Would Texas have been better to hire Malzahn and bring in OC Chad Morris?

2,183 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Triple S
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I feel like that would have been the better move.

BTW - hearing that Saban is considering replacing Sarkisian with Bill O'Brien tell me all I need to know about Sarkisian
BQ_90
AG
Gus would have been better hire IMO. not sure about Chad as OC though.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Chad should have been the Bud Foster at Clemson....
Tom Doniphon
Gus Malzhan would've been a home run hire in the Big 12EST, IMHO. Glad those pompous p-ricks are too smart to hire a guy like him or Matt Campbell.
FJB
Dominion Caracas Branch
Gus would be a great hire. I mean he was one of the few coaches mildly competitive against on Saban.

He'd have been Mack 2.0 at tu.
Mayor West
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Or the Brent Venebles
Agsuffering@bulaw
Gus doesn't like to socialize with the boosters. He would have never worked out there.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Gus doesn't like to socialize with the boosters. He would have never worked out there.
I don't think the whorns want Sark socializing too much either.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Mayor West said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Or the Brent Venebles

Good one but I can still see Venables going for a HC job at some point especially if they keep getting pounded in the playoffs and the higher ups think the defense is costing them championships. Maybe once his son finishes his playing time there.
aTm2004
AG
Gus just spent 8 years it's a fan base that wanted him fired if he only beat a team by 43. There's no way he would have wanted to go to the pressure cooker on the 40 acres who believe they're entitled to 10 wins because of who they are, especially while their not rival is kicking ass.
Agsuffering@bulaw
That's just it, they probably still do. Dude will have to drink his iced tea while they knock them back. It sounds like the first act of a Greek tragedy. I hope he fails on the field but wins at sobriety.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Malzhan is overrated by many on this forum. He's really not that great of a coach. Sure, he's had his moments, but 2013 was somewhat of an anomaly (not his players; Saban went brain dead at the end of the 'Bama game; Auburn lucked out with Mizzou in the SECCG; most wins were close wins and only the Alabama win and maybe one more was a "good" win -- others were mediocre at best). His best year was probably 2017 and they went flat at the end. The other years, the body of his work, consisted of 3rd and 4th place SECW finishes. Auburn has been looking at a Malzhan exit strategy now for YEARS.

Would I take him over Sark? Hell no. But I'll admit it is a reasonable question. I would want a third option.

Now, if you think Malzhan's system might work better for t.u. than Sark's in the B12, then yeah, THAT would be an entertaining discussion. I just don't think personality wise, you take on what amounts to be someone who's going to have similar issues as the guy you just got rid of.
TAMC11
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Big 12EST
Artimus Gordon
Dabo could have used Chad Morris against Ohio state!

Fortunately we will never know about malzahn and Morris at tu! That is a foregone possibility!
LOYAL AG
AG
Malzahn had a good amount of success against Saban yet he still finished with 3-4 losses in any given year. Know who else has a record like that? Herman. He was known for getting his guys up for the big game then losing ones he shouldn't lose. That was Herman when tu hired him and that's pretty much what they got out of him. Remember that the same guy that beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl lost to Maryland and should have lost to Tulsa. Gus is Herman, IMO.

Sark is a gamble but not because of his character flaws. We all have them and I hope he's put that behind him. Sark is a gamble because he was a mediocre head coach prior to his stint in the Saban Coaching Rehab Clinic. What has changed in his approach having done his time there? We'll know soon enough.

tu is a difficult job right now. Riley owns the BDF and A&M, OU, tOSU and Bama are hoarding the state's best talent. 2021 was a deep class and 2022 is even deeper. They struck out on the best of 2021 and are behind the curve for the best of 2022. Can Sark assemble a staff capable of getting them in the game for the 2022 class against Jimbo and everyone else? That remains to be seen. This is where Herman failed. His first staff was terrible.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.