Is Lincoln Riley Overrated

2,505 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
Agsuffering@bulaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honest Question. Can't seem to find a technical article anywhere that tries to answer it. Got into a debate last night with a friend and realized I was not knowledgeable to be arguing the point.

I did notice Recruiting Class Rank

20: 8
19: 9
18: 6
----------Stoops retires in June '17
17: 11
16: 19
15: 15
14: 14
13: 16

Sagarin Ratings

19: 93.37
18: 90.99
17: 94.31
16: 93.21
15: 91.50
14: 81.48
13: 88.08
West Point Aggie
AG
He's made it to the CFP...
03_Aggie
West Point Aggie said:

He's made it to the CFP*...

*Because somebody from the PAC or Big xii has to...
TX_Aggie37
AG
He has been to the CFP with 1 loss in each of his first 3 seasons as HC. He has won 3 straight conference championships. Regardless of their conference or their results in those playoffs, that level of consistency out the gate is pretty spectacular and to me he is a great coach until proven otherwise. They may not be a top 3 team in the country year in and year out, but they are certainly top 10 and a perennial title contender. I would love for A&M to be in that realm. At the very least he is a strong to brilliant offensive mind and if you deny that then you are foolish.
Tamu_mgm
AG
I think he's properly rated as a top 10 coach in today's game. He's an elite offensive coach, but until he gets any semblance of a defense, he is not elite overall in my opinion. So I'd say he's pretty much properly rated.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Here is another interesting stat (if the source can be trusted):

Riley is only 46% Against the Spread.

Would love to hear from a sharp how much weight to give that stat.

https://www.tony*****s.com/2020/05/08/oklahoma-head-coach-lincoln-riley-ncaaf-ats-and-over-under-coaching-angles-5-8-2020/
West Point Aggie
AG
03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

We have not sniffed that kind of success since what? 1998...and even that may not have been good enough to make the CFP under the current setup.

Knocking him, especially by a program whose signature moment in the last generation (20 + years) is catching lightning in a bottle and beating #1 Bama, seems mock-worthy.

Sans the Fran years (barf) we truly are the definition of "ok" "decent" "nice"...meanwhile OU has won how many conference rings?
03_Aggie
West Point Aggie said:

03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

We have not sniffed that kind of success since what? 1998...and even that may not have been good enough to make the CFP under the current setup.

Knocking him, especially by a program whose signature moment in the last generation (20 + years) is catching lightning in a bottle and beating #1 Bama, seems mock-worthy.

Sans the Fran years (barf) we truly are the definition of "ok" "decent" "nice"...meanwhile OU has won how many conference rings?

What does any of that have to do with Lincoln Riley being a good coach or not?

Hood
AG
03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

Are you feigning stupidity or are you really that stupid?
03_Aggie
Hood said:

03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

Enlighten me. How does our historical success, or lack thereof, relate to a three year HC? How does OU's history factor into whether or not he's considered overrated? Seeing as he's only been there for three years?

Riddle me this, does OU make the playoffs if They played in the SEC, Big Ten or ACC the last three years?

ETA: I don't necessarily think he's overrated, but also not sure how good he really is. He's obviously better than Strong and Herman but I also think Sumlin makes the CFP his first two years if it existed and we were playing in the Big XII. I don't think anyone here is an outing Sumlin as some great coach.
Hood
AG
03_Aggie said:

Hood said:

03_Aggie said:

West Point Aggie said:

...meanwhile OU has won how many conference rings?
Enlighten me.
West Point Aggie finished with a question. You glossed over it and asked what ANY of it had to do with LR. The answer pertaining to LR is: every year he's been the OU head coach, he's won the Big12. All three years.

That's it. You're now enlightened. And it didn't take many words.
BronkNagurski
The TexAgs collective may be underappreciating the weakness of the BDF. With every year where the BDF 'champ' misses the playoffs or gets Round 1 cupcaked, the data builds. OU has been very consistent, they have a tradition of high achievement that extends decades prior to their current unfortunate conference alignment, and they market their relative strengths well to recruits. HOWEVER, they havent yet won a playoff game, and the last time they lined up versus A&M, they got pounded. Is this a better position to be in versus A&M, who plays several national champion contenders every year in conference? Does this make them more successful than A&M? Yes, and No. Yes, they have more wins per season and they make the playoff, where they take a pounding. No, it's pretty clear they are uncompetitive at the college football's high table, and SCOREBOARD.
Hood
AG
Your points about the competitiveness of the Big12 are well put. But if we get back to the focus of the thread, LR (regardless of conference difficulty) has finished 8-1 every year, won the Big12 every year, and has coached two Heisman winners. He's a top-tier offensive coach.
BronkNagurski
A top tier offensive coach, IMO, beats teams with top 20 defenses. . . In 2 of the last 5 years, there has been 1 BDF team whose defense ranked in the top 20. Baylol was #20 last year, and TCU was #16 in 2017. I believe OU won both games.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Riddle me this, does OU make the playoffs if They played in the SEC, Big Ten or ACC the last three years?

Big Ten- at least 1/3 years. Probably not more. They went into Columbus and beat tO$U. ACC and SEC - Not likely. They do not recruit enough.

BUT, what would joining the SEC or B1G do for their recruiting?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.