Iowa is next on the block

2,550 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texan12
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29517486/iowa-football-kirk-ferentz-see-black-players-speak-program-racial-inequities
DifferenceMaker Ag
Black Weed Matters.
texan12
Bobby Knight sure is happy to not be coaching anymore.
Agsuffering@bulaw
"I knew Ferentz game me the best shot at the NFL, but he hurt my feelings in the process..."

"I may have made the league, but looking back I wish I could have had it both ways...of being an undsiciplined moron with a coach who felt my pain all day long but also becoming a disciplined football warrior!"

I doubt Ferentz is a racist in the original sense of the word. More likely he is just extremely insensitive.

Iowa currently has 4 black assistants. It looks like the scholarship athlete breakdown is ~50/50 with a few latinos sprinkled in.

But, this is just freaking rich!

1. Iowa routinely gets 2 and 3 star recruits drafted. I bet that per capita, Ferentz got more drafted than any other active coach.

2. Unheralded recruits and walk-ons are on a short leash everywhere.

3. Many coaches of both colors prohibit piercings, do-rags, loud music, profanity, clothing representing drugs/ violence/ misogeny/ alcohol abuse. The principal is discipline.

4. The Big Ten now guarantees 4 years of scholarship. If somebody cannot graduate with all the tutors, select classes, preferential scheduling...the person is either incredibly dumb and/or undisciplined.

5. If they were harshing on an all-conference WR, he must have been a real PITA.

Frankly, being a college coach is an extremely challenging job. Your livlihood depends on mostly undisciplined, coddled, unintelligent the genetic lottery winners. Whites and Blacks. Unlike the military, they cannot be imprisoned for disobedience.

Iowa is even tougher. Most know, but the state and region produce little talent. They fight with Wiscy, Neb and MSU for the scraps the big 3 and ND leave behind. They end up going South and West for more scraps.

Ferentz probably takes chances on characters the bigger programs will not. Nor surprisingly, he probably must enforce on more characters.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And FWIW, I heard that KState players felt Bill Snyder did not suffeciently consider their viewpoints. Snyder took the athletes Ferentz would not touch and got 1-2 drafted annually. Some years more.

This crap needs to stop. Few successful black coaches feel players pain either. John Thompson (GTown hoops) was supposedly a relentless drill sergeant.

The best coaches find a way to discipline harshly in a way that does not feel harsh. But, they dont stay at places like Iowa and KState.

ETA: I should have chosen my words more carefully. Snyder was an elite coach. Very few turned so much chicken crap into salad. He probably does not make it at a superbig b/c he would not mince words.
West Point Aggie
AG
At least when we had our black coach...he really got so much more out of our black players than anyone else could have!

...oh wait!
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Some of that's from 2009. I bet we could find enough ambiguous dirt on anybody in 11 years to write an article that paints them as a piece of *****

texan12
AgStuckinLBK said:

Some of that's from 2009. I bet we could find enough ambiguous dirt on anybody in 11 years to write an article that paints them as a piece of *****

Like how Saban allegedly doesn't care about player safety?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-dolphin-says-nick-saban-walked-over-convulsing-player/

I bet Saban will proudly admit he's an a-hole. Not every team can be relaxed, undisciplined, and successful like they are Miami of the 80s/90s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.