WTF TTech Chickball???

5,352 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dixichkn
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20200805/texas-tech-womens-basketball-players-describe-toxic-culture-fear-anxiety-and-depression

Quote:

In a series of season-ending exit interviews, players alleged a culture of abuse in the Texas Tech program since Stollings took over in April 2018. They say a toxic atmosphere has prompted an exodus of players, including 12 of 21 leaving the program, seven of whom were recruited under Stollings. Two players detailed these allegations to the NCAA and were granted waivers allowing them to play the next season.

USA TODAY Sports collaborated with The Intercollegiate, a college sports investigative media outlet that obtained Texas Tech's exit interviews with players from the past two seasons via public records requests. In addition to reviewing those documents and others, USA TODAY Sports interviewed 10 players, two former assistant coaches and two parents about the program. Six of the players spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation.
Caesar4
AG
That's pretty bad. Feel sorry for those women who had to endure, and the ones who are still having to endure that environment.
CanyonAg77
AG
Caesar4 said:

That's pretty bad. Feel sorry for those women who had to endure, and the ones who are still having to endure that environment.
Yeah, I love to give Tech a hard time, but I feel for those girls.

And, so far, we don't know how much the administration knew or when
Madman
AG
Rumor has it they were all locked in closet and forced to read Craig Jame's campaign literature from his failed run at Governor.
JustisWalkert
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2020/08/06/texas-tech-fires-womens-basketball-coach-marlene-stollings/3314466001/

Marlene Stollings was fired.
CanyonAg77
AG
JustisWalkert said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2020/08/06/texas-tech-fires-womens-basketball-coach-marlene-stollings/3314466001/

Marlene Stollings was fired.
Good.

Don't care about tech, but I can't stand to see kids mistreated
BohunkAg
AG
This lady sounds like a C U next Tuesday.....glad she was let go....Also the strength coach. Sounds like none of these people should ever be near college sports again.
rebag00
AG
Sounds like pretty Typical Tech to me. Let us not forget that they hired Bobby Knight and allowed him to get into a salad-throwing food fight with the AD in Market Street. Or all the Leach stuff. Or hiring the next senator from Alabama who left recruits with the check at Applebee's for Cincinnati. That place almost makes Baylor look reasonable. Almost.
RAB87
AG
There is no higher aspiration of today's college athlete than victimhood. I'm a victim, they're all victims, wouldn't you like to be a victim too?
ABATTBQ11
AG
RAB87 said:

There is no higher aspiration of today's college athlete than victimhood. I'm a victim, they're all victims, wouldn't you like to be a victim too?

Quote:

Emma Merriweather, a 6-5 center, said she was admonished by coaches for displaying symptoms of depression, for which she was eventually diagnosed. She was also allegedly told by assistant coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins to snap a rubber band on her wrist when she had a negative thought.

Five players alleged strength and conditioning coach Ralph Petrella sexually harassed players, making suggestive comments to one player and using a therapy technique that involved applying pressure to some players' chests and pubic bones and groins. Petrella, who denies any misconduct, resigned in March after the season.

Three players said Stollings retaliated by holding tougher practices after they brought abuse claims to school officials, including Judi Henry, executive senior associate athletic director and senior women's administrator.

That's just part of it. The part about forcing them to keep their heart rates up is sick too. If these allegations are true, and it seems like they are, this isn't a bunch of entitled players complaining. The behavior of that coaching staff was flat out wrong. These girls really were victims.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20200816/brewer-speaks-former-texas-tech-captain-backs-up-abuse-claims
CanyonAg77
AG
They got a good one now, I think.

Still don't like Tech, but still hate the abuse.

https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20200819/gerlich-this-is-greatest-day-of-my-professional-careerrsquo
ABATTBQ11
AG
The trainer stuff seemed like some Michigan State type ****. The fact they got punished in practice for bringing it forward is straight bull****. Considering everything else, no one on that staff should be allowed anywhere near athletes ever again.
hdrydor
AG
rebag00 said:

Sounds like pretty Typical Tech to me. Let us not forget that they hired Bobby Knight and allowed him to get into a salad-throwing food fight with the AD in Market Street. Or all the Leach stuff. Or hiring the next senator from Alabama who left recruits with the check at Applebee's for Cincinnati. That place almost makes Baylor look reasonable. Almost.

I thought he left the recruits at Hooters. Am I misremembering that??
ABATTBQ11
AG
No. It was somewhere else, but he straight up went outside to take a call and never came back.
dixichkn
AG
RAB87 said:

That's hardly limited to the athletes. That's people today in general. This give-me-victimhood-or-give-me-death mentality has been in full swing for the better part of the last 20 or 30 years
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.