the main reason cow so desperately wants to play us again, their schedule sucks and their home sked in their own stadium is terrible year in and year out with Red River in Dallas. Sure they have signed up series with Bama, etc. in non-con as they have to somehow try to offset a home slate of Kansas, West Va., Okie State, baylor, etc., etc., etc.

Their TV $$ is going to get a haircut or stay flat while ours continues to grow at a rapid pace.
mulch
AG
Sips are literally scheduling SEC teams so they can tell recruits "look, we play Bama too! You can come here and play SEC teams too"

It's jaw dropping how long it's taken them to realize how boxed in they are.

Sip has OU, A&M, the SEC, the NFL Draft, a garbage schedule and 10 years of losing football to overcome in recruiting.

They're gonna be down for a good while, if not forever.

Flashdiaz
AG
mulch said:

come on now, don't want to jinx it. Forever is a mighty long time.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
But then who will be playing at 11am on Fox Sports Southwest every week?
dixichkn
AG
Flashdiaz said:

mulch said:

come on now, don't want to jinx it. Forever is a mighty long time.
But I'm here to tell ya........there's something else.........the afterworld.

McInnis80
Hey, ESPN in going to be paying real money in a few years for the SEC on CBS package. That money got to come from somewhere. My guess is that the Big 12, Pac 12 and ACC may be looking at a haircut.
West Point Aggie
AG
tu becoming iowa states b**** tells you all you need to know about that conference. Maybe they'll add the Mormons and that giant community college from central florida.
Let’s Go Brandon!
West texas fan
? For you. Do you honestly believe the Sips have realized they have boxed themselves in yet?

Answer is H*LL NO!
McInnis80
West texas fan said:

? For you. Do you honestly believe the Sips have realized they have boxed themselves in yet?

Answer is H*LL NO!
Oh they know it. They just won't admit it.
West Point Aggie
AG
McInnis80 said:

West texas fan said:

Answer is H*LL NO!
Oh they know it. They just won't admit it.

This!
Let’s Go Brandon!
wbt5845
AG
LOYAL AG said:

It appears that tu isn't willing to let go of the boat anchor that is the LHN and as long as that thing is in place nobody in that conference has any other option but to remain in place.
West Point Aggie
AG
wbt5845 said:

LOYAL AG said:

It appears that tu isn't willing to let go of the boat anchor that is the LHN and as long as that thing is in place nobody in that conference has any other option but to remain in place.

They do love being the overbearing and fat plantation owner; 9 years ago we were shackled to that bunch! Thanks Dr Loftin!
Let’s Go Brandon!
yeshellyes
AG
And so many still want A&M to throw them a lifeline.
Artimus Gordon
And Ubben thinks Arkansas would be better off in the big12?

And then out of the blue, we have Deloss trying to rewrite history about how it wasn't his fault things turned out the way it did with realignment.

Next I guess we can expect to see a plethora of "please play us again" articles from the state sip media sycophants to help upgrade their home schedule and increase their appeal to the TV networks!

We saw how a once great rivalry of OU/NU was relegated to an 11:00 AM undercard slot by the TV networks, so that has to be cause for concern in the big12 in getting their upcoming TV deal signed. Ou just knew that would be an instant 2:30pm prime time classic. It turns out that it is just more evidence how things in college football have changed in the last 10 years!
West Point Aggie
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

And then out of the blue, we have Deloss trying to rewrite history about how it wasn't his fault things turned out the way it did with realignment.

Next I guess we can expect to see a plethora of "please play us again" articles from the state sip media sycophants to help upgrade their home schedule and increase their appeal to the TV networks!

We saw how a once great rivalry of OU/NU was relegated to an 11:00 AM undercard slot by the TV networks, so that has to be cause for concern in the big12 in getting their upcoming TV deal signed. Ou just knew that would be an instant 2:30pm prime time classic. It turns out that it is just more evidence how things in college football have changed in the last 10 years!

You'd have to be a blind ****** to think The pigs would be better off in the sippy 10. That simply is NEVER EVER EVER EVER happening.
The Deloss article is super transparent. Anyone with google can simple realize what a s***** deal that was for A&M.
The on/nu game is at 11am because the corn sucks and has sucked for over a decade. They are no longer relevant.

Let’s Go Brandon!
Ag83
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Artimus Gordon said:

You'd have to be a blind ****** to think The pigs would be better off in the sippy 10. That simply is NEVER EVER EVER EVER happening.
The Deloss article is super transparent. Anyone with google can simple realize what a s***** deal that was for A&M.
The on/nu game is at 11am because the corn sucks and has sucked for over a decade. They are no longer relevant.

TXAG 05
AG
Anyone know what the buyout is for the LHN? I'm surprised ESPN hadn't already cut their losses and reformatted the channel to something else.

I don't really blame Texas, if someone wanted to pay me a bunch of money to advertise my product, I'd do it too.
DifferenceMaker Ag
TXAG 05 said:

Anyone know what the buyout is for the LHN? I'm surprised ESPN hadn't already cut their losses and reformatted the channel to something else.

I don't really blame Texas, if someone wanted to pay me a bunch of money to advertise my product, I'd do it too.
The primary reason that ESPN created that deal in the first place was to trap tu in the BDF and to keep the conference TV rights from being poached by competitors. They also wanted to keep the BDF intact, because they had a major stake at the time. Although Fox has now encroached on some of that, it's still worth ESPN's time to force tu and the rest of the BDF to stay yoked to their wagon. No reason to change a thing from their perspective. ESPN played tu beautifully. Glad we escaped that disaster.
Ginormus Ag
AG
President Loftin. One BAMF.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

The primary reason that ESPN created that deal in the first place was to trap tu in the BDF and to keep the conference TV rights from being poached by competitors. They also wanted to keep the BDF intact, because they had a major stake at the time. Although Fox has now encroached on some of that, it's still worth ESPN's time to force tu and the rest of the BDF to stay yoked to their wagon. No reason to change a thing from their perspective. ESPN played tu beautifully. Glad we escaped that disaster.
Why couldn't the rest of the BDF leave, form their own conference and let Fox or Bally or even ESPN bid on it? It would leave texas an independent.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

Why couldn't the rest of the BDF leave, form their own conference and let Fox or Bally or even ESPN bid on it? It would leave texas an independent.
That is probably the unlikeliest thing to happen, and ESPN knows it. Simply put, tu is the anchor.
Iowaggie
AG
I still think the rest of the league messed up a few years ago when the B12 considered expansion, got a whole lot of desperate G5 schools, and then decided to stick with a 10 team split instead of more splits of a smaller piel

I still believe had they offered 4 schools a half split (for x years), they would be going several years of splitting 14 teams worth of revenue 12-ways, instead of the stale 10 teams that offer nothing nationally outside of a couple of teams. UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, and (BYU, Houston or USF) offer as strong of competition as half that conference, and could allow the conference to do a sensical championship game.
bankshot11
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

This will probably start the week that the sips play Arky this year. Del will run to the media and make up some story about them being forced to schedule their TRUE rival because Mean Old Aggie would prefer to play Miami and Notre Dame (and I'm pretty sure this game was originally supposed to happen in 2009 but got pushed back because Arky was offered more money to play Daddy at Jerryworld). Then the usual idiots will regurgitate their stupid articles about how "Texas' schedule is open" and how we are cowards for refusing to play them, conveniently ignoring that they refused Loftin's open challenge back in 2011.
W
AG
McInnis80 said:

Hey, ESPN in going to be paying real money in a few years for the SEC on CBS package. That money got to come from somewhere. My guess is that the Big 12, Pac 12 and ACC may be looking at a haircut.
that's what I'm thinking too.

along with the rights to all the 12-team playoff games.

the money for that (and the new SEC deal) has to come in part from reducing other contracts
HTownAg98
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

They all signed a grant of rights and gave away their tv rights. If a team went somewhere else, their tv rights stayed with the conference (aka the sips).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.