The Leach Curse continues...

5,067 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big 12-0
Big 12-0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31177646/sources-texas-longhorns-expected-hire-texas-tech-chris-beard-new-head-coach
Sterling82
I keep seeing that he was a "student assistant" when he was in school. Wasn't he in reality a student manager, aka the ball boy? Doesn't matter...good coach now. We'll see how his coaching style meshes with the entitled.
nbbob
I like how ESPN says Texas is one of the best jobs in the country. Then a few sentences later says Beard replaces Shaka, who left for Marquette.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Thought Tard said he was 100% loyal to them and would never ever leave
Flashdiaz
AG
nbbob said:

I like how ESPN says Texas is one of the best jobs in the country. Then a few sentences later says Beard replaces Shaka, who left for Marquette.

they regurgitate their stories. I'm sure they have tutemplates

New coach <insert name> is expected to take over one of the best jobs in the country as the head coach for <insert sports category>. <insert name> replaces <name from within 5yrs ago> who has left for <smaller school>.
TommyBrady
AG
The tech idiots actually think Tech is a destination
Party Boy
This is not a curse. Any coach with a modicum of success will get better offers and leave tech at absolutely every single sport.
sports
Even baseball ?
FNG
TommyBrady said:

The tech idiots actually think Tech is a destination

It is if you are a haboob.
TommyBrady
AG
They are handling it well
BQ_90
AG
you know it's bad when tards are throwing out the "its classless" accusations.
Aggie1
AG
https://texassports.com/news/2021/4/1/chris-beard-named-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx
screw-tu
Thought it was pretty s****y he did not even want to hear a counter offer from them. **** whorn. I have to say I'm on tehc side with this. As someone already pointed out, let's see how he deals with the entitled recruits, fan base, and alumni
Hopefully he won't leave the car at the airport when he leaves for those c**ksuckers
maddiedou
AG
Well scarlet black needs to check her tshirt at the door

Her Quote

I will never root for UT (tu) again in any sport. Well my dear where do your loyalties lie
maddiedou
Aggie1
AG
Per 247 Longhorn Sports

Chris Beard has agreed to seven-year, $35 million deal at Texas
racerfink
Wow, that will be a nice buy out for him when he leaves for FGCU after year four.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Beard, who called leaving Texas Tech "the most difficult decision of my life,"

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said he flew to Plainview, Texas, just north of Lubbock, to meet with Beard Thursday morning. Del Conte said they met at the Comfort Inn in Plainview and then went and had breakfast at McDonald's.

"It just clicked," Beard said.
Made the "most difficult decision of his life" eating a sausage biscuit at a Plainview McDonalds.

Sounds legit...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said he flew to Plainview, Texas, just north of Lubbock, to meet with Beard Thursday morning. Del Conte said they met at the Comfort Inn in Plainview and then went and had breakfast at McDonald's.

Made the "most difficult decision of his life" eating a sausage biscuit at a Plainview McDonalds.

Sounds legit...
Yep. If it was a hard decision he would have allowed Tech to counter offer
e=mc2
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Sounds legit...
You know Lubbock is a ****hole when you go to Plainview to hang out.
agent-maroon
AG
I get the dig, but whatever their reason was for going to Plainview it was NOT because it's nicer than Lubbock.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Big 12-0
If I was the Tech AD I'd be on the phone with these guys and bring them to Lubbock:

1. Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics HC): A proven coaching commodity in both college AND the NBA. This is a no brainer.

2. Mike Krzyzewski (Duke HC): He's done everything there is to do at Duke, so how about a new challenge? I'm sure the Lubbock folks would welcome him with open arms. Get your coach the right way, go to a different conference and take one of their best. Tech might have a tough time matching his Blue Devil salary, though.

3. Geno Auriemma (UConn Women's HC): He's a proven winner with women, let's see what he can do with some men?

Those are just some thoughts from the top of my head. With the financial resources available, Tech can afford to go after a lot of coaches out there.

agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

2. Mike Krzyzewski (Duke HC): He's done everything there is to do at Duke, so how about a new challenge? I'm sure the Lubbock folks would welcome him with open arms. Get your coach the right way, go to a different conference and take one of their best. Tech might have a tough time matching his Blue Devil salary, though.
It worked with Bobby Knight. Why not try it with one of Knight's former assistants?

ETA - in all seriousness, I'm convinced that the late Dr. Walter Piskun had something to do with Bobby Knight coming to coach tech. He had an old photo of his West Point team with HC Bobby Knight and assistant Coach K. He was very active with supporting tech as he and his wife were both part of the first graduating class of the medical school.

Quote:

He attended the Univ. of Hawaii School of Medicine and was the president of the first graduating class of Texas Tech University School of Medicine in Lubbock.

He played varsity baseball, basketball and football while at West Point. His basketball team at West Point, coached by Bobby Knight, participated in the NIT Tournament in 1965 and 1966.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=walter-s-piskun&pid=131105614

Even if he had nothing to do with it, how many people could have said that they were coached by both of those HOF greats?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Sounds legit...

Hey I've been there. After eating a sausage biscuit, the bathroom was closed at that plainview McDonald's and the closet indoor bathroom was 40 miles away in Lubbock.
Big 12-0
Quote:

Hey I've been there. After eating a sausage biscuit, the bathroom was closed at that plainview McDonald's and the closet indoor bathroom was 40 miles away in Lubbock.

There's a nice rest area on the way to the Hub from Plainview, right between Hale Center and Abernathy. Would have saved you 20 minutes of gastronomical agony.
agent-maroon
AG
McDonalds restrooms are an important part of West Texas culture. I blasted the Childress McDonalds late one Sunday on my way back to Amarillo. It was that trip when I realized that I was lactose intolerant after drinking a couple of chocolate milks in Wichita Falls. The rumblings started right before Quanah and trust me when I say that there is absolutely nothing between there and Childress. It might have only been 30 miles or so, but it seemed like a thousand.
Decay
AG
Dude went all of 45 minutes out of town to find a place he's invisible. I heard they planned out trips to Happy and Tulia but were forced to wrangle those costs back down.
Big 12-0
agent-maroon said:

McDonalds restrooms are an important part of West Texas culture. I blasted the Childress McDonalds late one Sunday on my way back to Amarillo. It was that trip when I realized that I was lactose intolerant after drinking a couple of chocolate milks in Wichita Falls. The rumblings started right before Quanah and trust me when I say that there is absolutely nothing between there and Childress. It might have only been 30 miles or so, but it seemed like a thousand.
I've been on that stretch of highway before, but it's nothing compared to the Childress-to-Paducah-to-Floydada stretch.

I'm partial to Allsups bathroom breaks, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.