Is Sark an upgrade over Herman?

3,383 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
sleepybeagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is Stark better than Herman?

Steve Sarkisian: Head Coach Record
2009 Washington 5-7 (7th)
2010 Washington 7-6 (T-3rd North)
2011 Washington 7-6 (4th North)
2012 Washington 8-4 (3rd North AP #25) - Left to join USC before bowl game

2014 USC 9-4 (T-2nd South AP #20)
2015 USC 3-2 - Fired mid season for drinking issues

Bowl Record 2-2
Top Ranking AP #20
Total: 46-35 (57% winning record)

Tom Herman: Head Coach Record
2015 Houston 13-1 (T-1st AP #8)
2016 Houston 9-3 (T-3rd)

2017 sips 7-6 (T-4th AP #8)
2018 sips 10-4 (2nd)
2019 sips 8-5 (T-3rd AP #25)
2020 sips 7-3 (3rd)

Bowl Record 5-0
Best Team AP #8
Total: 54-22 (71% Winning Record)
AlexNguyen
Ned Stark would be an upgrade, albeit maybe not as Head Coach.
happy days
tu money brokers fell in love with Mensa when he beat Bob Stoops and OU in 2016. %A0They just knew that he was the second coming of DKR and they just had to have them some of that.

Kind of like Kentucky money guys felt about BCG when the Ags beat Louisville in the NCAA tournament. %A0They just had to have them some of that.

BTW, was the Mensa claim ever confirmed? %A0Tom never struck me as being particularly bright.%A0

%A0%A0
Tom Doniphon
Whiskey is cheaper than coke.
FJB
AlaskanAg99
AG
No. No he is not.
3rd misfire after believing they can "money whip" anyone they want. Which is also a No, No they cannot.

Sark may make them more competitive in the Big 12, but it remains a garbage conference.
Jack Squat 83
AG
So in his most successful season he's ever had when he's in charge, he suffered 4 losses. I haven't dug into the details, but apparently he had a serious problem with alcohol in the not too distant past. (personally I hope he continues on the right track, healthwise).

He is now jumping headfirst into a clown-riddled cesspool of an organization, where information leakers are everywhere and all of the local journo inter-netters will unwittingly work against him every step of the way. The LHN will demand attention and keep the spotlight burning ever so bright and apparently he will become the property of the rich sips who care about football (and are still alive).

Who knows but we'll see how it all works out.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
GAC06
AG
Weird how the Joneses always talk about hiring people like Saban, Tomlin, Meyer, but wind up hiring mid-major coaches or a coordinator with a checkered past.
91AggieLawyer
AG
He's not only not an upgrade, I think he's a downgrade. Perhaps significantly.

It was one thing to do this deal. I can see the idea that Herman had to go, things weren't working out, etc. It is quite another to spend the money they spent to get rid of Herman to do this deal. Wait a year, blame Covid (not like media won't cover for you), let buyout lower, get new assistants, and spend 11 months finding "right" coach.

What exactly am I missing? There has to be something. NO? Were they worried that Herman wins, say, 11 games next year and saves his job?
Dominion Caracas Branch
Keeping sober will be hell in that environment.
longeryak
91AggieLawyer said:

He's not only not an upgrade, I think he's a downgrade. Perhaps significantly.

It was one thing to do this deal. I can see the idea that Herman had to go, things weren't working out, etc. It is quite another to spend the money they spent to get rid of Herman to do this deal. Wait a year, blame Covid (not like media won't cover for you), let buyout lower, get new assistants, and spend 11 months finding "right" coach.

What exactly am I missing? There has to be something. NO? Were they worried that Herman wins, say, 11 games next year and saves his job?
Saban retires and Sark gets whatever HC fills Saban's shoes? Or no one wants to follow Saban(the legend) and Sark gets the job by default?

Sark's record of QB development beats Herman by a wide margin.

If Sark hires Tosh Lupoi then the money bags will be flowing from Austin.
AlexNguyen
91AggieLawyer said:

The Horns have UL Ragin' Cajuns, Arkansas Razorbacks and Rice Owls in nonconference in 2021. I would not bet on Tom Herman going undefeated against that slate judging by past record.

In my opinion, AD Del Conte was indeed going to keep Herman another year, but the outroar from the donors was loud and clear and then Herman screwed up further by trying to land the job with the Gamecocks. No way Del Conte could have kept him after that. So he moved onto Plan (or C or D or whatever).

Artimus Gordon
The last part of his name is kissyann so they ha
Ve more in common than tu bargained for!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

tu money brokers fell in love with Mensa when he beat Bob Stoops and OU in 2016.
Wow, I was at that game and never made that connection. It makes perfect sense why they wanted him so badly the very next year.
91AggieLawyer
AG
AlexNguyen said:

91AggieLawyer said:

The Horns have UL Ragin' Cajuns, Arkansas Razorbacks and Rice Owls in nonconference in 2021. I would not bet on Tom Herman going undefeated against that slate judging by past record.

In my opinion, AD Del Conte was indeed going to keep Herman another year, but the outroar from the donors was loud and clear and then Herman screwed up further by trying to land the job with the Gamecocks. No way Del Conte could have kept him after that. So he moved onto Plan (or C or D or whatever).

If that's true, then Herman played that brilliantly -- getting out of that cesspool and getting paid to do it. Going another year wasn't going to add to his value and he can still either get an offensive coordinator job or a non-P5 head job.
HeyMoe
AG
He will undoubtedly have tu's offense clicking.

The question is; can he manage a high-expectation, high-pressure job that is one of the most difficult in the country in terms of meddlesome alumni.

Strong couldn't.
Herman couldn't.

Art96
AG
I remember all the excitement when we landed a coach from Alabama. I also remember it not turning out so well.
Loyalty
AG
It's not the coach, it's the culture, the fans and the arrogant, entitled, outlandish opinion of themselves. They can't keep a coach more than three years if he's not winning the national championship. Wash rinse repeat
sleepybeagle
AG
Round Rock AG said:

It's not the coach, it's the culture, the fans and the arrogant, entitled, outlandish opinion of themselves. They can't keep a coach more than three years if he's not winning the national championship. Wash rinse repeat
Ding...Give the man from Round Rock a cigar!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
In my opinion... and no one has asked... what Texas needs is a strong leader who can restore a little order in the CULTURE in Austin. They are entangled in an internal war over their culture, and their traditions are at risk. As an Aggie, I will stand strong with our Longhorn friends to fight for the Eyes of Texas, even as I'll cringe to hear it played. But until they win the culture war, the football war will be secondary. It will take a reasonable person who is media savvy, understand but does not get entangled in politics, who can be calming, reassuring, but strong.

I believe that is why Tom Herman was actually fired.. he was losing the battle for the hearts of the players, and unable to stand up to the culture bullies in Austin. I don't know that it seems the AD is doing any better, though, and the hire of Sarkisian doesn't say to me that he understands what is at risk.

I know most of you are happy to revel in their problems, and yes, they are sleeping in the bed that they messed up... but I think for the state of Texas, they could do a lot to lead in this area. If football at the University of Texas unravels completely, it's really not good for football in general. We need Texas and Texas A&M to be the bellweathers for football, whether or not we play each other.

(Edit: I missed two above me who brought up the culture issue as I scanned toward the end. We are definitely on the same page!)
Madman
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

In my opinion... and no one has asked... what Texas needs is a strong leader who can restore a little order in the CULTURE in Austin. They are entangled in an internal war over their culture, and their traditions are at risk. As an Aggie, I will stand strong with our Longhorn friends to fight for the Eyes of Texas, even as I'll cringe to hear it played. But until they win the culture war, the football war will be secondary. It will take a reasonable person who is media savvy, understand but does not get entangled in politics, who can be calming, reassuring, but strong.

I believe that is why Tom Herman was actually fired.. he was losing the battle for the hearts of the players, and unable to stand up to the culture bullies in Austin. I don't know that it seems the AD is doing any better, though, and the hire of Sarkisian doesn't say to me that he understands what is at risk.

I know most of you are happy to revel in their problems, and yes, they are sleeping in the bed that they messed up... but I think for the state of Texas, they could do a lot to lead in this area. If football at the University of Texas unravels completely, it's really not good for football in general. We need Texas and Texas A&M to be the bellweathers for football, whether or not we play each other.

(Edit: I missed two above me who brought up the culture issue as I scanned toward the end. We are definitely on the same page!)

I nominate Matthew Mcconaughey for this job. Well him and a blue ribbon committee of guys like Chip Brown and Ketch. They should be given an open checkbook and unlimited power to make changes.
BigSneezy
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

So, I am just going to call bull on this. This used to be true when were in their conference, but it serves us in no way whatsoever for Texas to be anything but awful.

Now, if we are forced to play them, by some legislative action, then yes. Having them not suck would help our schedule. But that just ain't gonna happen.
LB12Diamond
AG
After the Urban Meyer Mishap where they courted a new coach while still having an existing one. I was very surprised it looked like they were going to keep Herman.

Main reason, they had just put him even more behind the eight ball in recruiting. Every program that was recruiting against the horns could just highlight their coach was on solid footing with their school.

They pretty much had to get a new coach. The 2022 class in Texas is one of the best ever. And I'm sure they want to do all they can to try and get that QB Herman lost back into the fold.

As far as the actual hire. Nothing great and does appear very risky. I doubt he lasts longer than Herman did unless Texas finally stops recycling coaches.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Whiskey is cheaper than coke.

But they go great together
Agsuffering@bulaw
I hope they collapse. Not only would it help us, it would be an object lesson that when a football program goes woke it goes broke. The world needs a titanic story to remember what happens when leftwing BS steers the ship.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I hope they collapse. Not only would it help us, it would be an object lesson that when a football program goes woke it goes broke. The world needs a titanic story to remember what happens when leftwing BS steers the ship.
They have collapsed. Going on ten years now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.