What the rest of the college football world doesn't understand.......

5,794 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
HeyMoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
....is that Steve Sarkisian was the Longhorn's first choice all along.

The Urban Meyer thing was just a feint to mess with the minds of the rubes.

As usual, the University of Texas is playing five-dimensional chess while the rest of college football is drawing plays in the dirt with sticks.
AlexNguyen
What is the use of this post? It's obvious and known to everyone that Texas pursued Urban Meyer and didn't get him and had to move onto their second (most likely third or fourth choice).

Sarkisian is a controversial hire but hey if my PC, cocktail drinking fellow alumni don't like it, that's an item in the plus column for me.
Tom Doniphon
Sark after dark coming to 6th street... what could possibly go wrong?
Satellite of Love
Lol, sure bro.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
AgCat93
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Plenty.
AgResearch
AG
TEXAS IS BACK!!!!! All off season long.
AlexNguyen
Satellite of Love said:

Lol, sure bro.
Ah, I missed Rivalries. Forgot you can't talk football here.
FDT 1999
AG
During the last coaching search, you heard stories about Nick Saban, but end up with Herman. This coaching search, there's a ton of chatter about Urban Meyer only to end up with Sarkisian.

Is there another program out there with less self-awareness?
AlexNguyen
FDT 1999 said:

During the last coaching search, you heard stories about Nick Saban, but end up with Herman. This coaching search, there's a ton of chatter about Urban Meyer only to end up with Sarkisian.

Unless this is just smack talk, this makes no sense to me. If you have the money and the resources/position to win but you lack quality coaching, you try to remedy exactly that. Whether Texas could have really snagged Saban or Meyer is another issue, but you have to ask and make them say no first, before moving on.

Alrighty, have a good game guys. I guess I'm too old for this Rivalries stuff now. Not interesting in trading insults.
Party Boy
AlexNguyen said:

What is the use of this post? It's obvious and known to everyone that Texas pursued Urban Meyer and didn't get him and had to move onto their second (most likely third or fourth choice).

Sarkisian is a controversial hire but hey if my PC, cocktail drinking fellow alumni don't like it, that's an item in the plus column for me.
They'll like Sark.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Look who's back - the arrogant ****head loser who talked **** for years then went into hiding. What is your purpose of popping in here, loser?
fc2112
AlexNguyen said:

FDT 1999 said:

Unless this is just smack talk, this makes no sense to me. If you have the money and the resources/position to win but you lack quality coaching, you try to remedy exactly that. Whether Texas could have really snagged Saban or Meyer is another issue, but you have to ask and make them say no first, before moving on.
Would Texas have been happy hiring someone like Jimbo Fisher? If so, why didn't they?
AggieBand2004
AG
AlexNguyen said:

FDT 1999 said:

Alrighty, have a good game guys. I guess I'm too old for this Rivalries stuff now. Not interesting in trading insults.

Of course. But the horn leadership (and their connected media sycophants) are too damn self-important to contact those coaches quietly. They can't help but leak info, because "WE'RE Texas, and such a football powerhouse... look at the coaches WE are courting! It's gonna be awesome when they say yes!"

The transitions from Brown to Strong and then Strong to Herman were so badly bungled, that the football world was laughing at you. And your misplaced pride is making it happen again.
Loyalty
AG
The problem with tu is not coaching (although hermensa was a complete clown), it's the self important, entitled, delusional fans and big money sips that really believe they are a blue blood program. They'll never give anyone the chance to build a program if he doesn't win it all in 3 years. All this despite being a perennial 8-4 team the last 5 decades. They fired one of the best coaches in modern history in Mac Brown. Let em burn. It's entertaining.
Science Denier
AG
AlexNguyen said:

FDT 1999 said:

Get your fat ass to the east Texas board. You still suck at this.
Not Coach Jimbo
They just flirted with meyer to drive Sarks asking price down.
HeyMoe
AG
Quote:

but you have to ask and make them say no first, before moving on

tu --- "Hello, Coach Meyer?"

Meyer --- "No"
Madman
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Would it be funny to spend the money to make sure every billboard around Austin was advertising booze?

Cuz I think the answer is yes.
BohunkAg
AG
The dipstick Austin mayor is trying to close all the bars and restaurants anyway. Wont matter.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The question is whether it was worth the opportunity cost. Sark has a puncher's chance at being better than Herman.

1. The AD publicly stated that Herman would be the coach in '21 a few days before ESD. Even if technically not false, it was incredibly deceptive. Only a fool would rely on anything out of his mouth now.

2. It will cost $20 million just to get rid of Herman and staff.

3. Any replacement would think long and hard before committing there, after the way they treated Herman.
Token
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The question is whether it was worth the opportunity cost. Sark has a puncher's chance at being better than Herman.

1. The AD publicly stated that Herman would be the coach in '21 a few days before ESD. Even if technically not false, it was incredibly deceptive. Only a fool would rely on anything out of his mouth now.

3. Any replacement would think long and hard before committing there, after the way they treated Herman.
for 20M you can cattle prod me on my way out
AlexNguyen
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Eh? I wouldn't trust a word out of any AD's mouth about the job security of their .600 coach give or take. That should be understood from the start.

The $20 million is only a problem if you think it was there already to be spent on another purpose. My understanding is the money was specifically given by donors for the purpose of firing Herman. They hated him that much. It is not money Del Conte had laying around in the coffers and truth be told if he had kept Herman after the South Carolina miscue, he probably would have had less money coming in.

Your last opinion makes no sense to me. Herman doesn't appear to be liked by his fellow coaches. No reason for any coach to decline a high profile job with the compensation to come along out of some 'loyalty' to him. If your point is that they fear his fate or Strong's for that matter, it's easy. Don't lose to teams you should not lose to. Beat OU more times than not. And don't p*** off the people that pay your enormous salary. I don't see the young aggressive types turning down a shot at winning big at Texas.
Tom Doniphon
If you're gonna refer to the USCe deal as a "miscue" on Herman's part, what the hell do you call the Urban Meyer cluster fk?
FJB
AlexNguyen
Tom Doniphon said:

If you're gonna refer to the USCe deal as a "miscue" on Herman's part, what the hell do you call the Urban Meyer cluster fk?
I'll give a serious answer though you are punchy for some reason. We tried and failed to get Urban Meyer. Unfortunately the efforts became public and the lengthy back and forth became embarassing for Texas. That said, it is clear the AD knows past hiring and firings have not been handled well and he did try to keep this particular incident under wraps but failed.
Agsuffering@bulaw
He failed spectacularly!
CajunAg86
Serious question: If freely given, could delmonte have chosen to use the $20 mill to save the furloughs and cut positions?

If restricted by the donation, then the donors truly have no heart. Watching people hit the streets when you have pocket change to save their jobs and families...
agent-maroon
AG
Big money doesn't give two craps about the little people. They didn't amass fortunes by having "heart" or a sense of fairness.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AlexNguyen
CajunAg86 said:

Serious question: If freely given, could delmonte have chosen to use the $20 mill to save the furloughs and cut positions?

If restricted by the donation, then the donors truly have no heart. Watching people hit the streets when you have pocket change to save their jobs and families...

No is my understanding. They passed the hat specifically to raise money to get rid of Herman. And the pledges for this purpose were made well after the furloughs and layoffs from Covid were made. The two events have nothing to do with each other.
Madman
AG
AlexNguyen said:

Tom Doniphon said:

I'll give a serious answer though you are punchy for some reason. We tried and failed to get Urban Meyer. Unfortunately the efforts became public and the lengthy back and forth became embarassing for Texas. That said, it is clear the AD knows past hiring and firings have not been handled well and he did try to keep this particular incident under wraps but failed.
A real non smack talk take from an Aggie.

I doubt any AD at Texas is or will be able to do any type of high profile hire well. Not because you currently have a bad AD but because it looks like you have too many huge ego's donating money that can't shut up or be told no.

I think we suffer from that somewhat except ours "seem" at least to have a meeting of the wallets then shut the hell up for a few months. I would guess this is possible because a lot of our money men are in the same or related industries. While your guys seem to be from a wider range of backgrounds.
AlexNguyen
Madman said:

AlexNguyen said:

Tom Doniphon said:

I doubt any AD at Texas is or will be able to do any type of high profile hire well. Not because you currently have a bad AD but because it looks like you have too many huge ego's donating money that can't shut up or be told no.

I think we suffer from that somewhat except ours "seem" at least to have a meeting of the wallets then shut the hell up for a few months. I would guess this is possible because a lot of our money men are in the same or related industries. While your guys seem to be from a wider range of backgrounds.
That is a reasonable take. I think the leaks from within the AD office this time around was minimal compared to the past. The Mack Brown firing was especially messy because (I am guessing) his people were probably involved in some of it himself.
Madman
AG
AlexNguyen said:

Madman said:

AlexNguyen said:

Tom Doniphon said:

That is a reasonable take. I think the leaks from within the AD office this time around was minimal compared to the past. The Mack Brown firing was especially messy because (I am guessing) his people were probably involved in some of it himself.
If you think your big money guys don't pick up the phone and call coaches and agents you are probably wrong. I am pretty sure ours have done this before and probably will again. If your mega donors aren't on a leash there is no way any AD will ever be able to do an effective hire.

Easy job right? Telling a billionaire to sit down, and shut up, but still get the donation.
bqce
bqce
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Madman said:

AlexNguyen said:

Madman said:

AlexNguyen said:

Tom Doniphon said:

If you think your big money guys don't pick up the phone and call coaches and agents you are probably wrong. I am pretty sure ours have done this before and probably will again. If your mega donors aren't on a leash there is no way any AD will ever be able to do an effective hire.

Easy job right? Telling a billionaire to sit down, and shut up, but still get the donation.

It's the difference between an average AD and a great AD. A great AD can keep all those guys in check and still get the checks rolling in.

A bad one has mega donors starting rumors of urban Meyer being hired even though he wants nothing to do with your school, have to give a dreaded vote of confidence to your current coach just to save a middling signing day class, and then have to fire your coach after he's been undermined to the point where he has no legs anymore.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

This is just incorrect on so many levels. For one, money smooths bad vibes out EVERY TIME. Coaches who want a pay day will soon forget how the last one was treated, even if they didn't like how things went down. For another, it contradicts the idea that you have a hire in place before firing the guy there. If this statement were, in fact, true, there would be no way you could ever do that. If you did happen to do it once, that would be the last time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.