Sips release

5,802 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Madman
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
24 man committee says song is fine and releases 59 page missive detailing why.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/ut-to-release-report-tuesday-on-history-of-eyes-of-texas-spirit-song/

Quote:

Will the song remain at UT?
Yes.

Consistent with what university and UT system leaders have been saying since July of 2020, UT Austin reiterated that the university will keep 'The Eyes of Texas' as its alma mater. The report notes this committee was created only to research and understand the song's history and usage since its inception.

sawemoff2010
AG
I find it very hard to root for such a terrible song, but the fact that it never caused a racist thought to cross the minds of something like 99% of the fanbase between 1970-2019 makes me think this was a very, very silly battle to begin with. The song isn't racist anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It grates me to the core, but it's not racist. There are real racial problems that exist, but this song is not one of them.
levypantsEOY
sawemoff2010 said:

I find it very hard to root for such a terrible song, but the fact that it never caused a racist thought to cross the minds of something like 99% of the fanbase between 1970-2019 makes me think this was a very, very silly battle to begin with. The song isn't racist anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It grates me to the core, but it's not racist. There are real racial problems that exist, but this song is not one of them.
This X1000. You have to reach REALLLLY far to make the racist accusation on this one. The argument- that it was once performed in a minstrel show a century ago (which may or may not even have happened) so obviously it's offensive now- is beyond bananas. Then again, they have cancelled Gone with the Wind and Dr. Seuss, so here we are.
kyleartice
New reports suggest that the school should cancel the "eyes of Texas" NOT because the song is racist, but because it "SOUNDS LIKE HELL"!
CoachtobeNamed$$$
Oh the report. Title threw me off. Thought they had goo'd themselves and each other over their "recruiting, we're back" fantasies.
Jack Squat 83
AG
IMO it's just another vehicle being used to test the "racist" limits and a small group has successfully gotten the team(s) and ignorant students(ever-ready virtue-signalers) all revved up. It's not about songs or statues at all. The "victims" don't care about the history of either, and won't spend 5 seconds trying to learn it.

The race-baiters should make t-shirts and adopt the logo - "Stick it to the man!" since that is the goal IMO. Crazy times.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
sleepybeagle
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

The race-baiters should make t-shirts and adopt the logo - "Stick it to the man!" since that is the goal IMO. Crazy times.
Crazy times for sure - little about this "movement" has anything to do with improving racial relations.
rootube
AG
Aggies streaming in to defend the "defiantly not racist" horn song is funny.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
rootube said:

I'd call it principled.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Has the band weighed in ? Only whitey in the band moving forward ?
achooooo
Tom Kazansky 2012 you are right. We all need to stand up to racism; and it comes in many forms but that song is not one of them. It's also time to stand up and fight the racism and hateful anti police rhetoric spewed by BLM, the "woke" crowd, the Democrat party and the cancel culture. Those people are gleefully ripping apart this country.
wbt5845
AG
Admins standing up and proclaiming all is good with "The Eyes" reminds me of....

maddiedou
AG
rootube said:

And that is the difference between us and them and conservatives and liberals

We will defend what is right no matter what party or what school Yes we pick sides but even if our side is wrong we will not side with them. Freaking tu and the damn liberals would burn TEXAS. A&M. down if it served their purpose

That is the different we don't decide on purpose we decide on what is right

And I hate tu with a passion

maddiedou
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
I'm glad they are keeping the song. This gives the chance for players and current students to go out of their way to not sing it, which further tears down what little culture and pride the school has left.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
SchizoAg
AG
rootube said:

Why does everyone under the age of 25 think "defiantly" means "definitely"?
greg.w.h
AG
SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

dfnly
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
I support sip on this one.

I wouldn't want anyone changing the War Hymn
MD20/20
AG
About that other song...texas bite
The way sips sing it seems to be inciting a riot or uprising or something
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Loyalty
AG
As much as arrogant sip is disgusting to me I'm glad to see the school stand up to this nonsense. They should tell the band members that if you don't want to play the song then turn in your gay little sip uniform and be gone with yourself.
wbt5845
AG
SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

It literally drives me insane.
SchizoAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

It literally drives me insane.
I should of seen that coming.
aTmAg
AG
sawemoff2010 said:

And whites are the target of the majority of modern racism.
West Point Aggie
AG
Dos Tasadores De TAMU said:

I support sip on this one.

I wouldn't want anyone changing the War Hymn

Except I've been working on the railroad is like Spirit of Aggieland and tu bites is like the War Hymn

Coincidentally: how long until "war hymn" is viewed as too toxically masculine and violence-inducing?
Let’s Go Brandon!
YouBet
AG
rootube said:

What is your opinion on Texas A&M sending out a letter proclaiming all white people racist and ugly?
WesMaroon&White
AG
Everything about tu is offensive.
Ronnie
AG
greg.w.h said:

SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

dfnly
4sho
Satellite of Love
Ronnie said:

greg.w.h said:

SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

dfnly
4sho

Totes my goats brahs!
Madman
AG
New information just handed to me makes the 24 person part of the OP's original story factually incorrect.

It was 22 people, 1 Monkey, and 1 bald, round, lard ball.

But close enough.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.