WHO THE ****

8,562 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by panhandlefarmer
turboboost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

How did I miss this ***** He has NOTHING! Guess where he graduated.

Randy Duke's Brother?
AgBQ-00
AG
Cliffs notes? Not a subscriber
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
MosesRAB-93
AG
Just copy the headline, paste in a new window, search, and click on link. It's how to get past 99% of paywalls.
Post removed:
by user
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks still blocks me though. Will try on other articles though
AgBQ-00
AG
My guess is this is some one trying to do the Randolf approach. Which has been shot down time and again.
This is a "so what" moment. Most legends have a degree of excess or exaggeration. It doesn't take away from the value or meaning.

The story of Gill is a great one and a big and meaningful part of college football history and tradition.

Now, if those guys copied and published the story, they should be held accountable.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

My guess is this is some one trying to do the Randolf approach. Which has been shot down time and again.

Apparently he was suing the University at one point because he sent a transcript for a chapter or introduction in a book he was writing on Gill to someone for review, and years later the guy published it to an A&M media relations page almost verbatim without crediting him. They took it down immediately after he complained, but it was spread far enough that he claimed he couldn't publish the book anymore.
West Point Aggie
AG
Oh sippies...they try so effin hard!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Madman
AG
Please please notice us over in Austin
West Point Aggie said:

What's the connection between this story and UT?
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
AgCat93
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Apparently he was suing the University at one point because he sent a transcript for a chapter or introduction in a book he was writing on Gill to someone for review, and years later the guy published it to an A&M media relations page almost verbatim without crediting him. They took it down immediately after he complained, but it was spread far enough that he claimed he couldn't publish the book anymore.

Just one small payback after 100+ years of sip stealing idea after idea after idea from whoever.
AgDotCom
33 said:

Now, if those guys copied and published the story, they should be held accountable.
That's what I thought this story was about. And agreed, you've gotta be a whole lotta stupid or dickless to pass someone's work along as your own, whether intentionally or dumbassedly.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgCat93 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Just one small payback after 100+ years of sip stealing idea after idea after idea from whoever.

He's not a sip, AFAIK. He's from Alabama and has written many books on sports history.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgDotCom said:

33 said:

That's what I thought this story was about. And agreed, you've gotta be a whole lotta stupid or dickless to pass someone's work along as your own, whether intentionally or dumbassedly.

I think it was several years after the guy sent it to him. The story was that he found it on his desk while cleaning it, and we were in the middle of some kind of lawsuit over the copyright. Supposedly he didn't remember where it had come from, but he also didn't think to ask.
Loyalty
AG
33 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Just figures. you guys are so stinking jealous of us these days. You can't take not being top dog
Round Rock AG said:

33 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Just figures. you guys are so stinking jealous of us these days. You can't take not being top dog

This makes no sense. I don't think you'll find any Longhorns or Aggies that are jealous. Most all Longhorns and Aggies are quite proud.

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Place me in the camp of who cares? The 12th man isn't a hero worship tradition. Students don't stand during games because that's what Gill would have wanted. Maybe closer to that the first years? Don't know, I wasn't there.

Every student that stands is a part of it. We make it what it is. Going after the story of the origination is just sad jealousy.

Hell, even if proven untrue I'm good with it remaining as a modern fable or allegory. The point is about how Aggies are there for each other. Standing at games, yelling, being as much a part of the team as possible. It's almost like they think "If I can only cast doubt on the exact E King Gill story those annoying yokels will stop being so annoying".

Rant mode off.
SchizoAg
AG
If the story was fake, then E. King Kill himself was a huge liar, and all of his contemporaries (many of whom listened to his 1964 Muster speech) were gullible fools. There was never any controversy about it during his lifetime.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/152458/listen-audio-resurfaces-of-gill-telling-12th-man-story/

Know how I know it's true? Because it's not even that great of a story. He suited up and stood ready to enter the game if called upon. But it would have made a much better story if he had entered the game.
goodAg80
AG
SchizoAg said:

If the story was fake, then E. King Kill himself was a huge liar, and all of his contemporaries (many of whom listened to his 1964 Muster speech) were gullible fools. There was never any controversy about it during his lifetime.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/152458/listen-audio-resurfaces-of-gill-telling-12th-man-story/

Know how I know it's true? Because it's not even that great of a story. He suited up and stood ready to enter the game if called upon. But it would have made a much better story if he had entered the game.
Agreed.
redline248
AG
SchizoAg said:

Know how I know it's true? Because it's not even that great of a story. He suited up and stood ready to enter the game if called upon. But it would have made a much better story if he had entered the game....after all his teammates threatened to quit, and then he sacked the QB.

FIF Sean Astin
highlonesomeaggie
AG
33 said:

West Point Aggie said:

The author of the Chronicle story graduated from tu.
Loyalty
AG
highlonesomeaggie said:

33 said:

West Point Aggie said:

The author of the Chronicle story graduated from tu.
Those tu people are so jealous. Article like this are the result. They cannot stand it that A&M surpassed them long ago in University and football status.
Paradise Ag
AG
SchizoAg said:

Let's just change the tale to Gill getting in the game and immediately scored the winning TD to give us a National Championship.

As my Pa used to say, "You gonna cry? I'll give you something to cry about."

A History Of Violence
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Thanks still blocks me though. Will try on other articles though

poors
panhandlefarmer
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/amp/Texas-A-M-Alabama-book-12th-man-legal-fight-15264638.php

I can't believe this is what some people do with their life. What a waste of skin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.