Dream big, Longhorns!

7,031 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BadAggie
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since 2015. which is as far back as 247's Team Talent Composite goes, THE University of Texas has been the most talented team in the entire Big 12.

In Tom Herman's first season, the Longhorns were #13 in the country in talent, ahead of both #15 A&M and #16 Oklahoma and started as the #23 ranked team. The Herman era got off to a rough start with a home loss to Maryland. Texas went 6-6 (5-4 B12), good for a 4-way tie for 4th in the conference, and earned a trip to the Texas Bowl.

In 2018, the Longhorns were the 9th most talented team, with OU at #11 and A&M at #16, and once again started with a #23 ranking. Once again, they started the season off with a loss to Maryland. They recovered by winning the next 6, including an elusive victory over OU. They would finish the regular season 9-3 and appear in their only Big 12 title game to date in the CFP era, a rematch with OU that they lost. They then would go on to upset Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, finishing #9, and proclaim they were BACK!

In 2019, the Longhorns were the 7th most talented team, with OU #8 and A&M #12. Starting the season at #10 and not having to play Maryland, the mighty Longhorns actually won their season opener vs La Tech. Narrow losses to top 10 LSU and OU squads caused Texas to drop to #15, They would struggle through the rest of the regular season: narrowly beating Kansas, losing to TCU to fall out of the rankings, narrowly beating Kansas State to jump back into the rankings, then losing to Iowa State and Baylor before beating Texas Tech to finish 7-5 and unranked. For some reason an unranked 7-5 Texas team got matched up with 11-2 #11 Utah in the Alamo Bowl and Texas actually won.

Finally, in 2020, Texas had a TOP 5 talented team. Right up there with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, and LSU. #9 OU and #11 A&M looking up in awe at the mighty Longhorns. Starting the season ranked #14, the Horns conquered UTEP and Texas Tech before falling to TCU and Oklahoma and out of the rankings. They would play 9 of their 10 scheduled games in this COVID-shortened season, finishing 6-3 and earning another trip to the Alamo Bowl. After defeating Colorado for his 4th straight bowl win with Texas, Herman was let go in favor of a REAL mastermind - Steve Sarkisian!

Herman squandered the embarrassment of riches in Austin, with only 1 Big 12 title game appearance, zero Big 12 titles, zero CFP appearances, and only 1 NY6 appearance. With Sark now at the helm, I give Longhorns permission to DREAM BIG! The days of losing to the Marylands and Iowa States and TCUs are OVER! Anything less than making the Big 12 Championship game and NY6/CFP is UNACCEPTABLE!
JunctionNephew
Why are you touting Texas on an A&M board?

**** them

Gator Bait
“I can’t die....God doesn’t want me yet and the devil has a restraining order against me.”
Madman
AG
The above data seems to indicate that the sips need to be at least 10-15 spots better in terms of talent than their opponent to win a game.

They can just fold and go home if the opponent has top 10 talent.
AtlAg05
AG
JunctionNephew said:

Why are you touting Texas on an A&M board?

**** them

Gator Bait

Didn't read the OP I see
JunctionNephew
Read it...could care less about Texas.

Why not have "Dream big, Alabama"

**** Texas
“I can’t die....God doesn’t want me yet and the devil has a restraining order against me.”
Summary of the OP -> Texas has had the wrong coach since 2015.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
McInnis80
I thought it was Ketch until I saw paragraphs.
Agvet12
AG
33 said:

Or, and hear me out, you're not that good and have inflated rankings to sell subscriptions
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Have the grandkids been informed?

Anyone???

Grandkids???
yeshellyes
AG
We're Texas => Were Texas. Apostrophes tell the story.
Agvet12 said:

33 said:

Or, and hear me out, you're not that good and have inflated rankings to sell subscriptions
I suppose that's possible.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
redline248
AG
33 said:

Don't you mean since 2010?
redline248 said:

33 said:

Don't you mean since 2010?
No, I think Mack Brown was a great coach and struggled after the 2009 season. Texas was impatient with the results from 2010 - 2013.

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Dr. Nefario
JunctionNephew said:

Read it...could care less about Texas.

Why not have "Dream big, Alabama"

**** Texas

Because this is the Old Rivalries board, not the SEC board. You don't want to read posts ****ting on the dildo wavers, don't come to OR.
Agsuffering@bulaw
OP's conclusion is more like: "Assuming the recruiting ratings are reliable, Herman underachieved badly."

Of course, we know the ratings are not reliable. The only question is how unreliable?
StrykerAg
AG
My conclusion is the only team in the Big 12 even CLOSE to the mighty Longhorns of Texas in talent is Oklahoma. Now that Herman is out and Sark is in, no way their RB is not a Heisman finalist en route to an 11 or 12-win regular season and berth in the Big 12 title game. That means playoffs at best, Sugar Bowl at worst. Texas is back, baby!
Muy
AG
Aggsieyes ran away from them, leaving them with nothing to do but suck.
BQ78
AG
Has permission been granted to dream big, this time?
Pole Assasin
BQ78 said:

Yes.
Artimus Gordon
Looks like the horns are bringing in as many problems as they got rid of in firing herman. Herman rights the ship and goes on a winning streak, wins the bowl game, gets a vote of confidence from del Monte, then gets fired when the sips find and hire an offensive coordinator with a spotty past. File this under, WTF did this really happen lore of big12 football?
EMY92
AG
McInnis80 said:

There were no mixed metaphors involving food.
BQ78
AG
Thanks, love your monkey.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
EMY92 said:

McInnis80 said:

There were no mixed metaphors involving food.

Yeah, I found one of ketch's prospect briskets

Aggie304
33 said:

1. Bad coaching
2. Poor talent due to unjustified recruiting rankings inflation by fan boy reporting in Austin
3. Toxic leadership and culture in austin

Even if you fix the coaching, the other 2 aren't changing
Gig em!
StrykerAg
AG
Aggie304 said:

33 said:

1. Bad coaching
2. Poor talent due to unjustified recruiting rankings inflation by fan boy reporting in Austin
3. Toxic leadership and culture in austin

Even if you fix the coaching, the other 2 aren't changing

Ta DAAAAA! Tell him what he's won!
SchizoAg
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Looks like the horns are bringing in as many problems as they got rid of in firing herman. Herman rights the ship and goes on a winning streak, wins the bowl game, gets a vote of confidence from del Monte, then gets fired when the sips find and hire an offensive coordinator with a spotty past. File this under, WTF did this really happen lore of big12 football?
It's their modus operandi, if not their trademark: Delusions of grandeur (thinking they could get Urban) resulting in a hilarious clown show of self destruction.
MooreTrucker
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Looks like the horns are bringing in as many problems as they got rid of in firing herman. Herman rights the ship and goes on a winning streak, wins the bowl game, gets a vote of confidence from del Monte, then gets fired when the sips think they're going to hire a national championship winning coach to match Jimbo, and end up having to find and hire an offensive coordinator with a spotty past. File this under, WTF did this really happen lore of big12 football?
FIFY
BBAg74
AG
McInnis80 said:

Under rated post. Well done, good sir.
StrykerAg
AG
Preseason Bowl Projections are starting to come in. Not that they matter, but Ags are projected to return to a NY6 (Fiesta/Sugar/Peach) while the fightin pole monkeys are projected to play in their home away from home - the Alamo Bowl. I don't get it. Texas has top 10/15 talent and stole Sark from Bama, but are only ranked #19 before the season and expected to finish behind Iowa Fkn State!?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sark is lucky Bijan is there.
The Agly Duckling
BQ78 said:

I was wondering if t.u. fans have been "approved" to dream big.
StrykerAg
AG
StrykerAg said:

agent-maroon
AG
People really pay money to read his crap?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
StrykerAg said:

StrykerAg said:

That aged well... I'm sure ketch will either go back and edit that or tell us how 3starkisian went from being a ****ty booze soaked cut of meat when he tweeted that to a finely smoked brisket under Saban's tutelage or some other food metaphor.
BadAggie
AG
Outside of a certain generation of boomer t-shirt fans over 65 years old the sips aren't that broadly popular. Now that the student body has determined that the school song is racist we'll see how long those boomer fans stick around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.