The Longhorn Dis-Band

6,013 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EMY92
sleepybeagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Real world problem: It's raining and you can't find a warm dry corner on the dirt floor of your run-down government provided shelter for your kids to sleep.

College student problem: Almost dropping your new iPhone 12 trying to tweet to your friends to show how woke and triggered you are that the band is playing that capitalistic college fight song again to the tune about a racist choo-choo train.
agg15
We tried to tell them for almost a century it sounded like hell...
West Point Aggie
AG
agg15 said:

We tried to tell them for almost a century it sounded like hell...

Quality golf clap for you!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
West Point Aggie
AG
Do we now have to changes ours a bit to say:

"That is the song they SANG so well, SOUNDED like hell?"
Let’s Go Brandon!
sleepybeagle
AG
Wow...good point! I never thought I'd see the day that our fight song would come true! It actually makes me worried. We should all be afraid about these SJW's and their desire to take down our establishment.

Good-bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
"The eyes of Texas are upon you . . ."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to texas university
We're going to beat you all to
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!
wbt5845
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

If any Q's pulled this **** they'd change their mind pretty damn quick after a Dr. Rhea ass chewing and probably R-dubs for life. Amazing what not taking stupid **** does for an organization.

up-n-aTm
AG
Spotted Ag said:

New woke version of The Eyes of Texas

The eyes of Texas are upon you
No longer will be played
The soy boys in the band
finally had their say

Now they'll play with giant dildos
or sit back and smoke some weed

Tom can't wait to kiss them
and swallow all their seed.

AgCWby90CS
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Just like no one in San Antonio has been able to explain to me why Bexar is pronounced Bear, having read the words to their little tune, I can't seem to get why it is "racist"

Faux rage?
per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas

John Sinclair wrote the Texas-specific song lyrics in 1903 to the tune of the original folk song, "I've Been Working on the Railroad," that was published nine years earlier in 1894. Sinclair was the editor of the Cactus yearbook and a UT band member, and he wrote the lyrics per the request of band member Lewis Johnson. Johnson was also the program director of the Varsity Minstrel Show that raised funds for the university track team. He debuted the song at the minstrel show.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-1][1][/url]

The lyrics are said to be intended to poke fun at University President William Lambdin (Colonel) Prather. Prather had attended Washington College, now Washington and Lee University, whose president, Robert E. Lee, would frequently tell his students, "the eyes of the South are upon you." Prather was known for including in his speeches a similar admonition, "The eyes of Texas are upon you," meaning that the state of Texas was watching and expecting the students to go out and do great things. Prather enjoyed the song and promoted its usage. He died not long thereafter, and the song was played at his funeral.

In June 2020, several players on the University of Texas at Austin football team requested that the university replace the song with one "without racist undertones."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-7][7][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-8][8][/url] In response to the players request, African-American former University of Texas football players Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams spoke out to keep the song in place as UT's alma mater.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-Chronicle-9][9][/url]
Campbell's comments on the "Eyes of Texas" are as follows:
Quote:

"I'm proud of that song," ~ "I think there's a lot of things that can be done other than that song in my opinion. I just believe 'The Eyes of Texas' stands for something."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-Chronicle-9][9][/url]
Williams was also quoted as saying:
Quote:

"I think it's important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from, but I think it's more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed,"[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-Chronicle-9][9][/url]
CWby '90
AgCWby90CS
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Just like no one in San Antonio has been able to explain to me why Bexar is pronounced Bear, having read the words to their little tune, I can't seem to get why it is "racist"

Faux rage?

San Antonio is in Bexar County, one of the 254 counties in the state of Texas, You can trace the name to Villa de San Fernando de Bxar, the first civil government established by the Spanish in what was then the province of Texas. Our city was created in 1731 when 55 Canary Islanders settled near the system of missions that had been established around the source of the San Antonio River. (Not to confuse you, but the city will be celebrating its 300th anniversary in 2018. This date marks the first European visit to the area. They named the area and the river San Antonio, after St. Anthony of Padua, but they didn't hang around long enough to set down roots.)
When Mexico won its independence from Spain they inherited Texas and gave the name Bexar to the area that encompassed the entire western part of Texas.
So how do you pronounce it? Most newbies assume it is BEX-are, with a hard X as in X-ray. Spanish speakers tend to give it the Spanish pronunciation: bay-HAR. They are both wrong. Here in San Antonio we live in BEAR County. Now you know.

https://texastrailroundup.org/2018/11/26/how-do-you-pronounce-bexar-and-why-should-you-care/
CWby '90
West Point Aggie
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

West Point Aggie said:

Faux rage?

San Antonio is in Bexar County, one of the 254 counties in the state of Texas, You can trace the name to Villa de San Fernando de Bxar, the first civil government established by the Spanish in what was then the province of Texas. Our city was created in 1731 when 55 Canary Islanders settled near the system of missions that had been established around the source of the San Antonio River. (Not to confuse you, but the city will be celebrating its 300th anniversary in 2018. This date marks the first European visit to the area. They named the area and the river San Antonio, after St. Anthony of Padua, but they didn't hang around long enough to set down roots.)
When Mexico won its independence from Spain they inherited Texas and gave the name Bexar to the area that encompassed the entire western part of Texas.
So how do you pronounce it? Most newbies assume it is BEX-are, with a hard X as in X-ray. Spanish speakers tend to give it the Spanish pronunciation: bay-HAR. They are both wrong. Here in San Antonio we live in BEAR County. Now you know.

https://texastrailroundup.org/2018/11/26/how-do-you-pronounce-bexar-and-why-should-you-care/

Thanks! Good stuff! Interesting that my entire family is from Spain proper (Galicia) and the Bay-HAR pronounciation must be a local thing...like meXico pronounced meJico (h sound)...I ran it by mom...an 89 Spanish woman: she opted for Be-Jar ;-) she loves it here so I did not correct the ol gal!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Wow...good point! I never thought I'd see the day that our fight song would come true! It actually makes me worried. We should all be afraid about these SJW's and their desire to take down our establishment.

Good-bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
"The eyes of Texas are upon you . . ."
That is the song they sang so well
So good-bye to texas university
We're going to beat you all to
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

Gotta sing it past tense now, right?
twk
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Faux rage?
I've posted this elsewhere; might as well share it here.

The argument that the phrase, "The Eyes of Texas are upon you" is racist because it derived from Robert E Lee, who was president of what is now Washington & Lee College, told his students, "The Eyes of the South are upon you," is pure kindergarten level logic. Lee's statement wasn't racist, nor was it racist for the t.u. president to paraphrase it. The words have nothing to do with white supremacy.

Having said that, the origin of the song is another matter altogether. I had always known the story about the origin of the song, as coming from a "minstrel show," but I really hadn't thought much about what that meant until looking into this recently. Even the tune it's based on, "I've been working on the railroad," which sounds completely innocuous as people sing it today, originated from minstrel shows the main feature of which was lampooning the assumed lethargy and lack of intelligence among black people. Look at the original lyrics to "I've Been Working on the Railroad" from 1894:

(SOLO) I once did know a girl named Grace--
(QUARTET) I'm wukkin' on de levee;
(SOLO) She done brung me to dis sad disgrace
(QUARTET) O' wukkin' on de levee.

I been wukkin' on de railroad
All de livelong day,
I been wukkin' on de railroad
Ter pass de time away.
Doan' yuh hyah de whistle blowin'?
Ris up, so uhly in de mawn;
Doan' yuh hyah de cap'n shouin',
"Dinah, blow yo' hawn?

"Sing a song o' the city;
Roll dat cotton bale;
N****** aint half so happy
As when he's out o' jail
Norfolk foh its oystahshells,
Boston foh its beans,
Chahleston foh its rice an' cawn,
But foh n******* New Awleens.

Now, in that context, imagine what the first performance of the "The Eyes of Texas" was really like. A few pictures to help you visualize it.

Of course, just like I've been working on the railroad is no longer performed that way, neither is the eyes of Texas. The arrangement played by the band is so pompous and pretentious, it could hardly be further removed from its original parody setting. So, is that enough to take the taint off of it? Thankfully, that's not my problem. There's nothing racist about how the song is performed, now, but can you separate that from it's origin story, which, I think you must concede absolutely was racist.
West Point Aggie
AG
^
|
Fascinating! Thanks for the post...
Let’s Go Brandon!
EMY92
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

West Point Aggie said:

Faux rage?
per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas

John Sinclair wrote the Texas-specific song lyrics in 1903 to the tune of the original folk song, "I've Been Working on the Railroad," that was published nine years earlier in 1894. Sinclair was the editor of the Cactus yearbook and a UT band member, and he wrote the lyrics per the request of band member Lewis Johnson. Johnson was also the program director of the Varsity Minstrel Show that raised funds for the university track team. He debuted the song at the minstrel show.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyes_of_Texas#cite_note-1][1][/url]

Obviously, the sip track team needs to be cancelled due to the deep-seated racist origins.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.